Getting Started: name 5 things you can put in your survival kit this weekend

Discussion in 'Essential Items' started by cluckeyo, Jun 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Thinking about getting started. What types of things do you already have on hand, or things that you could buy inexpensively this weekend, to get a start on your survival kit?
    1. a package of lighters
    2. a roll of aluminum foil
    3. a roll of duct tape
    4. 2 pr. reading glasses (Dollar Tree)
    5. a can of chili

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Lee CT NE and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I can't think of anything that I can add to my kit accept more flour, more gunpowder & more wadding, but these items don't go in until I am ready to leave home.

I do envy people who still have a ways to go, I enjoy Living History & Historical Trekking, but I sometimes think that the best years were when I was still starting out. So much to make & collect, improvements to clothing & equipment choices. Of course I made many mistakes, but I did enjoy it just the same. Now all my gear is just how it should be, & there is no more work to do in that regard. What I have will support me in the wilderness indefinitely, & in reasonable comfort.

Now my enjoyment comes from advising others on what to wear & what equipment is best to carry, that & teaching them the skills they need to survive. I truly wish I could think of something to add to my pack, but I have it all. Probably just as well, I feel the weight more these days ! o_O
    aBiSKgoo8GHWO5t2Afe49CNwW2wIklNF.jpeg
    Good post cluckeyo, well done.
    Keith.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    SunshineH, Lee CT NE and cluckeyo like this.
  3. glreese

glreese Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    1. a small supply of drinking water.
    2. some non perishable food items
    3. lighter
    4. rubbing alcohol.
    5. Knife.

These are the five things I would put in my survival kit. Actually, these are already in my survival kit.

Lee CT NE and cluckeyo like this.
  4. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    As far as I can recall. What I have readily available to put into my backpack right now is:

- My glasses.
    - Alcohol, antibiotics,anti inflammatory pills, gauze etc.
    - A sharped machete.
    - A set of matches.
    - A flashlight.
    - An ordinary knife.
    - Duct tapes.
    - Batteries.
    - Charcoal.
    - Spoon, forks etc.
    - My toothbrush.
    - a small

Everything mentioned is useful only for a headstart.

Lee CT NE and cluckeyo like this.
  5. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Light, Fire, Water, Cutting tools and dried fruit :)! So simple, so effective. Just 5 is way too few though, may as well just keep going with it :D

cluckeyo likes this.
  6. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Backpack, canteen, knife, salt and antibiotics. I would keep everything in my pack, use my canteen to carry water and gather water, use my knife to hunt and use the salt to cure some meats that I find. I would have the antibiotics in case I got sick.

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Pack Is ready

8. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    I can put water, bandages, a flashlight, batteries, and benedtyl in my kit this weekend.

9. SunshineH

SunshineH New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    so...getting started?
    First I look around the house to see what I've got. I'm a big fan of ziplock bags and some am finding a lot of uses for those!
    starting from zero I think I would start a go bag:
    -check through the kid's or DH's closet to find a backpack that no one is using
    -ziplock: first aid: whatever items I could find around the house (there is a bit to choose from!lol!)
    -ziplock: snacks: granola bars, tuna, candy
    -water: water bottles (to start, eventually I would upgrade to purification methods, etc)
    -ziplock: cash, sharpie, deck cards, some paper, twist ties (other small things I had ready...duct tape? sewing kit?)
    -BIG ziplock: extra socks, undies for everyone in the family (eventually upgrading to change of clothes for each)
    -travel kit: soap, shampoo, etc etc
    -BIG ziplock: important papers, copy of ids, etc, possibly extra keys, important phone #s...

I had a similar bag ready (more a supply tote for mua...came in really handy when I got a call last month and had to rush to the hospital)

All this can be done relatively cheaply to start...getting started is the most important part! Then you can upgrade as you go
    :D

10. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    1. A plastic drop cloth
    2. A box of strike anywhere matches
    3. An old hickory butcher knife
    4. Box of protean bars
    5. A pot at a garage sale or flea market

Keith H. likes this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    With some experience you will find that some of these items are not needed & just add weight & take up room. An ordinary knife? Think about that, what is an ordinary knife? What will this knife be used for?
    Spoon forks etc? You may need a spoon, but you don't need a fork & you already have a knife. Batteries will go flat, so why bother? What are the batteries to power? You don't need that either. Charcoal??? Machete is for jungle so if you are planning to be in a jungle, good, if not you are better off with a tomahawk/trade axe.
    Anyway, give this some thought & apply it to the rest of your gear if you think it is worthwhile.
    Keith.

12. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    One thing I have added lately, & this is still dependent on a trial run, is a drag cart or slide carr. I am getting on in years now & my footing is not as sure as it used to be, so I am going to try & use one of these drag carts to carry my pack.
    Keith.
    f50f6f064050b0aed745396909847ba5.jpeg

13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The native Americans called them travois and used them extensively. I have actually seen people make them with wheels on the back that allowed a person to comfortably carry some pretty large loads.

Five more thoughts.

1. A hank of paracord
    2. A box of hooks and sinkers
    3. A roll of wire for snares
    4. A roll of gauze
    5. A roll of duct tape

The gause and duct tape make great bandages.