Have You Ever Been Attacked By Any Animal?

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by WildSpirit, Jul 6, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    rtyzqLu_fNDnjtL7n6w7ODDCe7PmYS7u.jpeg
    Considering the gravity of the situation, this can certainly be an extremely dramatic experience... Do you remember having been through some of them in your life?

I remember when I was a kid (I think I was about 7) I was bitten - on the knee - by a dog because I was running from him when trying to jump over a wall. When I was a teenager (this time at age 16 years old) I was attacked by a baby monkey in a nature reserve. But luckily, none of the attacks resulted in anything serious. :)

Clara1993 likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I have been attacked by: humans, feral dogs, wild boar, wild cattle, Buffalo & Kangaroo.
    Keith.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  3. Sino

Sino Member
      18/25

Blog Posts:
    I myself have never been attacked by an animal but one of my closed friends was attacked by a little fox. It was pretty scary at that moment because we had gone to these woods all of the time and never seen any wildlife so it was pretty scary to see something and then for it to attack my friend.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I have never heard of a fox attacking a human for no apparent reason. Can you tell us where this was? Which country?
    Keith.

5. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      300/345

Blog Posts:
    On two separate occasions as a child, I was climbed by a dog; two different dogs, years apart. I've probably been bitten on a bunch of occasions, however I can't remember them due to my not having gotten hurt particularly bad. I've been bitten through a finger and also through the web of my hand. Not bad stuff. I've never been mauled. When a boy, the men in my neighborhood -- to include my dad -- shot feral dogs. Any feral dog was a moving target. I've shot feral dogs and cats, but usually with an air rifle.

Wish I'd had a revolver in my pocket when walking to the mailbox one day. Feral dog stared at me / wouldn't run away. Got the mail, went in the house, came back out with a good German air rifle, and shot Mr. Doggy Attitude in the ribs. It yelped like the end of the world loud and ran away. Read in the paper that some kid got bit on the other side of town by a feral dog. That stuck in my head, 'cause I should have killed it. OK, so probably that was a different dog, still ... . Thing about it, I was living in a neighborhood at the time and I couldn't just blow the thing away. I wouldn't have cared if it was illegal, however there were safety issues -- why risk it when all I would have been doing was killing a dog. Another thing, some weak person could have called the cops. Had I been living in the county, I'd have shredded the dog with a load of buckshot.

Friend of mine had a brother-in-law with a regular job (agriculture). The guy knew everybody in the county involved in large crop production and ranching. On the side, this fellow killed dogs for them. The story of one of his dog kills stuck in my head. He shot a collie/German-Shepard (chaser of cattle) in the shoulder / top of lungs with a 30-30. It almost ripped the dog in half, he said -- even surprised him. A flat-nosed 150 gr. 30-30 causes a whole lot of hydrostatic shock. A 30-30 may not be as powerful as a .270, 7.62 NATO, or 30-06; however, it sure is NOT something to consider ineffective when the kill is at 200 yards or less.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    My first university attended housed the state's animal control lab for the region. In my first micro class we toured the lab. Antibodies to rabies were dyed so as to light-up when hit with ultraviolet. The brain tissue I got to look at lit up like a Christmas Tree. From that tour, I remember a story about a rabid fox.

There are two major categories of behavior seen in an animal dying of rabies. First, rabies can run an animal mean mad. It is dehydrated and searches for water, however when it attempts to drink the water, esophageal spasms are set off. There is nothing that matches esophageal spasms, pain-wise. Therefore the dog or fox or whatever goes insane with anger and add to that its brains are being eaten away and may be hallucinating like nobody's business. The second form of insanity seen in animals is "stupid rabies" -- self-explanatory. The wild animal goes passive. The story told by the lab worker was one in which a fox came up to a group of school children waiting on the bus. It was totally confused and the children thought it wanted to be petted. When petted it did NOT bite (biting would have been normal). When the bus came, the kids got on, but Mr. Fox was going to get on the bus as if this was his regular bus. The bus driver radioed-in and animal control came out and got the fox, which tested rabid. The kids got vaccinated.

Keith H. likes this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I had a pet wolf that tryed to be the alpa male lot of biteing and scratching on both ends I had a dog that bit through my hand while trapping hogs I had one get away from me and then come after me I called this gator to me she wanted to attack me but did not work out for her.

8. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I've been attacked by animals several times.
    Some of the injuries were severe.
    All attacks occurred in the jungle.
    Or as some would describe, "in da hood".
    The most dangerous animal walks upright.:eek:

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    a couple of dog attacks, that's it.

10. Koala

Koala Well-Known Member
      77/115

Blog Posts:
    Damn, so many of us got attacked by a dog! That's crazy :) I was bitten into my leg as a kid by a dog. I don't know who's it was but it was such a strange incident. Me and my friend were playing on a playground and as children do... we shouted and made loud noises and out of nowhere, this huge dog comes. I am not sure of its breed but it had to be a mix between something absolutely enormous... like a Mastiff. Perhaps our sounds attracted it. Since we were kids we were calling it ''doggy doggy, come here'' and inviting it even more without thinking. When it came closer, I was the first one that tried to gently pat it and it got scared and bit my leg. My friend started screaming like crazy so the dog let go of my leg and ran off. I needed a couple of stitches but that was it.

Looking back on it, it was definitely our fault for trying to touch it but when you are a kid you don't know better :(

11. Old Geezer

300/345

Blog Posts:
    Just remembered. "Attacked by a Cow!"
    Another boy and I were cutting through pasture and the far gate was up behind the farmer's barn. As we get near the barn, the cow starts for us. Now we are running and the cow's closing in; no time to jump over/through the fence, which was still barbed wire. We made it out without getting trampled. Why was Old Bessie so upset? Unbeknownst to us, her calf was on the other side of that barn. Thankfully, when that cow got to her calf, she sought no revenge on us.

I've never been boar hunting, but those who do let you know that if you are ever hunting wild boar on the Tellico Plains of Tennessee, you too are the hunted. Wild boar are smart, will circle around on you, and attack. In Europe centuries ago, mounted hunters going after boar had to wrap leather around their horses to protect their horse's belly. Wild boar will run under a horse and disembowel it with their tushes (a.k.a. tusks).

http://media-cdn.timesfreepress.com...h55bcf04b9e38eaa70ba358b43f34ac9e9f2b433a.jpg

http://tnsos.org/tsla/imagesearch/images/20147.jpg

http://tnsos.org/tsla/imagesearch/index.php?resultpage=109&find=reserves

12. Vinaya

Vinaya Expert Member
      143/173

Blog Posts:
    I have never been attacked by a wild animal, however, I have been attacked my house pet. This was when I was drunk and I grabbed my dog's ears very hard. It never occured to me that my own dog will bite me, however, the poor animal was just trying to free himself from me.
    I have traveled alone in the jungle, I have been into wilderness, however, I have never been attacked by any animals or reptiles, even though I have spotted them many times.

13. Bishop

Bishop Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Really in my case you should ask how many wild animals have been attack by me

jeager likes this.
  14. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Wow! Would it be an exaggeration to call you a warrior? :D So... Did you seriously wound yourself against any of them? I'm kinda curious to know about this (it looks very interesting and wild :)).

What an adventure! :cool:

15. zeedollar

zeedollar New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    It definitely wouldn't be a good day being attacked by a wild animal especially one that could easily over power you. As for me i got bitten by my own dog when i was just a kid, till today i haven't been able to phantom what i actually did that resulted in the attack, i actually never thought the dog could do such to me... my best friend at that time, what a sad day it was.

16. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    I was recently attacked by a fierce dog which had lay in wait for me in the morning. Through experience, I stood my ground and turned the situation around to be on the offensive. This should be the standard response when attacked by any animal you cannot run away from recommended by experts. I saw an article in the papers of someone who was attacked by a bear but escaped only by grace.

17. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:

I totally get that.:D
    Specially the ones good to eat.

18. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    It was in an urban area when I was attacked by vicious dogs. It's actually in our village, some 2 blocks away. I was walking alone when 2 dogs appeared in the direction ahead. They were barking threateningly at me. And then they moved towards me. About 5 feet away, they stopped. And why? I remember the trick against do. You have to bend your body as if you are going to pick a stone on the ground. And that's what I did that stymied the dogs. But I couldn't move forward anymore for the dogs might attack me again so I backed off to the opposite direction.

jeager likes this.
  19. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I read the best thing to do is to get on all fours and raise your behind.
    That is universal dog talk for "lets play".
    But what if the dogs didn't read the same thing I did?????

20. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I've shot at least 5 feral dogs.
    I love dogs but not those dumped by idiots that no longer want
    Fido.
    Often dogs turn feral (wild) when left to fend for themselves.
    I can't even recall how many cats I've shot.
    Cats turn feral real quick and breed more feral cats.
    They also spread diseases dangerous to humans.
    Feral cats can destroy a population of small animals like rabbits and
    squirrels.
    Keep fluffy on your sofa pampered and well feed.
    If I catch fluffy out in my place it's a target.
    I once shot a 3 legged cat.
    I went to dispose of it and found it had one leg surgically removed.
    Now who in the *ell invests that kind of money in a pet to let it roam
    outside??????????????????
    tippy, tippy, tippy, trip, BANG!
    I love cats, had many, fat, pampered, on on the sofa.
    Not outside.
    I yielded to my soft side and caught a feral cat in a live trap.
    Took it to the vet I did.
    Had to wear welding gloves to keep from getting bitten.
    (cat scratch fever ain't no joke!)
    The vet wouldn't touch the thing and said "take it home and shoot it."
    "You know better."
    I did.

21. Nia

Nia New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I have never been attacked by an animal. However, when I was younger I used to think that dogs were trying to always attack me. But then I realized they were just trying to play with me and I was being ridiculous. Bugs on the other hand, they are always trying to attack me.

22. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    My cousins and I used to go all night fishing for giant Blue catfish.
    They's get eaten alive by skeeters that didn't bother me too much.
    I'd get the odd skeeter bite but the welt would be gone in 20 minutes.
    The cousins would have welts for days.
    Different chemistry I guess.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  23. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I've been attacked by animals in da hood.
    Or did I already post that?
    Suckers tried to kill me they did.

24. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Huummm... Let me think just a little bit about this. Do you think this a great thing or not? I'm quite confused right now... :D

25. Bishop

Bishop Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    I hunt therefore I attack wild animals

jeager likes this.
  26. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Not even once but I have witnessed so many attacks on human by animals, which most of the attacks are from dog. Sometimes it is really funny the way some of them react to the attack.

27. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    My sister and I were attacked once by a dog. Our neighbors dog. It was not a pretty sight and it escalated into an ugly fight between my parents and this neighbor. He had been warned several times to either take the animals away or lock them safely in a cage. We were playing in front of his house and the dog came charging out. Chased us down the road. Fortunately, a car passing stopped to rescue us and almost ran the dog down.

28. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    If you go into the wild you must accept the risks without any regrets or hysterics. Wild animals bite, scratch, crush, butt, gore, sting, rip your head off etc. Get over it because you're in their briar patch.
    You are the most dangerous predator on the planet, act like it.

29. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    In a shtf Fido left without care will turn feral.
    Dogs are pack animals
    They will pack up and if hungry will eat
    YOU!
    I live in the country and people dump unwanted
    dogs and cats all the time.
    Shoot on site.
    They turn wild really quickly and loose any
    fear of humans.
    Do you think that is harsh?
    Too bad.
    Don't be a snowflake.
    You won't last none too long.

30. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Woah, foxes are relatively safe to be around with as long as you don't provoke them. Provoked foxes are as scared as you are and the best course of action is to slowly back away. Maybe your buddy tried to scare it?

31. operator6

operator6 New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Wild boar, dogs and bumped by a tiger shark.
    Not all at once ! Haha!

32. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Also been attacked once by a dog. It was also our neighbors dog but they agreed to pay for my shots and it all ended pretty well. The dog also had his shots beforehand so my shots were just to make sure I'll be safe.

Our neighbors were pretty friendly, so they got the issue settled easily.

33. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Hi Wild Fortunately nothing serious happened to you, I remember when I was A kid that was around 10 years old, I was attacked by A dag as well from the street, it was running towards me and Instead of standing up and wait for it I runt too, This was terrifying and it was faster than me it bitten me on my leg and it took me some time to cure that but got Rid of It Thanks to medecine :)

34. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, we are survivors! :D

What I found most interesting, is that I couldn't stay with dog trauma (which could easily have happened to me considering the age I had ;)).

35. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Hahahaha... Is that for real?! :eek: The situation seems to have been very dangerous. :D

36. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I have a soft spot for animals. I always give even stray dogs some dog biscuits if I have any on me (I feed the guard dog at my apartment building because he always seems so lonely) and when I see one on the road I always give them something. The term "don't bite the hand that feeds you" comes to play here; as long as you are kind to animals they don't bite back. It's also a good test of character when you are trying to read someone; the better they treat animals, the better I treat them.

Ystranc likes this.
  37. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Dogs, someone's pet rabbit that just went crazy out of the blue and a rabid raccoon. It's ironic really- I've had more issues with animals in urban settings than all of my time out in the wilderness. The pet rabbit was when there was show and tell back in elementary school eons ago. Someone brought it in and let it out of its cage, thing went crazy and attacked me and it near bit off a whole finger. Got a stunted finger from that experience. Dogs because people can't train their own animals or keep them properly fenced in or inside their homes. The one raccoon was killed before it could get close enough to do damage.

38. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    This is SO true! :cool: I have to admit: I do this all the time. If I see someone mistreating some animal, I already know that person it is not good one. :confused:

39. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I have never been attacked by an animal yet because when I'm about to be attacked by a dog, I slowly stop and walk away as fast as I could. I felt scared because his nose is already on my legs and ready to bite me.

40. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Luck you, haha! :) But are you afraid of dogs or do you like them? :D

41. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I am against this practice (despite respecting your right to exercise it :D) but just out of curiosity: What kind of animals do you usually hunt?

42. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I think dog attacks end up being the most common (and becoming the most popular :oops:) on the list of attacks coming from animals.

43. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Luckly I only had one dog-attack and that wasn't serious at all. I just had a little scar on my arm where he tried to bite me.
    I really consider myself lucky that I didn't really had any serious animal attacks.

44. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Hahhaha, memories.

My experience was quite scary and hilarious. I was attacked by a chicken. Hahahah.

I was in primary school then. Woke up one beautiful morning, took my bath, dressed and set out. As I reached a narrow path between a building and a garden, I saw a chicken with her chicks and passing by them, the chicken flew in full fighting mode to my face, she thought I was there for her chicks. I threw everything away, my bag, my food flask an ran for my life.

Moments later, I went back stylishly and picked my items, and so my journey continues. It wasn't funny at all.

45. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Exactly, have you been attacked by a dog before? Or you just witnessed it as I also did?. It was very terrible to even witnessed such an attack on human, not to talk of me being the victim.

46. Bishop

Bishop Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    Deer hogs turkey bobcats frogs squirrel coons coyote rabbits dove quail fish wood Chuck gator and elk

47. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Hey Wild Unfortunately for me I do till now, No matter how hard I tried to get along with dogs I see that Animal face which was eager to get on my leg :-( So I really fear Dogs till now and I prefer cats over dogs And When I see a cat I see a very innocent being however I don't run from them any more I think at least the attack served something.

48. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Only once, when I went to visit my dad. He had a neighbor that had a privacy fence around his back yard, we had to walk by it to get to my dad's house. Everybody said there was a mean dog over there, we couldn't see it, we could only hear it. There was a little hole in that fence, big enough for part of its head. I stopped by the hole one day, and was talking to it through the fence, and I said "you're not mean, are you", that dagnabbit dog took a hunk out of my foot, and it hurt like no other. Took weeks for it to heal. Stupid, on my part.

49. Inqogn1to

Inqogn1to New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    I've been attacked by a wild boar as a kid, when me and my brother where out playing in the woods. It just so happens to be that right there in the forest the rear area of a zoo was located and of course me and my brother had to exercise our curiosity and climbed right over the big fence. Lo and behold the first thing we came across where two boars engaged in adult activities. Us feeling adventurous and all started shouting at them, not knowing we had landed in a larger compound where they where fenced inside a smaller section of it, with no lock on that gate. About 5 seconds after me and my bro sat trembling up on a small cabin roof with the boor grunting and staring at us. We got out safe though and luckily we where not caught.

50. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah (I already said that in my initial post :D), but I still love dogs anyway. I'll always love them. ;)