Guy builds a mud hut with nothing but primitive tools

Discussion in 'Primitive Shelter' started by cyclistbabe, Jun 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. cyclistbabe

cyclistbabe New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:

I love this youtube channel! Please check out these videos, they are very simple and informative and contain so much useful information that it's nearly insane.

Billie Martin likes this.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Expert Member
      146/173

Blog Posts:
    I love this guy's channel, I learned so much about surviving by watching his videos it's crazy. I love this mud hut design, I tried it once and I was able to do it in one day, it was a really fun experience. I'm now attempting this tiled roof hut but that will take a while:

3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    I saw plenty of those bahareque style housing in the southamerican countryside. There, a sample image of a typical bahareque shelter made by aboriginal people completely made with local natural resources employing roughly a
    similar technique:

240px-Bahareque_llanos_house_from_Venezuela.JPG

It was also widely used by European Conquerors during the age of colonization (Post columbus) in America. Our ancestors adapted aboriginal techniques and also adding adobe as the main material for building.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    These are very good basic skills to have. Many people believe everything revolves around the technology and advanced tools and equipment. However, what if there is a catastrophe and these technological gadgets are not available or workable? Its skill like that in the video will enable people to function and survive the adversaries.

5. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I've watched and posted some of his videos here in the forum. Although he doesn't talk in the videos, his videos are well executed and you pretty much can pick up on how to do these task. The kiln was something I never seen done before, so that was a very good video to watch. All you need is the right dirt mixture and patience. That is a lot of tiles that he made. The underground, floor heating system was neat. Never thought of that one before.

6. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    What an ingenious build!!! In South Africa, they use cow manure and mud mixed together to build mud huts. Apparently, the sun dries the mud and manure so that any smell or odor disappears.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    if you haven't got a permanent shelter post SHTF your going to have to build something like this, a brush shelter is okay if its short term or your moving around, but if you want to put down roots and farm then you need something a bit more solid and durable.

8. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I love how simple these things are and yet they are impossible to learn about through conventional means...in order to learn about any of this, you basically have to either seek it or be exposed to it and immediately recognize its value, otherwise its just another video on youtube.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    wattle and daub is a very simple way of building and should be understandable to even the most uneducated.
    it would be possible to practise in a very small back yard by doing just a small panel of it, provided of course one collected the necessary materials for it first.

10. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure anybody could learn this in 10-20 mins if they're intuitively minded, the irony there is that its so easy and yet I bet I could walk up to most of the people around me right now and they'd have no idea how easy it is.

11. tb65

tb65 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I saw this video a while back. This guy does a lot of cool stuff. I saw how he made charcoal out of some wood too. This is really what you call survival skills. I don't think this guy would have any problem surviving in the wilderness after an apocalypse.

12. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Couldn't agree more!
    The only worry is stability, surely over time a mud shelter would degrade so you'd have to make another before yours completely falls down...Or maybe that's my ignorance showing!?

I'd love to learn to build a shelter, I'm just not so sure of the concept of a mud hut...

13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no the idea is that the mud covers the sticks so they don't degrade, you might have to replace small amounts of mud from time to time, or you could build a proper roundhouse like the ancient Britons, those were supposed to last 25-30 years.

14. Zyphir

Zyphir Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I love all his videos. And he does it in such a way that is easy to understand even though he doesn't talk! Would love to get out and practice on making some of them.

15. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    His videos are just jam packed full of priceless information. For anyone that is looking into surviving off the grid I would definitely recommend watching this guy!

16. appleandcinnamon

appleandcinnamon New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Amazing. That guy literally made primitive clay by burning earth in an oven. I wonder though, why put your fire source -inside- of your hut? Pretty dangerous, don't you think?