Hоw саn I аvоid gеtting аttасkеd by а bеаr?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Goodman, Jul 7, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Goodman

Goodman New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Gоing оn а 4-dаy hikе (Fоur Pаss Lооp оutsidе оf аspеn, со) аnd wоuld prеfеr tо nоt gеt еаtеn аlivе by а bеаr.
    аlrеаdy plаnning оn bringing bеаr sprаy, but аny оthеr tips tо аvоid thаt fаtе?

Prairie Dog and Keith H. like this.
  2. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    If your moveing about makeing noise and oder most bears wil move away from you only if youget bewteen mom and cub places you in trouble clean fish and game away from camp and keep a clean camp

HappyJackSlade likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I do not live in bear country, but I would imagine that if you stored your food up in one tree, & slept in another tree, this would work well. When you are on the move, carry a gun. If you should accidently come upon bear cubs, then you are in imminent danger of being attacked by the mother bear. I have been attacked by many wild animals, always carry a gun, a big one!
    Keith.

Ricky Lach53 likes this.
  4. James98

James98 Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    make noise, cook away from where you sleep, keep food away from camp, don't wear/bring anything that is scented (soaps,deodorant,sunscreen,) and keep away from camp if you do bring them, if you see a bear on or close to the path give it space and walk a large circle around it, if caught in a stand off DO NOT RUN hold your ground make yourself big and make noise, if at camp and you see a bear bank pots togeather. bear bangers, bear spray, and firearms are a last resort and should never really need to be used. if you need to trip the guy beside you and start running (don't actually do the last one)

Zyphir and Prairie Dog like this.
  5. Mekada

Mekada Master Survivalist
      270/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't really like the idea of having to shoot a bear... I know it's either you or him but I have always thought of them as being very intelligent hopefully he would rather avoid you or you him. As Keith has said, apparently they go crazy when they are protecting cubs or in heat. Hopefully it went down without a hitch seeing that you posted in July.

6. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Here is a video & article about a Grizzly stalking (or following) some hikers (not fiction).
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/wat...a-glacier-national-park-for-30-minutes/#page1
    Keith.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  7. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Great topic for this forum!

8. Prairie Dog

Prairie Dog Expert Member
      155/173

Blog Posts:
    Most of the stuff in this thread is pretty accurate and sound advice.
    As a general rule, bears do avoid people. There are many types of bears tho. For black bears the advise here is good, for grizlies and polar bears, not so much. Both are apex preditors with no rival in their domain. Except humans, of course. Don't forget the order tho, they are the apex, we are the rivals. Polar bears have been proved to track humans as a food source. In the arctic a food source is a food source. No criticizing their logic, you could be a meal if you don't know their habits, routines and proper precautions to take. Grizlies can be unpredictable and very dangerous, just like any apex preditor. For the most part humans are not on the menu but storing food or eating in tents and poor camp hygeine will increase the odds of you having an encounter. Store food as mentioned in a cache off the ground (up a tree is ideal) and change your clothes after cooking, especially greasy foods.
    Hope this helps.
    Prairie Dog

9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    And then there are Drop Bears! Fortunately I have never had one drop on me, but one did drop on a Japanese tourist some time back & he was never seen again. These are difficult to avoid. Best advice is keep looking up now & then & if you spot one don't walk under it.
    Keith.

Prairie Dog likes this.
  10. Thanez

Thanez Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Okay this is a survival forum. This is how you survive act like a predator. Give yourself the ability to kill. How you chose to do that is up to you. Here is the twist you are human and can choose not to kill so don't but be prepared to. Predators can sense when something has the ability to kill it. I have been face to face with bears and never killed one yet but have changed my shorts after. I was scared but committed to kill if necessary thankfully I didn't have to. The more time you spend in nature the better you will recognize a threat. Remember a animals precense doesn't mean you are his next meal. Keep a clean camp but remember you have to transport food this makes you a target if you encounter a bear drop your pack immediately and seprate from it let the bear have it. Give him a target other then you. If you must shoot do so till it drops then put one right in the head. Be sure and safe.

Prairie Dog and Keith H. like this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Sound advice Thanez.
    Keith.

12. hpro hamed

hpro hamed New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I think having a gun would be a good protection method but I think when the bear sees you it's better to stay still and probably if you be lucky and pray to the old gods and new gods you may survive out of this and also having a good pair of shoes for running would be a good advantage for you... lol