Hats And Hats

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by randyt, Feb 16, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    what's y'alls preferred hats.

I usually wear a ball cap type hat, usually a free one from a vendor. In the woods in the summer I have a Stetson that I wear. Cold weather a wool stocking cap and sometimes a hard hat liner. sometimes a fur ushanka.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Summer mostly no hats. Winter --- baseball cap and hoodie ---- real cold winter, then a fake fur, full head, neck and half face cover. I look like an Alaskan ninja.. LOL

Caribou, Morgan101 and randyt like this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Randy,

Various, .. as per season, situation, weather, route plans, ...

My "field" type hats, eg a boonie hat, all have whistles attached to modified draw string.

For Prepper matters; I frequently lose on this point ... have ready a hard hat with pivoting face shield. Mosquito / bee net tucked inside above helmet rigging.

A tip of the hat for bringing this subject up.

Morgan101, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Current Winter hat is a Voboom; looks like an English Country Gentlemen hat. Very comfortable, and warm enough. Summer time likely will be a baseball cap of some kind. I only have a thousand or so. For the woods I have a couple. No brand name, but I have been accused of looking like Jed Clampett. I wear that as a badge of honor. I love those hats.

Caribou, randyt and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Richard Earley

Richard Earley Well-Known Member
      97/115

Blog Posts:
    Marine Corps utility hat...I served in the Army but you have to admit the Marines utility hat looks much better than the Army hat..

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I wear all sorts of hats. When I dress up I naturally will wear my Stetson Cowboy hat. When I am just running around in the summer I wear ball caps. When I am fishing in the hottest part of the summer I have various fishing hats that offer more protection and some are like long-billed ball caps with a neck cape on the back. I also wear those little kiss-my-ass newsboy caps and various straw cowboy hats. I like hats. then when winter comes I switch to knit toboggans and Carhart billed toboggans. My recent acquisition is a Russian fur-lined hat with ear flaps and a face cover.... When you spend as much time as I do in the hot Texas sun you will wear hats or else. That Russian hat was a Christmas present from my daughters for me to wear when I am fishing in the winter. When it is 40 or below and you are running on the river in your boat the chill factor is unbelievable...I am a deecated fisherman and don't let a little chilly weather stop me.

7. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm bald. Bald men are hat connoisseurs. Quite the necessary item, hats.

Do your calculations. The bald head is almost the equivalent of having one of your buttcheeks exposed surface-area-wise.

The proverbial thin wool watch-cap is my buddy, my constant companion. My eldest son, also radically stricken with baldness, and I are also fedora men. My youngest son, also bald, huge man he is, is a scally cap man.

Make no mistake, a hat is a survival mechanism. Throughout history men have been told, "Put on your hat, man! You'll catch your death of cold!" And 'tis true! I'm not going to look it up, but your head gives off WAY too much heat in the winter and is the very target of the sun's vengeance during the summer.

I've helmets should a SHTF event occur. Flack jackets and helmets have saved so many a man's life. Goggles are also for when everything turns into projectile hell.

Cover your head, lad!

8. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Normally I don't wear a hat because most type hats leave a blind spot over your eyes . I am always observing my surroundings for any potential threat or my next meal . occasionally I will wear a gilley hat that I made that has strands of fiber hanging down to a little below my shoulders . To that I can simply stick on leaves or whatever natural material is found in my environment . The only time I wear the gilley hat is when I am on the hunt . In very cold weather doing choirs such as milking my milk goat I will put on a army green stretch cap for warmth . Fly fishing I will put on a flop hat with a brim all they way around it for protection from a flying misdirected fish hook .

9. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    I have at least four boonie hats of different colors. I like to wear the black one in the Winter and the snow white camouflage one in the Summer.

I also have a genuine Panama hat. These hats are becoming a rarity due to cheap Chinese knock offs. A real Panama hat is hand made and that skill is passed down. Also, a real Panama hat should be able to hold water.

10. j_coyote

j_coyote New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Depends on season, weather, situation etc, but I really like to wear my Tilley I bought for hiking (summer+early autumn). It's beige so it's really comfortable to wear on hot days. For colder weather it's bandana (won't work when it's really cold though!).

Caribou, TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  11. randyt

randyt Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    what??? no Stormy Kroner people LOL

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    A ball cap all year, most recently a MAGA hat. When it is cold I wear a beaver molakai. This is an Eskimo design fur hat with flaps that can come down around your ears.

randyt, TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  13. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Caribou, Well now I now what to call my Alaskan Ninja hat. When I put it on, the only thing left exposed is my eyes. Fake fur, so the beavers are safe from me. Of course, my cold is a lot different than your cold. My cold starts at about 50F.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    randyt and Caribou like this.
  14. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a lot of hats, different things for different reasons but at this time of year I wear a WW2 Royal Marine Commando woollen hat/scarf. It's a great close fitting wooden hat that insulates even when it's wet.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    TMT Tactical, randyt and Caribou like this.
  15. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    50? Is that above or below zero?

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  16. TMT Tactical

510/575

Blog Posts:
    That is above zero. You will never find me any where that it even gets down to zero, much less below. Too much reptile in my DNA.

Caribou likes this.