Have You Ever Been Stranded? Come In Here!

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by Joshmoy, Jul 3, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Hello everyone! Being stranded is a state whereby an individual is stuck somewhere with little or no cash to go anywhere. Being stranded could happen as a result of forgetting one's purse or wallet at home or anywhere.

Being stranded could really be an embarrassing situation which also wastes one's time.

Have you ever been stranded? If yes, how did you survive the scenario.

2. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I went from Florida to California on 5 bucks and a 6 foot of garden hose

Joshmoy likes this.
  3. lonewolf

lonewolf Legendary Survivalist Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    no I haven't, I always made sure I took my wallet when exiting the house. really some of these threads are getting childish.

Joshmoy likes this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes I have been stranded whilst travelling round Australia. It would take too long to explain the various situations & how I survived.
    Keith.

Joshmoy likes this.
  5. Joshmoy

Joshmoy New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I have been stranded a few times which was really embarrassing, but I'd share how I survived the incident. I had once resorted to trekking home because I wasn't really far from home. I got home in 30 minutes. Anytime I get stranded far from home, I either talk to people around to help me, or hitch a ride with motorist which could be very hard to get because over here, car owners hardly give guys a lift, mostly for security reasons. They prefer helping girls.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    So now you know why I carry a GHB-a get home bag.

Joshmoy likes this.
  7. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I haven't experinced that but because of my stupidity I was forced to walk 20 km. I'm in a place where i don't know anyone. I dont have a phone because I'm jobless, i overspend my money on something. Karma...

Joshmoy likes this.
  8. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Expert Member
      153/173

Blog Posts:
    I got stranded in an area 4 hours outside my home city while I was in High School. I had very limited funds and I had to fix my computer, and I hear a shop near the next city could fix it for a low price. The fare for the bus to go there is cheap enough; so I figure why not. Long story short, I ended up with not enough money for the trip back because the computer needed fixing. I know, stupid decision, but it was a 4 hour trip and I needed the PC for school work. I talked my way into the bus and the driver was nice enough to give me a loan that I'll pay back the next day. Not very exciting, I know, but stupid decisions really would put you in deep trouble 9 out of 10 times.

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    all these examples seen to lead to one thing, check everything before you leave home and make sure you have all you need, in other words: be prepared.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  10. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I have been stranded a couple of times, but luck always seemed to smile on me and I got out quickly. One incident I clearly remembered, in college I went to a concert with a group of friends. I had to use the loo and ended up getting lost on my way back to where the guys parked. I had no phone or money with me. I was a freshman and it was my first concert. The natural thing was I burst into tears. The concert venue was quite far from my college. My friends did try to look for me but the driver had to return his dad's car before he was caught. One voluntered to stick around and look for me but it was a massive place. I was lucky I saw another group from my college and I got a ride with them.

11. Westbay

Westbay New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    I was stranded one time its the saddest I remember, I was to go to an open mic show at a club that night so I asked a friend for a favor to come pick me up because the area is mostly dense at night and its almost impossible to get a cab so he agreed to pick me up as long as I put a call through to him when am done so I left for the show. At the end I called him the phone kept ringing he never picked up it was dark and scary I already left the event waiting at the bus stop I called again I was shocked and angry at the same time he still didn't pick up so I began walking home on my way home I was stopped by a Vigilante group and they mistook me for some dude who steals from cars I had to show my IDs before they took me to their station that was where I sat till the next day. I got out and when I got back home my friend couldn't say nothing he never called back when he saw my missed call. I learnt to always make plan B

12. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    I rarely gets stranded. But a recent incident that easily comes to my mind was when I got stranded as a result of shortage of my transport money. Being out of of the reach of financial institutions even made it more embarrassing.
    I have since then learnt to plan my trips very well, aswel as put unforeseen circumstances in view

13. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I have been stranded before. It is not a memory I can easily erase. I was going to school that very day, when I arrived the city where the school was situated, I couldn't get a cab to take me to the school, and there was a heavy rainfall. I had to look for a place to hide. After the rain, I continued with my searching but luckily for me, I later got one.

14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    maybe a few people here need to take a tip from my wife, her grand daughter has just started at university, wife gave her a £20 note and told her to tuck it in the back of her purse, not in with the general spending money, and said " if you find yourself in a place you don't want to be, use this money , get a cab, and get about of there".

Keith H., Ystranc and Ripkor like this.
  15. AlexanderPain

AlexanderPain Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I ran out of gas in the middle of a river on a jetski. It was during the pre-cellphone era. The plastic paddle was useless. It was a big wide river. It was late in the day. My car was parked behind my relatives boat blocking him in. I was totally screwed. Fortunately, after about 10 minutes of flounding about, a game warden passed by, saw me, and gave me a tow back to our dock.

