Grid Down: Power tools in a powerless world!

Discussion in 'Creating and Using Electricity' started by Stevie, Mar 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Stevie

Stevie Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    "POWER tools in a POWERLESS world"...........isn't that a contradiction in terms?:D i'm going with HAND tools and I keep adding and adding to my stock.

3. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Basic hand tools allways work when world shuts down got more to worry about than how to keep power tools charged

lonewolf likes this.
  4. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    my thoughts exactly!!:D

5. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Gee how did they survive before the power grid ? Hard work they worked together as a team i just addd two mules to the home they are broke to ride and started as a pull team i feel they are a good add to the place

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i'm looking at Donkeys post SHTF- we don't get many mules in the UK.

7. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    I got these two out of tennasee off old usmc friend two year old male and female not brother and sister so breeding will be ok

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    that's strange, I think I read somewhere that you couldn't breed mules, that they were in some way infertile or something? like I say we don't get many mules in the UK.

9. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    We see what happens when they get horny idk

10. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Allways got the mrs mustang stud he do it i guess. That thing HATES ME LOL

11. Stevie

Stevie Member
      11/23

Blog Posts:
    I appreciate the comment. The article was written to spark a discussion.

When the grid collapses for an extended period of time, I believe that hand tools are a necessity... However, when you need to barricade your doors and windows for example, it could take days if you didn't already have materials cut down to size. But if you can keep your power tools going for a while, you've got an advantage that many others won't. A lot of people are already considering solar for other reasons. Why not solar for your power tools too? That was the point that I was trying to make.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in the UK a lot of people precut timber to barricade doors and windows, even sometimes to pre fitting bolts and other fittings ready , just in case!!
    solar might be good for some, i'm going the Amish route(minus the religion) and going completely hand powered, I lived like that before and will do so again.

Stevie likes this.
  13. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    Remember this gas and propane may be tuff to get small solar lights can get at dollar tree for a buck handful of these good investment

14. Offthegrid

Offthegrid New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    We have some power tools that run on rechargeable batteries. In a pinch, the batteries could be charged with our portable solar generator. If we had to use that generator for more than the bare necessities (cell phones, batteries for flashlights and lanterns) I'd want to have two or three of them to ensure we could keep up with the demand.

15. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    A suppressed genny and large barrel of fuel
    will get me by for power tools etc
    Wont last for ever but it will ease the transition
    I do have hand tools and have used them but I see no reason to do things the hard way if a little higher thinking means
    a pile of labour and time can be saved for other things!

Most preppers/survivalists worry about food security water etc but forget about time and effort!
    I spent several years out bush of grid well off most everything except the radio!
    Doing things the old way is ok but to do everything the old way is very time and effort consuming!
    It took me 11 days of 14hours per day to do 2km of fencing by hand!
    A few years later after power was available I did a similar 2km of fencing in four ten hour days
    and was not a wreck the following mornings!
    NO I will use power any way I can get it while I can
    I have lived the no power life and it takes its toll, fine I suppose if I was young eager but those days are gone
    I will do things the easy way! without busting OPSEC of course!

Offthegrid likes this.