Grief and Survival

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by audacior, May 27, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. audacior

audacior New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    As sad as it may be, a dangerous situation may result in the injury or death of a friend or family member. This could be extremely sad. Myself, I would mourn for them for a day, then focus on surviving myself, and allowing myself to save the rest of the mourning for after the ordeal. I would know that they would want me to survive.

How would you deal with grief?

2. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    I think I would deal with grief in the same way as you. Is quite unpleasant to think about it, and grief is something that one can't be properly prepared until you really have to deal with it.

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    mourn if you wish, but don't let your guard down for even 1 minute or you may be joining them.

4. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I would deal with grief by embarking on a spiritual journey of reconciling with my Maker in a bid to appease Him with regard to my fallen comrade. Pent up grief is emotionally draining so its good for a grieving person to allow him or herself to grieve in any way possible for the heavy load to be lifted in order for a person to start picking the pieces from there to reconcile with myself.

5. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I don't think it's realistic to try and say how you would deal with grief until it happens. It's very easy to say that you would not focus on your grief or let your guard down but if the time actually came you can't say what you would do. We are human beings and our emotions are complex, no amount of preperation can change the flood of emotions that occur when you lose a loved one.

6. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    grief in a survival situation will be different from grief in normal times.
    grief in normal times will allow a time for mourning and reflection, in a survival situation you still have to look out for number one, you still have to find food and water and get out from under what ever situation you find yourself in, in other words it will be anything BUT normal.

7. Lisa

Lisa Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    In times of grief one of the common responses is a lack of concern about the persons own survival, finding food and water no longer seem that important. To simply ignore the strength of the human grief response would be unwise.

8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Mourning is different for everyone. Personally, I would stop what I was doing and make my way home for whatever my family and friends were deciding to do. As much as I love to travel and enjoy my adventures, there comes a point where you need to respect the people that love you and go home. I would stay home temporarily until the service took place. I don't think I'd have it in me to continue traveling, knowing that a friend of mine had passed away. It's hard to concentrate on your own survival (especially if it's by choice) when you're dealing with the loss of someone that played a significant role in your life. If it wasn't possible for me to make my way home, I would have my own sort of service and talk out loud about my friend.

9. HealthandVitality

HealthandVitality New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    I would agree with you Lisa, when it comes to a subject like grief, it is not something that anyone would like to happen to them, it just happens in life as the human body is not eternal. You cannot foretell how you would react when it does, it is just an automatic reaction that requires an emotional, mental, psychological response at that particular point in time.

Lisa likes this.
  10. QtheMyst

QtheMyst Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    It is almost impossible to know how grief will affect you until after it has happened. However, in a survival situation, at least you are likely to be very busy with the basic work of the day, providing food, water, and shelter. This alone could make the grieving process a bit easier to deal with, as productive work does tend to help alleviate sadness and depression. It's a scary thing to think about though!

11. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Grief takes hold of an empty mind same as fear!
    Occupy your mind and deal with it in little bits! It works for me!

12. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    Others have said it already, but I think I'll also chime in. Grief is different for everybody. While I nodded at, "They would want me to survive," I also feel that I would need to take at least a moment to cherish the time I had with the person while they lived. I'm not the most emotional human being, but if I learned that my parents died during a cataclysm, I probably would not be able to function for a few days. I'd be beside myself. Sure, I'd realize I need to get stuff done, but... I wouldn't know how long it would take for me to accept their passing until it actually (and inevitably) happens.

13. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have lived a peaceful life that is free from big tragedies. Let's say in a plane crash and I am the only survivor of my family, I would surely be in a state of shock and the trauma may last longer than expected. When my father died of liver cancer, we already have a warning since what killed him was a terminal case. But when he died, we were still stunned as if we were in denial.

In news reports where deaths occur in accidents, I usually see the survivor being interviewed. It is normal for the survivor not to answer the question of the media logically since they are in a state of shock. Some even cry without letup. If that would happen to me that a family member would die and I would be left to survive, it would be the saddest part of my life.

14. terryse

terryse Member
      13/23

Blog Posts:
    There is only so much you can do about a given situation and problem such as death. I will face the fact that we have no control over death, except to the extent of delaying it temporarily by maintaining healthy bodies. I will not deprive myself of grieving and mourning as suppressed feelings may cause enough internal stress to leave you functioning below your optimum.

15. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    So long as grieving doesn't make you careless as far as your own life is concerned. If it is possible I advise that you take shelter somewhere and allow yourself to mentally rest.

There is really no telling where your emotions might take you. Some times it can be very dangerous to try to bury your emotions because they are bound to come out in one way or another.

The time and place that these emotions rear their head can be a matter of life and death situation.