Hardest Country To Survive In?

Discussion in 'Newbie Corner' started by Koala, May 14, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys,

I've been wondering what would be the hardest country or better put, place, to survive in without anything? Simply based on the geographical information and factors, such as the location, climate and so on.

I'd imagine Grise Fiord would be pretty high up there?

Let's discuss.

The Innkeeper and Keith H. like this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Really difficult to say which would be the hardest country to survive in. I really don't know enough to be able to answer this. The same goes for the best country to survive in. I live in Australia, & I think I would prefer to be here if anything goes down rather than being in England, the USA or Europe.
    Keith.

The Innkeeper and Koala like this.
  3. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    Yep. It's important to exploit whatever knowledge you have in those situations. In the case of which country to pick, you go with the one you're most familliar with, culturally, geologically, nature-wise, etc.

No matter what you hear about other countries, running away to "utopia-land" could cost you your life, both during the trip as well as when you try to settle in. You wouldn't know if it's true or a lie that in "x" country "it's all better", unless you get there, and when you get there you might be sorely disappointed. There's many people who would actively try to exploit your hopes to "lead" you or smuggle you to a country, while feeding you lies the entire time to feed that hope, in order to pocket whatever reward you're offering.

Plus, if dissaster is local, and you run away, the receiving country might not let you in at all...as you would be one of the myriads of immigrants, not unlike any other war afflicted person out there running away. Canada or Whateverland would only take so many.

If you feel that you'd have to move, you'll need to go somewhere not too far away, e.g. planning to go to Alaska might be out of your means at that stage...

It's important to be familiar on how that local land is farmed, or any alternative way of gathering/hunting. This is where preparation comes in.

(edited for typo)

Last edited: May 16, 2017
    The Innkeeper, Keith H. and Koala like this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good post Correy.
    Keith.

The Innkeeper likes this.
  5. EarlAlexander

EarlAlexander New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    There is no country that is easy to live in, no matter the condition of a country they will always find people who may either live in peace or may feel it is hard. But at times civil unrest can make a country unlivable or hard for it citizens,some other factors are geographical, economical, social, cultural and political situation. The situation of a country can be economically buoyant but few citizens will always find it very hard to fit in, making it a hard country to them. So it varies due to the people in question or the citizens in particular.

6. mkir1981

mkir1981 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    I've been in Afghanistan for 5 months for a military mission. I observed that conditions in that country is extremely deplorable, not because of geographic and resouce related challenges but for humanitarian situation relted to extreme ignorance and religious fanaticism.

7. mkir1981

mkir1981 New Member
      1/25

Blog Posts:
    Another country difficult to survive is Mongolia. In that country winters are bitterly cold and weather is moderate only during three summer months. There is almost no economic activity other than livestocks and mining. It is a landlocked country and closest economic centers of its two neigbors (Russia and China) are thousands of kilometers away. For these conditions, ecenomic situation in the country is very unfavorable.

8. working3

working3 New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    A middle eastern country would be hard to survive in because of the climate.. If there was a apocolypse I would rather be anywhere else. The heat alone. NO.

9. ToTang45

ToTang45 Expert Member
      133/173

Blog Posts:
    Somalia is on the up and up though and will be improving should it get the chance over the next 10-15 years. I see real progress there.

Source: I have family there.

10. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    Well, Antarctica is uninhabited except for a few research teams here and there. And there's a reason for it. Extreme cold conditions as well as nothing to eat for hundreds of miles, you would be dead if you do not have any sort of training or conditioning to cold weather. There's high winds that can make any man immobile, while the wildlife are also deadly enough that you can't count on them being a part of your sustenance. Extreme conditions plus the lack of food or any vegetation for miles would be the end of anyone who finds themselves stuck in this place.

11. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    North Korea??

The Innkeeper and operator6 like this.
  12. amelia88

amelia88 Well-Known Member
      75/99

Blog Posts:
    If we're talking simply on the countries based on natural resources and climate, and not any current economic/social factors, then anywhere that is a desert or anywhere that is super cold would have to win. I'd be thinking some of those Middle Eastern countries that have stretches of days that are above 40 celsius would be tough.

Also anywhere that was just bitterly cold without the natural resources available to build a decent shelter and create warmth would be tough too.

13. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    dunno but it sounds like England is having a tough time.

14. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I know this is just an imagined scenario. For the place where survival is most difficult, it would be Saudi Arabia. Barring any human intervention like war or rioting, surviving in the desert would be hard and I would probably not survive after a week. Too much sun without water, that would kill you by dehydration. And since I don't know anything about the desert, only luck can save me. But if I could get the help of a nomad or a friendly arab then maybe I would have a chance. However, for the sake of argument, if I would have time to prepare before being located in the desert then maybe I can arm myself with enough knowledge and increase my chance of survival.

15. Anniee

Anniee New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    I think the most hardest countries to live in would be the desert prone countries where the temperature is extremely high that you can't walk outside on a hot day. I imagine how those people survive with that harsh wether condition. If you are not well off and don't have a good source of income living there would be a living hell. Imagine you can't cultivate crops, you can't live without air-condition systems in your house, which will in-turn incur high electricity charges.

