Good Cooking Tools..

Discussion in 'Cooking and Cooking Utensils' started by watcherchris, Nov 26, 2022.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    good cooking tools...
    11-26-2022, 06:11 PM
    As a youngster..I learned from both my mother and father ....to cook sufficient to not starve.....and have been able to make do on my own since leaving the nest so to speak.

Don't misunderstand me...here..I dearly love it when a good woman cooks for me ...and or spoils me with a fine meal from her Heart....but I have always believed that a man should know how to tend for himself....cook...wash clothes...clean and maintain...et al.

Buit I love a fine meal prepared by a good woman who knows how to cook...not just microwve...but cook and from the Heart...

Now...........

With that in mind...and of recent watching some U Tube videos on cooking and even the tools for cooking.....it has become a new learning curve.

What has happened is that I got woke so to speak about how much good long lasting cooking tools cost.!!! Wow!!!!!!

I have made do with cast iron and like my mother the copper bottom stainless frying pans...and pots by Revereware.

However...of recent I made an investment in a stainless steel pan....from a company called Made in.

This one here...

Amazon.com: Made In Cookware - 3 Quart Saucier Pan - Stainless Clad 5 Ply Construction - Induction Compatible - Professional Cookware - Made in Italy: Home & Kitchen

So far I have been pleased with this pan as it does not splatter as much with these high walls as my more shallow stainless steel copper bottomed pans at 2 inch height.

I also spent the monies and bought a Dutch Oven....this one here...

Amazon.com: Staub Cast Iron 4-qt Round Cocotte - Graphite Grey, Made in France: Dutch Ovens: Home & Kitchen

I am also looking down the road at another knife block set...and willing to spend the monies on that too....

Nonetheless...it is a bit of a surprise to find what it costs for good kitchen tools.

To my continued Education...never too late to learn.

My non Ishmaelite .02,
    Watcherchris

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Will take my time and research the new knife block set for my kitchen ....a bit more.

I got a feeling that this item can get very very pricey...

My current set is by a company called Chicago Cuttery and they work fine..but thinking down the road on this....

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I nearly always cook my own breakfast . My go to and favored skillet is a stainless steel skillet . It cooks well and is a skillet that I can do some scrubbing on to clean it up without fear of destroying some kind of fancy finish . Also hanging beside it is two cast iron skillets but I simply prefer the stainless steel .

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

LOL LOL LOL LOL Poltiergist....

You have me laughing to myself...as I too have a frying pan ...stainless just for breakfast eggs....that is all I cook in it. I have other frying pans for other stuff...but this one just for eggs

Have cast iron too...even the two of the tall three-inch ones in which I am often doing fried potatoes and onions. There is something about fried potatoes and onions which just drives us two legged roaches out of the woodwork. But these three inch tall cast iron frying pans are heavy.

Agree about the fancy finish..and have never been impressed with this nonstick stuff. Not for me thanks.
    How did we ever survive for centuries without nonstick???

Like cast iron and stainless too.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  5. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Today I was doing a survival run on making my own hot pepper for putting in various dishes . I grew my own pepper , dried it hanging on a thread from a cedar beam in my living room and then pulverized it . I tried a mortar and pestle but quickly decided to cheat and ground it up using an electric coffee bean grinder . That was the worst part . The air was full of hot pepper dust and it had the snot running . I want different seasonings that I can grow forever after SHTF . --- Also came in the mail yesterday 3 dozen reusable canning lids made by tattler .

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to cooking never take the cheap route on your equipment, always spend that bit extra and get quality...it makes life easier, trust me when I say this ... I'm an outstanding cook ;)

1. Ystranc
      My favourite frying pan came from a thrift store £3 because quality cookware will often outlast the original owner

Ystranc, Nov 27, 2022
      poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Og kill. Og gather. Og bring home food. Woman cook.
    Woman cook good. Og not. Og only make fire.

upload_2022-11-27_19-5-40.png

TMT Tactical likes this.