Grouse Loads

Discussion in 'Ammo - Types, Usage, Reloading, ETC.' started by randyt, Jul 24, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I did a search and didn't see any posts pertaining to grouse loads. The grouse loads I'm referring to are rifle cartridges down loaded with a light weight projectile, specifically for small game hunting.

Years ago Townsend Whelen loaded up 30-06 with a full patch bullet and a modest powder charge. He referred these to grouse loads and carried some with him on his excursions.

I load up grouse loads for my 30-30 using resized buckshot and a small charge of powder. I use these in my 94 winchester.. That is a benefit of a 94 winchester, the receiver is open on top and it is a simple matter to slip a round in the chamber. I have not fed grouse loads through a tube magazine..

These grouse loads are quiet and pack a decent punch. Certainly not as handy as a 22 mag but just another option.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting randyt. I did not know about the Grouse Loads. Cool idea.

randyt likes this.
  3. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    here is another method, it's called the hammond game getter. It uses a ramset charge and a sized buckshot. This one is for my 30-06. It seems to work pretty good..

here's a photo of the base

77e53818330e2f3e2e74ba71dc8ee19c.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have other plans for the Ramset cartridges and now I have another use for them. How about a picture of the completed cartridge? Thanks for posting.

5. randyt

415/460

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.