Glenn's Campfire Potatoes

Discussion in 'Finding, Identifying, and Preparing Food' started by cluckeyo, May 26, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    Mr. Cluckeyo knows how to cook over an open fire. The first time we went out camping, he made this recipe for breakfast, alongside some fried eggs and bacon, and a tall glass of cold milk. It is now a tradition. This recipe is the most delicious thing I have ever put in my mouth:

1 large potato w/ peel, cubed
    1 medium to large onion, chopped
    1 large bell pepper or 1/3 each of 3 multi-colored bell peppers
    ~3 TBSP butter cubed
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 large sheets aluminum foil

Get your fire going good and hot and let it go to coals. Dump all the prepared ingredients onto the foil, wrapping it and crimping the edges. Repeat 1 more time, covering it well from all angles. Now you have a nice, tight bundle to lay on your wire grate, over the coals. Turn it over about every 15 minutes. Probably turning it a total of 3 to 4 times. You will know when it is ready because when you presss on it, it will finally feel tender.

Yum, yum!!!

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Destiny likes this.
  2. Destiny

Destiny Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    That does sound delicious! I'd throw some fatty pieces of meat in there too and make it a full meal. Think I'll definitely make it next time I go camping or, hell, maybe in the burn out in the backyard!

cluckeyo likes this.
  3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Lol we call that skillet mess here as its made in the large cast irion skillet only we add cheese to ours and the eggs are scramble into it ham spam bacon. All cook well in ityes foil packs on or in the fire work good too

4. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That sounds like something my son could do on his grill. Yummy! You said to turn it every 15 minutes, and a total of 3 to 4 times...so .....about an hour, then? That's usually how long they take in an oven, so that sounds about right. Okay, you guys, I'm hungry now, so gonna run to the kitchen.

5. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    First time i made it for my daughter in law she wasnt sure i said ok close your eyes now try a bite she showed her mom how to make it

cluckeyo likes this.
  6. cluckeyo

95/140

Blog Posts:
    Yes about an hour. Very delicious!! And really good with bacon and eggs. We have this for supper sometimes, I figured out the oven version. But nothing compares to making it over a fire. Also he has done it on a charcoal grill too. The secret is to make sure it feels tender when you press on the foil.

7. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    Have you ever cooked using the ground as a Dutch oven of sorts? I have heard about people doing this, cooking in-ground, and wondered if there are any tricks to it.

8. cluckeyo

95/140

Blog Posts:
    I have heard of building a pit out of concrete blocks down in the ground, and roasting a pig in it. Never tried it though. We have wild pigs around here so I was curious how to cook one, googled it, though I never have tried it.