New Member Greetings From The Philippines!

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by briareos, Jul 26, 2017.

New Member Greetings From The Philippines! 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. briareos

briareos New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    name's Toph, kinda new in the scene, so I'm looking to learn from everyone

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day to you Toph, & welcome to this forum.
    Keith.

3. LOUIE RODRIGUEZ

LOUIE RODRIGUEZ New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    hey guys! am new here looking for anything to learn from experts like you ... greetings from the Philippines

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day & welcome to this forum. No experts here Louie, always more to learn.
    Keith.

5. LOUIE RODRIGUEZ

LOUIE RODRIGUEZ New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    thanks keith, i am eager to learn about being prepper and survivalist since i work in disaster risk reduction management in the philippines.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Joe Gar

Joe Gar New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hey there! Also from the Phils. Am sure will learn a lot here.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day Joe & welcome to this forum.
    Keith.

8. Joe Gar

Joe Gar New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    The Philippines is in proximity of Guam which is threatened by North Korea. Can anybody give me possible scenarios of what might happen just in case? Thanks!

9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well I guess if that madman uses nukes Joe, you could all be wiped out. Depends on how close you are & the prevailing winds.
    Keith.

10. Joe Gar

Joe Gar New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Today is the day NOKOR is supposed to strike at Guam. While we pray that it does not happen, we must be prepared here in the Phils. When it happens, what should be the first thing that we do here? Any info will be useful. Help us please. Thank you!

11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I seem to recall that taking iodine combats nuclear radiation. I suggest you look it up on the net for instructions.
    Keith.

12. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    (There is a reason why many simply cannot take these kinds of venues seriously any more. This comment is a good example of why.)

In short ....

• Potassium Iodide (KI) tablets, also colloquially known as Rad Pills, will block radioactive iodine (Iodine-131) from being absorbed by the thyroid gland. It will therefore protect the gland from radiation injury. Ergo, it should be kept on hand for that limited application.
    • KI will not protect the rest of the body from I-131.
    • Table salt, iodine rich foods, et al., do not contain enough iodine to block radioactive iodine.
    • There are potentially serious side effects that can occur when taking KI. Not all people can safely take KI.
    • Adults over 40, generally, unless directed by emergency management or their physician, should not take KI. People in this age range have the lowest chance of developing thyroid cancer and have the highest chance of experiencing negative side effects.
    • Taking KI will not, repeat not, protect you from other radioactive nuclides (e.g., Caesium-137, Strontium-90). Depending on this alone will get you killed in a radiological emergency.
    • Surviving radioactive fallout involves the big three factors: time, distance, and shielding. If you want to survive fallout, you need a properly constructed shelter and at least two (2) weeks supplies for the humans that will inhabit said.
    I hope that helps OP. If you need resources on sheltering, measuring radiation, etc., I can put that together.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017