Has anyone here ever slept in a cave?

Discussion in 'Wilderness' started by Jeffrey Lazario, Jan 19, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Jeffrey Lazario

Jeffrey Lazario Active Member
      31/47

Blog Posts:
    Just wanted someone to share with me experiences about sleeping in a cave.

2. Hope

Hope New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    You'll be hard-pressed to find someone who has I would say. Generally if you are in the wild and there is a cave, that cave is going to already be inhabited by big toothed or clawed baddies of the wild. Not only that but caves are a death trap. If you find an empty cave you have no clue if it is lived in or not, and when that critter comes home there's only one exit... and more than likely they're going to be blocking it.

I have a cave on my property here, and I have yet to go explore it due to the fact that it smells like the coyotes I hear sometimes running around may use that as a vacation home, or a the bobcat people claim they see running around my mountain.

3. John Snort

John Snort Well-Known Member
      92/93

Blog Posts:
    First thing is finding a cave isn't easy. And when you do find a cave odds are even if there are no animals living in that cave there has to be a reason it's inhabitable which means a human wouldn't sleep in that cave either. That said I only know one person who tried to "explore" a cave and was stung by bees.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    no caves around here, but I've slept in some strange places in my time!:D

5. Lisa Davis

Lisa Davis Active Member
      36/47

Blog Posts:
    There are caves here in Ohio, but I have never slept in one. I have visited some caves--huge ones-- in PA, KY, TN, and IL. I find caves--even empty, clean, tourist ones-- pretty creepy. It would make a great shelter, sure, but I can't reasonably believe that I would be the first human or animal to think the same thing during the time of a disaster, so I would probably pass it up.

6. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    I actually went camping with my brother a long time ago. There was a small cave big enough for the two of us, but I wasn't getting that close to him. So I decided to sleep on the rocks outside. By far the worse nights sleep I ever had. I do not recommend it by any means. I woke up the next morning with a bloody nose. I think I rolled over and hit my face against the ground. True story, and my brother actually got bit by a centipede in the cave. I think I got a better deal.

UJHEoaMCZyJ4Y4atJTmPSnJTtQSFHF70.jpeg

7. OfTheEarth

OfTheEarth Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Well, I slept in my friends room, which may as well have been a cave. Seriously though, there is a huge cave in the Cedar Creek camp site in California (there's 2 I believe), and we decided to just camp out there for fun instead of at the common spot on the grounds. It was awesome, so much warmer with the fire in the back than having it exposed out. We went in January, so it was pretty cold out (snow cold overnight, maybe 20 F), dry though fortunately.

8. Toast

Toast New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I haven't yet, but it's something I feel like I might like to experience. I've always liked enclosed, or tight spaces. It's just sort of something I'm a fan of. So, sleeping in a cave would be a pretty neat experience for me, as long as it wasn't infested with bugs or bats. I think if I could find a neat and clean looking cave while out on a trip, I'd love to sleep in it. And if you're trying to survive in the wild, I think it's hard to imagine a better place to try and sleep.

9. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I have slept in a snow caves for 30 days it was not bad after I learned to make it smaller so my candle would keep me warm I made it to big when I first started out.

10. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Yes, many years ago. I already had to sleep inside a cave after an ill-timed climb that forced me to spend more time than planned. Without having enough time to get back safely, I found it best to sleep inside the cave.

Although at the beginning it was a bit scary... It wasn't as scary a experience as I thought it would be. On the contrary, it was very quiet. I think I'd repeat the idea someday. :)

11. Nela Civobeg

Nela Civobeg Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    Not necessarily. Depending on the location your live in and how many predators there might be, caves might be a really good choice to avoid danger. Although, you do have to be careful around caves as well. Caves can hold quite some surprises as well. You could end up falling in a big pit, a hole that water might have made through the years, or even run among some dangerous fumes.

I remember when I was back in middle school that we had a trip to one really big cave, can't remember the name, but it has those very issues. Holes, big ones, you had to be very careful. It stretched quite far and some areas were really, really narrow. I wouldn't suggest going to deep if you are uncertain and how no knowledge what might await you.