Goats

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by Tom Williams, Feb 7, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    People belive goats are easy to raise lol this is far from true they require very define diets when raiseing them for milk or meat lb for lb a goat eats and needs more feed than a cow fence for goats must be strong and well mantained and they still will get out male goats are dangerous tho small the can put a hurtin on you quick and easy when in rut this is 2x more true as they want and protect the does more.

2. poltiregist

poltiregist Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Tom your observation on the goats is valid but I consider my milk goat a huge asset to my survival possibilities . Not all goats are wild and dangerous . My nanny goat is as gentle and tame as a pet dog . My billy was raised in a big field until he was about 9 months old and is a little wilder .It seems to me how wild a goat is depends on how it was raised . My Nubian nanny goat at highest production gives about three quarters of a gallon per day of cream rich milk . IT would relish most green leaves I might feed it and will simply survive on stuff a cow wouldn't . In an apocalyptic situation going to the feed store or running motorized farm equipment may not be possible . I consider my goats so valuable in such a situation that I would definitely consider sleeping close to them to keep them from being stolen .

Ystranc likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I love goat meat.

4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    ... and they do stink.

5. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    not if their cooked well!!!:p

6. poltiregist

poltiregist Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    only because it could have a serious ramification for some-ones survival I will say , my neighbors dogs smell worse than my goats . I know goats have a reputation of smelling bad , and I haven't been around that many goats ,but mine doesn't have a noticeable odor . Now I did put my pen fairly close to my home so I could keep a close tab on them in case of an apocalyptic situation . The pen itself will put off an odor on warm days ,due to excrement .

7. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I also keep a little livestock and one of my neighbours keeps goats. These goats seem gentle enough and are much less aggressive than my rams. I think it very much depends on what breed you choose to raise and how much early interaction you have with them. Most of my stock has been bucket trained, even when I kept beef bullocks...its just easier to lead animals then it is to drive them.
    The only thing that freaks me out a little about goats is the way some of the young kidds bleat, it sounds almost human in the distance.

8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Goats around here are as common as hogs as far as domestic livestock. Mexicans are big on goats and chickens. The male of most species is a bit of a problem at times unless you get on top of them and stay there. A boar hog will eat you up if you don't handle them right and a Longhorn bull can be a pill at times. A tom turkey is a monster at times and a Gander will attack a bull. I personally have never met an animal that I can't teach manners to with a bull whip or a hotshot. Goats can provide you with so much. Meat, milk and even wool in some species they are the perfect size for a world where you don't have freezers for storing large quantities of meat. Big animals always provide more meat for the amount of feed but the smaller species are sort of meal sized and usually breed faster and reach eatable size faster.

Goats are great eating. You can get cabrito in most of the Mexican restaurants here and it is available in stores. What we don't have here is sheep. I have never eaten a sheep in my life. I think that it may be too hot here for them to do well.