Getting water from plants.

Discussion in 'Finding, Purifying, and Storing Water' started by SirJoe, May 26, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    These bowls might not be the most convenient to carry but it's a good way of getting some fresh water with very little hassle.

The only downside is that it does take a bit of time. To get that little bit of water it took 45 minutes.

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    This reminds me of a documentary I saw on tv some years back about the life of an African during a drought. There was this tribe who could subsist without water. They feed mostly on fruits and vegetables although they are hunters. But in the morning, they sip the blades of the grass for the dew. That dew seemed to be their only water ration for the day.

In one of our camp outs in a mountain resort, I witnessed the morning dew on the grass and leaves of the plants. Someone said that it can be collected for drinking. And my husband opined that the fastest way to collect the dew is to use a clean cloth, face towel maybe, and wipe the dew from the leaves. You can get a glassful of water in a few minutes with that technique.

3. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    In one of our camp outs in a mountain resort, I witnessed the morning dew on the grass and leaves of the plants. Someone said that it can be collected for drinking. And my husband opined that the fastest way to collect the dew is to use a clean cloth, face towel maybe, and wipe the dew from the leaves. You can get a glassful of water in a few minutes with that technique.

Yep that works, the water tastes horrible though! An excellent means if you are up early and there is dew enough!
    An old sheet of roofing iron can be used! prop about a metre above ground at about a 20 degree angle!
    At night the roofing iron chills quick and condensation forms on top and drains off, catch it!
    condensation also forms underneath if there is much ground moisture and also runs off, catch it!
    You don't catch much but there is no digging involved!

4. meganisonfire

meganisonfire New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I always wondered how you could collect dew off plants. I imagine that absorbing the water with a cloth would take some time. The sun may dry up the dew before you end up getting your glass of water. I do like the idea of using old sheet metal to collect the water. That seems like the most convenient method.

5. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    That would work and the water that you collect is clean and ready to drink provided they didn't treat it with pesticides. I once saw a documentary about people that got shipwrecked in Namibia and they would layout a large plastic tarpon to collect the dew water. They were able to survive and by eating what the ocean provided and the dew water.

Corzhens likes this.
  6. Lakeisha Brown

Lakeisha Brown New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Wow that is amazing. Is the collected water really safe to drink? Usually water has to be treated but if you are in the middle of know where trying to survive, I don't think it matters too much.

7. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    The water should be safe to drink because it works in the same way a still works. If you are stranded somewhere, you have to be careful with the water that you drink. The last thing that you want is to have dysentery. It can make the difference between making it out alive or not.