Hardest Animal To Raise

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by Xilkozuf, Jul 11, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Someone recently asked which is the easiest animal to raise. However, when a question like this pops up everybody (or most of us) immediately think of the opposite answer.
    Just in case, it's always better to know what awaits us if we decide to raise a particular animal, if this particular animals requires a lot of care and attention to be raised properly. So, this is it: what is, in your opinion, the hardest animal to properly raise - and why?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    If you mean by animal is the domestic kind then I would say horses. I grew up in the horse racing industry. My father was a horse trainer. I used to go to the stable when I was in grade school and also in the ranch. Unlike other animals that feeding is the only major activity, the horse requires bathing everyday aside from the training. Even if the horse is not a runner, it needs the practice otherwise its legs may atrophy. And if you think that's all, the horseshoe needs changing once in a while. Too much work in raising horses.

3. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I've never had any luck breeding unicorns., can't think why.....

4. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Currently I am not into animal husbandry but I can place my bet on broiler chicken as the hardest to raise. They need light, at night, precise feeding, are voracious feeders and are prone to infections. Added to these headaches is the market requirements to be delivered at a certain age.

5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I find chickens extremely easy to raise because I don't confine them. I rear Cornish whites for meat and since they free range they suffer from less disease, are less fatty and have better muscle tone. I also keep about a dozen mixed breed birds for eggs. My birds are antibiotic free and have the highest welfare standards for a minimal initial investment. They grow a little slower then factory farmed birds but who cares...they're happy hens.

Sonofliberty likes this.