16. Denis_P

Denis_P Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Going by my gut instinct and what I've heard from other survivalists, I'd have to say that the northern part of Canada would be one of the toughest places to endure. It would also depend on the season, but if we're making things hard as possible, let's aim for the Winter. I don't know if Winter in the Canadian tundra is survivable for a long period of time. Sure you'd have plenty of snow to melt for water, but food is almost impossible to find, and given the conditions you're going to be burning an insane amount of calories to get anything done. Not to mention good luck finding a way to create fire in a land without trees.

Just sounds like a bad time to me, man.

17. Robin Roberts Jungle

Robin Roberts Jungle Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I want to say North Korea as well. When the Koreas split, South Korea was in the better position because they had more fertile land and fewer mountains. It was more suited for human civilization. North Korea, on the other hand, is full of mountainous terrain and has frequent floods and inclement weather. At least a quarter of North Koreans are malnourished, and the fact that they live in a modern day dictatorship doesn't help because there is a severe gap between the poor and rich. Money is being wasted on the capital city as the leaders try to engage in war with foreign countries every day. There are strict guidelines to follow, and anyone that does not follow them is subject to harsh penalties beyond the imagination.

18. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I would say war conflicted areas like the Middle East, South Sudan etc. I mean on a normal day, from what you see on news coverage, it seems like hell to survive there amidst such violence. Now how do you survive a place like that in a natural disaster like earthquakes, hurricane and storm?

19. Maxthewriter

Maxthewriter New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Each time I watch CNN, I thank my stars I wasn't born in Syria. Damn! The people there go to sleep at night not sure if they're ever going to see the light again. Each day and every breath is considered a huge success.

This war-inflicted country is, in my own opinion, the hardest country to survive. Op mentioned physical factors, but I tell you, those can still be greatly mitigated. That's why we have people still breeding in these places. But, In a country like syria, most of them consider it their home and therefore can't leave

20. Maxthewriter

Maxthewriter New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I don't think south Sudan experiences natural disasters. The terrorism in the area alone accounts for the dangers of living there.

Ironically, countries which experience these natural disasters are relatively peaceful.

21. giovanniiiii

giovanniiiii New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I never knew how cold would a snowy winter would feel like and how hot it would be to spend at least a day in the desert. I live in the Philippines and because of that I haven't experienced any of the two but I'd say that I wouldn't want to experience parts of the world that have to endure subzero temperatures. Without proper clothing, shelter, and means of producing heat, I wouldn't last long for a day. Enduring heat is much more preferable anytime than enduring cold. I'd say it's pretty much dead end if I wake up in Antarctica, somehow.

22. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    If you take out the politics and upheavals and talk just straight environment...desert, jungle, arctic/subarctic would the hardest places to survive. Desert has limited water of course and animals that will kill you. Jungle has water, but is a pain to start fire unless you're godly at it. Plus things wanna kill you too with poisonous plants to boot. Arctic/subarctic- freezing temps and hard time gathering. Gotta mostly rely on hunting to survive.

23. Zeyad

Zeyad New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    For me personally I feel like it would be really difficult for me to survive in would be a dessert place such as the Sahara desert since you will need a lot of more skills to be able to find food and water in the ruthlessly hot and dry climate

24. Westbay

Westbay Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    The hardest country to survive in has to be Nigeria, this might be awkward but this is just a straight fact there are so many talented and skilled persons in that country but a large number of these persons live below a dollar daily have I told you how blessed Nigeria is in terms of mineral resources? Nigeria has crude oil, bitumen, limestone, coal, iron ore, agricultural produce, fertile land just to mention a few but one way or the other these resources are more of a curse than a blessing it's totally saddening.
    As a graduate I mean a bachelors degree holder you end up being a bus conductor or result to armed robbery there are numerous PhD holders doing petty jobs for a living meanwhile the leaders at the elms of affairs sit down loot money and fund their expensive lifestyle.
    Setting up a business is another difficult task government bureaucracy is enough to kill your dreams, you can't get a business name registered in a month it takes month of persistence just to get business name registered when you eventually do that you would have ended up spending a chunk of your startup capital the government rarely funds start-ups the so called banks would rather give loans to politicans who wouldn't pay back rather than giving it with someone who's got a business idea which will create employment and further strengthen the economy. I say it's the hardest country to survive in because it has everything to be great but just because of greed,tribalism,nepotism and self centeredness these resources aren't cirtulated.

25. overcast

overcast Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I think any country with lack of water and any country too much water would be harder to live in. For example countries that suffer from the tsunami and drought. And then there are some countries which suffer from lack of rain. Both are harder to survive. Jungle can be relatively manageable as it depends on our action. But the water is harder to deal with.

26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if I didn't live in south west England I might say Canada would be my choice, not too many big cities and plenty of wild areas to hide out in, there's the Arboreal Forest to begin with.

27. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    for me it as got to be the high canadian arctic . some place like Ellesmere Island. even the inuit do not like it some do live in
    Grise Fiord, 129 persons. the canadian government actually forced people to live there so that they could claim the island as canadian . there is game caribou and musk ox and arctic hare . read more
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grise_Fiord

28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    too cold for me.

29. The Innkeeper

The Innkeeper Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    I’m the opposite. I will take cold Very heat any day , but that’s likely more a case of famiarization. I can add layers for cold, can only take so much off in the heat.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I can sit in the shade and stay cool. I can't sit in the snow and stay warm. :D

31. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Mankind has survived on every nook and cranny of this planet with the exception of the poles, and even the Eskimos were pretty close to the North Pole.

JMHO but I think it would be more difficult to survive in a cold climate than a warm or more temperate one. Fighting the rigors of the weather and the environment make the situation harder. Some countries, especially the ones with no natural resources, will cease to exist. They will be absorbed into the geography of a larger country, or the country where they reside. Vatican City, Singapore, Gibraltar, Haiti, may be examples. With no natural resources you would be hard pressed to support a civilization.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Morgan 101,

Real good post; real interesting post !

I, too, believe the small countries (in area and/or population) will fade away.

There used to be 8 "States of the Church" or "Papal States". Now, only 1: Vatican City. Singapore leaves us soon. Any time now, China will initiate with Thailand a canal through Thailand's Kra Peninsula and presto the voyage length and costs Middle East - China are reduced. Gibraltar already, de facto, moved - to Cadez, the large USN....er...NATO naval base on the Spanish Atlantic. Spain is quiet about Gibraltar - believe no longer a BCC but rather an overseas something - because Spain's 2 enclaves on Morocco territory are larger than Gibraltar ! Haiti: won't comment on the web.

I'll go further. Continental Southeast Asia nations like Vietnam vacating the area. Soon enough, when the Mekong is fulled dammed, China steps in.

Just too sensitive to mention some Middle East tribes with flags for now but the list will involve 'em.

We see this smallness leaving the scene all over the globe.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  33. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Depending on the severity of the situation Colonialism would rear its ugly head. China would take over Southeast Asia. Russia may very well try to expand into Western Europe. Switzerland, which has always been neutral, has virtually no natural resources. In a world WROL I don't see a big demand for banking. Their only saving grace may be they are to difficult to invade. Belgium is in much the same boat. They would be prime for the picking. No natural resources, and no defensible borders.

I would hate to even think about the middle East. That will be a powder keg, and India and Pakistan will almost certainly lay waste to each other.

We should buy stock in Rand-McNally. The world will be a very different place.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    ROFL

Rand-McNalley !

I am the idiot map nut that buys pulp maps.

Even have the new 10 dash China map.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  35. SparkyRed

SparkyRed New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Off hand I would say South Africa or Kuwait

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Sparky,

My late welcome to the forum.

What is the criteria you use to list both R.S. Africa and Kuwait ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    Actually you can. A properly built snowshelter will stay above freezing, surprisingly comfortable

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    @The Innkeeper

My definition of comfortable start at 80F and goes up from there. I don't see any snow shelters operation along those lines.

Morgan101 and Sonofliberty like this.
  39. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    hardest place to survive in is the most populated area of any western country, that's because its populated by sheeple who wont get off their backsides to provide for their own families survival but expect it all to be done for them, when SHTF they will be dropping like flies and that is the place or places we don't want to be when that happens.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    Anything about 80 is too hot for humans ... only fit for reptiles .. just saying

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    No reptile here, but my preferred temperature range is from 70ish to 85ish depending on humidity.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  42. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    I look at temperatures in the 80s or above much like a southerner might look at -40 or colder. Fortunately the good Lord wires us all a little differently. He does love diversity. I can do hot weather if I must but avoid it where I can. 70 is okay.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  43. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    I am the same way with extreme cold. I mean when it hits 40ish I have to put on long pants................ewww!

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  44. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    That’s how I feel about short pants.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  45. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Fair enough.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  46. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    You just remember, us Reptiles be good people.

Morgan101 and Sonofliberty like this.
  47. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I'd say it's one that is most opposite or foreign to what a person knows. Like I grew up in Northern US and lived in the southeastern US. those are somewhat familiar to me and having had experiences there would be more comfortable trying to survive in a similar type condition. Now toss me somewhere totally foreign like the southwestern US, Keith's Australia or somewhere in the desert and for me those might be the hardest places to survive. Conversly take someone from the desert and toss them into subzero temps in the middle of a blizzard and that might be the worst place they could imagine since it is totally foreign to everything they know.

48. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    During and after a nuclear war, the "developed" nations of the world will be in deep sh##.

Many "safe" / "nice" places on Earth will be the intended destination for hordes of war survivors. That's gonna be a horror.

So long as the pretense of civilization holds, there will be many nasty disputes. The inevitable hitting of the fan events will rip this charade to pieces. Hell will follow.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  49. The Innkeeper

250/345

Blog Posts:
    Wasn’t suggesting otherwise, just saying hot weather i# better suited for them

TMT Tactical likes this.
  50. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, we kinda like you abominable snowmen too.