Gun Range Kimber Status Report.

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by watcherchris, Jul 29, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Stopped in a country store and picked up a Kimber .45 ACP 1911 style pistol last weekend.
    Finally got around to shooting her...and she is dead nuts accurate shooting 230 grain full metal jacket round nose bullets.

This model here...

https://www.kimberamerica.com/custom-tle-em

No feeding or ejecting issues with round nose full metal jackets of 230 grain weight.

However.....she does not feed cast lead bullets from the magazine.

I suspect that the close machine tolerances are not conducive to cast lead bullets. The cast lead bullets shoot and eject well when manually feeding them from the gun with the magazine removed...but not from the magazine.

Also at about 100 rounds shot...she ns no where near broken in....but this cast bullet issue is noted.

My Charles Daley 1911 has no issues with cast lead bullets..but then I am sure the machine tolerances are no where near as tight as with this Kimber.

https://www.charlesdaly.com/product.php?id=433

Will continiue to work with this Kimber....and get her broken in.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Kimber has been cleaned and a thin coat of that Dow Corning M55 silicone O ring grease applied as a moisture barrier.

She is back on the ready line ..hot to go...and the spent brass has been sorted out, put into trays, ready to begin the process of reloading.

Figure I need to put another 200 rounds of .45 ACP jacketed bullets through her to get her broken in.
    No hurry.

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

3. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    bumping thread....

4. kilo4okc

kilo4okc Expert Member
      176/230

Blog Posts:
    One thing to think about if it continues to not feed the cast bullets, what happens if/when SHTF and you are having to cast your own bullets because that is all there is? One of my reasons for favoring wheel guns.

watcherchris and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    kilo4okc,

I like wheel guns....and have a Taurus Tracker in .45 ACP and she shoots every bit as accurately if not more accurate than this Kimber. It uses the Star Clips to hold in the ammunition.

here..

https://www.gunblast.com/images/Taurus_Tracker/Mvc-001f.jpg

I generally prefer wheel guns to semi autos in handguns.

I like the .357 magnum and also the .41 Magnum..and have this calibration in wheel guns as well as lever rifles.

I like the concept of having a revolver of sufficient calibration and bullet weight to match a rifle.

I also enjoy a good .22 LR in handgun and rifle..preferably a pump or lever gun....though I also have this in combination guns...shotgun with .22 rifle over the top.

I also have a .22 LR in Henry lever rifle to match a Ruger Governmnent MK II pistol. This pistol as well is very very accurate.

I reckon I like accuracy in certain tools if it can be obtained.....and wheel guns can be very accurate.

My non Ishmaelite .02,

Watcherchris.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:

I am thinking that many cast bullets are not as carefully sized as are copper jacketed bullets.

Thinking that Cast bullets often need to be run through a sizing die to get them to the right diameter..in this case .452 Diameter.

These dies are available from the reloading companies.

But also that while this pistol is no where near broken in......it also has a more precision chamber dimension in the target grade barrel than the standard 1911.

I first ran across this concept in a Thompson Contender 14 inch long barrel chambered in .35 Remington.

Reloads which would cycle well in a Marlin lever gun in .35 Remington would not chamber in the Thompson Contender...and close the action. Much more careful sizing of the brass is needed for chambering the more precision machined Thompson Contender.

This was my first hint or lesson that not all chamber dimensions are the same.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    There is SAMMI (sp) spec and then there is precision spec. Unless I plan to shoot competitively, I will go with SAMMI spec. I want my firearms to shoot everything in their caliber.