Had A Tornado..april 29th 2016

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by JimLE, Feb 19, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    i had been doing things on the internet as usual.reading this n that.then it started.i guess that was between 7:00pm and 7:15pm.then it went off and stayed of between 7:30pm and 7:45pm..and that was within 3 minutes of receiving a tornado alert phone call,(thunder call) from the local tv station..mom had received the call when i was outside.so i didn't get the needed info needed.and because of that,we failed to take the needed safety steps for our safety.other words,we didn't take cover.what gets me,is there were no strong winds,and we didn't hear any thing that could be a tornado or what ever..but yet i was already taking the needed steps for light and other things by the time we started having light issues.and had very little to do,after the lights went out,and stayed out.we finally went to bed for the night.between 10pm and midnight.and that happened on friday,april 29th

saturday april 30th
    i made the needed phone calls to the electric company and phone company,seeing how we lost both.one of my niece's came and got my mom,so she can stay with her.seeing how she has electric and ac.i stayed put(home).and did diff things around the home and yard,that don't require electric.and took my time doing things.and between the time i got up in the morning and by noon,i learned it was a tornado.so i set out to locate a generator,and found one.so i was able to save the food in the fridge n freezer..had to make a 36 mile round trip to get gas for it.then i did more stuff around the house.by this time,i had already used a car lighter to recharge every thing that needed it.cell phone,nook color(tablet)among other items.

Sunday may 1st.
    phone line finally got repaired.a tree had fallen,in which it took out one of those phone boxes thats seen on the side of the road.pluss i now have a phone jack in my bedroom now.in which i have a phone plugged into it for when the electric is off.i had to get more gas for the generator.so i got some pic's of the damage done.got back home,and did a handful of things that needed doing.then kicked back and read ,the survivors some,then i stopped reading and put it down,around 9:25pm.then at 9:30pm the electric comes back on.:D im so happy now.i went out,and unplugged the fridge from the generator n shut it down.then went back in,and plugged the fridge n freezer back into the outlet,and then walked around,and enjoyed the lights being on.called mom at 9:45 to let her know their back on.

monday may 2nd
    got up and got coffee started.
    left the house around 7am and got mom,and brought her home.now we're happy campers once again.

that not only taught me,how much im not prepared for one,half as much,as i'd like to be..but it also taught me what i need to do and buy,to prepare for one..

sunnytn and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post Jim, thank you for sharing.
    Keith.

3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I live where there are few, if any, tornadoes. However, winter storms and summer storms always drop trees that cut the power lines. No electricity is delivered underground, it's all strung on poles and towers. Thus the need here for electrical generators -- the power goes out all the dang time. Here one needs an efficient fireplace (outside air piped in) or better yet a wood-burning stove, plus kerosene lamps and candles galore.

JimLE, sunnytn and Keith H. like this.
  4. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    We are off grid with our own solar power so blackouts are not a problem for us.
    Keith.

sunnytn likes this.
  5. Whiteboylead

Whiteboylead New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Anyone know who I could sell deep cycle batteries too my grand father was all into off the grid stuff he just passed away and left me everything including 20 brand new unigy 1 batteries I can't find a reciept anywhere I do know they are over 400$ a piece that's 8,000 I've looked them up model and make they were made SEP 2016 never been used I will sell all of them right now for 3000.00 and I will drive them to you. I don't even know where to begin to find buyers this was my first guess this website thanks I'm Chris.Christopherccoulson@gmail.com

6. giselle webber

giselle webber New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Thank goodness in my part of Canada. I never experience a Tornadoes. They are very scary so many people have gotten hurt or killed. They destroy everything there way even schools which are big buildings. House are destroy its sad that there are so many of these storms happened.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    I think that with climate change we will be seeing many more of these storms Giselle.
    Keith.

8. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I live where there are few, if any, tornadoes. However, winter storms and summerstorms always drop trees that cut the power lines. No electricity is delivered underground, it's all strung on poles and towers. Thus the need here for electrical generators -- the power goes out all the dang time. Here one needs an efficient fireplace (outside air piped in) or better yet a wood-burning stove,plus kerosene lamps and candles galore.

9. Pady

Pady New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I seen some program about tornado. But I didn't really seen it. I heard about so many things such as tornado bounce the cars up to 100 ft. Does it true?

Keith H. likes this.
  10. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hi Pady. I can only answer regarding cyclones. I survived cyclone Tracey in Darwin Australia in 1974. I can't say how high it can lift cars, but yest it can certainly lift cars & trucks if the winds are strong enough. I saw cars being blown over & over down the road, the house I was in was totally destroyed except for the floor which was bolted to steel piers.
    Keith.

11. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I had a tornado at my house in early 2008. The power went out and then things began crashing all around the house. A tree fell through my roof. It looked like it had snowed in the living room as insulation was lying all over the floor. I eventually had to have my whole roof replaced, fortunately I had insurance coverage for it.

Keith H. likes this.
  12. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Luckily we don't have tornados here, but we have huge storms. One is coming right now. I still remember last year, when we didn't get a warning, so we didn't unplugged anything. We just went to sleep. Then around 2am I heard an extremely loud noise and realised that something just got struck by lightning and in that moment our power was gone. We had to replace a TV, a router and a fridge. So since then, we always unplug everything in the house. I know, this is not that serious like a tornado, but here that it is a big thing.

Keith H. likes this.
  13. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Yes, it is frightening that one large lighning strike could take out everything electrical in the house. A surge protector for the whole house might protect all your electical appliances in the advent of a large storm or lightning strike but they are not inexpensive. I do have alot of my appliances plugged into surge protector strips though.

14. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I live in Ohio and usually we don't get tornadoes but they do happen they happen big and deadly.

The tornado that struck the city of Xenia, Ohio stands as the deadliest individual tornado of the 1974 Super Outbreak, killing 32 people and destroying a significant portion of the town

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974_Super_Outbreak#Xenia.2C_Ohio

It almost destroyed the town and it was speculated that it would be abandoned.
    The residents all pitched in to help one another and many people from all over went there
    to help.

Thirty-two people lost their lives in the twister, and about 1,150 were injured in Xenia.

15. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I live in middle of Tornado Alley, you don't ever take it for granted you will not get hit. But you learn not to over react at every storm but most people have a plan. Until you have visited an area hit it is hard to comprehend the strength they possess. It is just something that we live with.

16. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    A mini cyclone landed on the coast at Bognor Regis West Sussex in England some years ago & tore a path of destruction through the residential area near Aldwick road.
    Keith.

17. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    hey white I think this is irrelevant boy, did you care reading the tittle? or you just want to do marketting? lol we should charge you if you got the buyer good lucks anyway and sorry for your loss.

18. Nia

Nia New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    This is crazy, JimLE. The weather is so unpredictable and you can find yourself in a lot of circumstances you didn't expect to happen. At least you got to get some coffee at the end of it all. Coffee makes everything better.