Grenfell Issue In News Again

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, May 25, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52771270

Good morning all,

SIDEBAR: Today is Memorial Day in US. Condolences to those memorializing lost Veterans.

Yesterday I posted something about the Grenfell fire. It's indirectly in the news today because of planning recommendations in re allowed use of wood in buildings.

Article tells of - "contradictions" - .

Regardless of the scientific guidance of the experts, I'll be avoiding Norway's "plyscraper" buildings - and also the counterparts in North America. Plus, a big icing on the cake, I avoid elevators to the max.

Article has picture of a proposed wood-based football stadium....Not sure if safe w/ or w/o social distancing unless fire extinguishers are kept horizontal and cover every 2 meters of seating space. After 15 to 20 Whitstones, the fans still won't activate the extinguishers causing problems. Problems come after the game whether the wood is laminated or not.

2. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    The article is quite misleading in the Grenfell was, of course, a concrete building and it was the cladding that spread the fire.

Wooden buildings have always had an associated fire risk, but in modern homes there are so many flammable items (plastics/modern carpets etc) that it is maybe a disproportionate suggestion from our government.

3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Brownbear,

Appreciate clarifying the Grenfell cause of fire.

So true, although wooden structures can become fuel for fire, more dangerous is the use of candles, storing flammable liquids in house (eg Coleman lantern napha fuel). There were efforts to get carpets and rugs "fireproofed" but recall the retardants caused cancer - at least as reported - and many no longer even buy carpets and rugs.

4. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I agree, and there is no foolproof way to fireproof something.

I often wonder of the modern proliferation of electronics has increased the incidence of building fires.

5. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Nope. Lithium-Ion battery only explode internally not combust unless the battery is big enough, than it might explode all the out. So nothing to be worry from fire hazard

6. Brownbear

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I was not thinking of just batteries, more TVs, PCs etc and phone chargers etc left on without an appliance attached.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    most people leave their phones on charge all night or have them by their bedside, I think the possibility of fires starting is right there, more electrical stuff in houses these days too, sockets get overloaded, the wiring gets old.

Brownbear likes this.