.gov Commodity Food

Discussion in 'The Hangout' started by randyt, Apr 5, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      385/460

Blog Posts:
    I think I could live on commodity food given to me with out having to buy much for groceries. Rice, oatmeal (oatmeal or no meal) peanut butter, canned meats, juice, milk, powdered eggs etc. I don't understand why these folks don't utilize it and give it away. It's not fancy fare but the canned meat makes a awesome SOS.

I'm convinced for the most part this commodity food is used by someone other than who it was meant to be used by. It's all good, not complaining, at least it's getting et up. vittles are vittles

Caribou likes this.
  2. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Randy,

I've sampled USDA commodity foods; butter ,cheese (Wisconsin), peach clings in heavy syrup (California, Georgia, South Carolina), ...

Got opportunity to sample above circa US forces assigned to NATO Europe got into the political situation of whether to purchase dairy products from nearby Denmark with the lower cost or dairy products from Wisconsin, USA with the additional large cost of transportation. After much Defense Department research, Wisconsin products were procured.

Re: " ... used by some other than what is was meant to be used by,";

On some of the US north eastern radio stations I pick up on AM radio, there's a public service announcement about "1 in 7 children" going to sleep hungry. Where does the public assistance food go ? Does our nation not have departments of social services with social workers ? What do these social workers do, if anything ?

Meanwhile, back at the food distribution line, ...

Over the weekend, my rural county had some churches and emergency responders give out bags of food to cars in line at a big box store parking lot. Got some emails from colleagues who observed the distribution lines. Was told of GMC Yukons and many F-150 trucks in line along with the late model soccer mom vans.

Our country's problems are not food nor medical care nor public safety. These are the manifestations - the results of the problems.

Caribou and randyt like this.
  3. randyt

385/460

Blog Posts:
    Here is some of it goes, just a example. Young father has a food card, young father buys a hundred dollars worth of food and then sells it to his buddy for 1/2 price. Or know the shopkeeper and buy cigs and beer using food card, fifty cents on the dollar. I've seen this first hand.

Caribou likes this.
  4. randyt

385/460

Blog Posts:
    Best MRE I ever had was Canadian Armed Forces issue.

Caribou likes this.
  5. poltiregist

poltiregist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    In Nam the cooks that supplied our fresh prepared meals were Vietnamese . I was afraid of a mass poisoning so rarely ate their food . I lived off of MRE 's . That was no problem for me as I was raised from childhood eating stuff on the farm that todays kids would refuse to eat . I liked to suck the raw innerds out of eggs mainly to watch my friends faces take on a sickened look .

Caribou and randyt like this.
  6. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    One out of seven kids go to bed hungry? A- never believe anyone that wants your wallet. Even if what they are telling you is true your cash won't change a thing, they'll still have the same parents. B- Never saw a kid that wasn't hungry 24/7, it's part of growing.

randyt likes this.