HAKUNA MATATA! Would You Eat Bugs??

Discussion in 'Hunting / Fishing / Trapping' started by Coputere, Jun 15, 2016.

HAKUNA MATATA! Would You Eat Bugs?? 5 5 1votes
5/5, 1 vote

1. Coputere

Coputere New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    For some of us the idea of seeing some of our backyard creepy crawlies as good eating is synonymous with a death wish.

In contrast numerous individuals will be stunned to find out that a really huge assortment of bugs might end up on the menu because frankly they are edible. A great lot are risky however the Goliath Bird Eating Spider of Venezuela, which is a tarantula the extent of a supper plate. Bugs like these must be gotten and took care of precisely.

Shouldn't something be said about America? Imagine a scenario where you eventually wound up in survivalist circumstances. What if you essentially wouldn’t have any meal at all had it not been for that human head sized Goliath Bird Eating Spider?

As challenging as bugs are to keep down, who can deny their position in our fervor in our plight to survive. What bugs would you sauté dip in teriyaki sauce and tear up if the occasion presented itself?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I've eaten insects before. They cooked and seasoned first. I could eat them raw if in a survival situation but it taste better when cooked, believe me. One thing I can't eat is roaches. The smell of a infestation is unbearable, and then to think that smell is going to be translated into a hearty meal? I'll pass on the roach. More for everyone else.

3. Endure

Endure Expert Member
      130/140

Blog Posts:
    I've tried Mealworms, these critters are edible for humans. Baked or fried mealworms are marketed as a healthy snack food. They may be easily reared on fresh oats, wheat bran or grain, with sliced potato, carrots, or apple as a moisture source. Although Mealworms are typically used as a pet food for reptiles, birds and fish. They are also provided to wild birds in bird feeders, particularly during the nesting season. Mealworms are useful for their high protein content. And are
    also good fish baits.

4. RichE8475

RichE8475 New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    There is an article in the Field and Stream Magazine, Online, by Keith McCafferty, that I read entitled Eating Insects for Survival. Within that article he talks about what types of insects would be safe for us to digest, and why they would be important survival foods. One if the things I remember him stating was, lift up a rock. Insects such as crickets, grasshoppers, moths, and even cicadas; we would be in abundance with those if we had to be in survival mode now. I know that I would definitely not have any issue with eating some bugs in order to stay alive. In the event I am lost in wilderness, or needed to survive for some odd reason, and there was no other source of protein; Look under a Rock!

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I do not think that eating insects & grubs is a matter of opportunity, for me it would have to be a need. I see no point in eating termites or witchetty grubs when I can be eating snake & lizard, & this is assuming that I am not able to eat the larger game that abounds in the wild.
    Keith.

This [​IMG] or this [​IMG]
    No contest :)

6. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Nah, don't think so. I would rather just focus on having as much stashed dried fruit as possible and live off that rather than have to worry about bugs, but hey, can't always live the dream now can we :(

I would definitely eat bugs if need be but like, plzno :( :( :(

7. thePENofGODx0x0xz7

thePENofGODx0x0xz7 New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I once saw a huge tarantula being prepared by indigenous people.
    They roasted it on a spit and ate its eggs steamed inside of a palm leaf.
    It was considered a delicacy and almost looked appetizing.
    Seeing this I realize after some time, your taste buds will adjust.
    This is key to survival after all of the luxuries are gone.

schiavonecalvin likes this.
  8. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I do not think that eating bugs would be necessary as long as you gain enough knowledge on how to hunt and salvage food. Before I eat insects what I would do is exhaust all of my other resources first. It is definitely a last resort.

9. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure all of you have heard of insect farming. It's something more people should get into post-event. Insects reproduce real fast and you won't probably need too much food for them. As some insects grow to their full size in just a few days think of how much food you'd have once you start rearing insects for food.

That said, there are insects I would eat and others which I wouldn't.

10. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    If I was in a starvation situation, I would eat bugs to stay alive. However, since I am not scrounging for food at the moment, I will stay with my meat and vegetables.

11. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I have eaten insects before. Specifically, the Mexican dish Chapulines (seasoned grasshoppers). I wouldn't say it is great, but not bad either.

To the point, yes, I would if I had to. However, where I am in the world we have great hunting opportunities with deer (good amount), black bear (some), turkey (tons!), grouse, rabbit, etc. I've seen those critters on my own acreage and there are plenty more elsewhere too. I have the arms and the skills to bag and dress most of them.

12. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    why would you need to? I have prepared so I don't have to resort to such methods.

schiavonecalvin likes this.
  13. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, I can't imagine myself eating bugs even during a survival situation. As I had posted before, I know that certain insects are edible and can be eaten with no harm. In fact, we were in Bangkok last March and my nephew and nieces had sampled the cooked insects being sold by the street vendor. Maybe if there is no other choice in the menu but the bugs, I would just practice water therapy so that I would lose weight in the natural way - no food intake. That is possible to happen if the situation is in an urban area. But if I am in the wilderness, I'm sure there will be alternative edibles particularly the wild berries and fruits... but no mushrooms for me, please.

14. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    We ought to consider eating bugs as a component of our eating routine in light of the fact that not only do they require less to raise them, additionally they are more efficient in protein and vitamin B-12 than a cheeseburger or ground meat.

15. schiavonecalvin

schiavonecalvin New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    To be honest, I am thinking not from the point of view of a prepper as well, but rather one who is adjusting to post apocalyptic conditions. The mentality that I suggest is one that is prepared for anything, even not preparing if that makes sense. I personally do not think that everyone will have a food storage that will out last the whole duration of the event. Because of this I think that we should anticipate having to survive on many different things.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  16. explorerx7

explorerx7 Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    In the event of a crisis situation, I would end up with no choice than eating bugs to survive. However, one insect I would definitely not be eating is the cockroach. I detest that creature and I am certain that I would not be able to ingest it without serious digestion problems.

17. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have eaten insects several times in my life, particularly crickets and grasshoppers and they taste pretty earthy when roasted over an open fire. Just be certain that you remove the hind legs before consuming them. Worms and ants are also edible and, if prepared well, don't taste too badly at all.

18. Jea

Jea New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Growing up my mom told me that lobsters were in some related related to roaches. And steamed lobster is damn good! So, if there was a time in my life that I needed to desperately eat a roach to survive, then so be it.

I'd sauté that sucker with onions and sprinkle some garlic pepper. Vioala!

19. AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    If I had to really solely on eating bugs to live, I'd starve to death. I just wouldn't be able to do it. Grass, leaves, tree bark, birds, turtles, snakes, bring it on. Bugs? I'd rather shoot myself. I'm too prissy maybe.

20. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    As hard as it could be for me because I'm one of those people who's so afraid of insects, if there's really no other means and eating bugs is my only option to stay alive, then I would. I can still remember how I would react every time I watch fear factor before. Seeing the contestants chew on living bugs, insects and the like made me want to vomit. I guess it would really take a lot of guts and will to survive for one to chew on insects in order to live.

Keith H. likes this.
  21. SurvivingPrepper

SurvivingPrepper New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I had grasshoppers on one of my National Guard summer week. They were surprisingly good. We had rattle snake too. Better than MREs.