Grass bed

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by Corzhens, May 30, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Have you slept on a grass bed like what some movies depict about jungle life? It was a weekend when we were scheduled to clean up the extended garden in the vacant lot beside our property. There was plenty of grass that we piled up like a haystack. I asked my husband if it's true that the grass could be made into a bed and he replied with action. Under the mango tree, he piled the grass to make a bed and asked me to try it. Of course, I didn't because I know he was just teasing me. But he was serious. And then another story.

When they camped by the side of the famous Wawa dam in Rizal province, their sleeping mat was a big mat made of jute sack. The side of the dam is stony since most rivers in the mountains are like that, rocky and stony. He made a cushion made of grass so he was comfortable in sleeping. And for a demo, he got just that, some nylon sacks that he placed on the grass bed. Indeed, the grass bed is comfortable.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Stuff that grass in a couple trash bagsholds it in place better and waterproof

3. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I've tried grass beds before. When I was a kid, there was a lot of farmland around. The babysitter who took care of me when my parents weren't home lived on the edge of a soybean field and wheat field. During the years when the crops were being rotated, long grass would grow. Us kids used to get so excited when the mowers would come through and raze down the long grass. We'd collect the clumps, bring out a huge old sheet, and stuff all the grass beneath it. Rolling around that gigantic, makeshift mattress was so much fun. Not to mention it was indeed quite comfortable.

John Snort likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes I have slept on a grass bed when it was available, these days I lie on a bed of sticks, there is very little grass in a forest. Bracken leaves make for a good bed, as do reeds. In my wigwam in the forest I have a bed of the inner bark from the Stringybark tree.
    Keith.
    [​IMG]

5. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    Never had the need for setting grass beds in the wilderness. Because I always bring a hammock with me, they are easy an light to carry inside a backpack. For those that don't know, a hammock is a sling made of fabric, rope, or even netting, suspended between two separated points. It normally consists of one or more cloth panels stretched with ropes between two firm anchor points such as trees trunks or posts. You can even arrange it inside a camping tent given you manage to put inside a pair of solid rods which allows to hang the two ends of a hammock.

6. SirJoe

SirJoe Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I have never sleeped in a grass bed but I'm certainly not opposed to the idea. It does sound comfortable and I don't doubt that you would sleep well. When I was younger I remember falling asleep on the lawn and really enjoying it, I can just imagine how good it must be to have a bed made out of grass.

7. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I have never slept on a bed of grass, but I have memories of wanting to do this as a child. Surprisingly, I've slept on pebbled rocks and found it extremely comfortable. I'd love to sleep on a pike of grass to see if it was comfortable or not. At that point, I don't think I'd be worried about bugs or critters in the bed of grass. If you were looking to make the bed of grass even more comfortable, taking a blanket over the grass would probably make for a less itchy bed. The next time I'm outside raking leaves, I think I might try to make a bed of leaves and lay in it. I'd imagine you'd get somewhat of the same effect.

8. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    A hammock is as far as I am concerned just extra weight & of no use. You are vulnerable in a hammock strung between trees in a survival situation. You can't use a fire for cooking in bad weather & access it from your hammock. A small smokeless fire will not heat you in your hammock. You still need to carry a shelter to cover your hammock. I have better & more important things to carry than a hammock. I would sooner use a stick bed & carry more gunpowder & lead than carry a hammock.
    Just my personal preference.
    Keith.

9. judyd1

judyd1 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I don't see why it wouldn't be comfortable. People used to sleep in hay all the time, and thought nothing of it. Grass would be softer. And the smell would be great, if you don't have hay fever. If they were stuffed into trash bags, and then a sleeping bag used, it would definitely be better than sleeping on the hard ground.

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Back in the 50s this was a common method for camping. We carried what was called a "Tick", a large bed sized cotton or linen bag, sometimes called a "grass tick". You simply fill it with hay or grass to make a mattress.
    Keith.