16. bleeding heart

bleeding heart Expert Member
      123/115

Blog Posts:
    I've been stranded a few times. Never for reasons other than my own stupidity. Possibly the worst was when I was 18 and got arrested and spent the night in jail in phoenix, az. When I got out it was 4 in the morning and I was 40 miles away from my friends house that I was staying at. This was in 1995, before cell phones. A girl , Debbie, got released at the same time as me. She said she would help me get back to my buddy's house. I walked a few miles with her so she could get us a ride even further away from my buddy, made me hide in the bushes where she went in to buy heroin, and then shot up in front of me, and then walked around for about 2 hours until she got her brother to come pick us up. (Needless to say it wasn't a very safe area for me to be walking around in. They really didn't like my kind around there.) He eventually dropped me off at my friend's house. Its hard to believe how stupid and lucky I was.

17. Ripkor

Ripkor Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    This is great advice, I keep a 20$ bill in my car for the same reason. I also keep a change of clothes and fresh socks always. I remember I got stuck in the rain once because my car broke down. My socks were soaked and I didn't have an extra pair back then... never again haha

18. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My Mama called it "mad" money and always had some cash stashed in an out of the way place in her purse. I took an old beat up mini maglite aluminum flashlight and replaced the batteries with a roll of cash and just tossed it into my glove box in my truck. I also have 50 dollars in the form of two 25 dollar rolls of dollar coins under my seat. Basically my truck is always loaded for either get home or get out of wherever. Fully armed, food, water, pack with shelter and a blanket and money.

I've been sort of stranded several times. The kind of stranded I've experienced is being WAY off the beaten path and have vehicle troubles. I walked 12 miles out of the woods one night before I got to a pay phone back before cell phones. I was once quite literally up a creek without a paddle when a friends boat stopped running. We were probably 15 miles from the nearest highway or house. I got us to shore by casting a line into a tree and pulling us slowly to shore. It was cold and if I was spending the night I was going to have a fire!!.

One year I forgot about the ending of daylight savings time and ended up deep in the swamps in the pitch dark. I normally knew what time I needed to head in to get me out before total dark. That day my head was somewhere it shouldn't have been and so I didn't start out until and hour to late.

I have a bag that I carry whether I'm out in my boat or if I'm going with someone else. It covers the basics. A tube tent, space blankets, ponchos, water filter, fire makings, a little food, a kukri or small hatchet, a knife, a handgun, ammo and a med kit. I was a boy scout and took the always be prepared thing very much to heart.

19. Begme

Begme New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    My moms car is a piece of junk. We’ve been stranded more times than I can count. One time we got stranded at a grocery store over 10 miles away and had to walk all the way home carrying the groceries.

20. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid we broke down in a little town right on the Mexican border. The only place that was open was a little gas station. The engine was blown so there was no fixing it. We spent the night there with nothing to eat or drink until I decided to pick the lock on the coke box and the peanut and candy machine. We didn't have any change and this was looooong before machines that would take cash or plastic...hell this was before plastic! I gave the guy that ran the place 15 dollars and "shared" the cokes and goodies with him. The next day we all crawled in the camper and slept while a friend with a wrecker took us home.

I wish it had been something that a water hose could have fixed Bishop. I always carry lock picks and an East Texas plastic tubular courtesy card with me when I travel just in case.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm sorry but a 30 minute walk doesn't really constitute being stranded....to me the term stranded would imply something a little more serious.
    A common thread through this is that most of us have been stranded in one way or another and have either fallen back on the charity of others or had a plan such as a little stash of cash.
    I favour good boots and appropriate clothing. I carry extra ID, cash, a folding knife, fire lighter and sawyer bottle pretty much everywhere I go. I would admit to being inconvenienced a few times but not what I would really call stranded.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  22. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the usual stranded for me is a vehicle breakdown, I always have breakdown cover so it sometimes amounted to about 4 hours, once back along before mobile phones I had to sleep in the car and wait for morning to find a phone to call the breakdown service but that's probably the longest. 30 minutes walk is less than our morning walk every day.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I used to sleep in my truck or car all the time. When it was just me I never wasted money on motels when I traveled. I remember once pulling over into a little road side park, cooking a meal, building a fire and sleeping in the car. It was actually very nice and peaceful. Some people showed up and visited for a while and they were amazed that I wasn't worried about someone messing with me. I never worried about that. A 38 in my pants and a sawed of shotgun in the truck makes me fell all warm and secure. The fact is that there really aren't that many bad people running around. It just seems that way because the media tells us about every time one does something ANYWHERE.

I've always had great luck thumbing a ride anytime that I broke down and had to hook it home. I used to pick up hitch hikers any time I was making a trip and never had one be a problem. I met a lot of nice people on the road back then. There used to be a lot of people that were just drifters. I actually remember hobos. They were good people and worked rather than begged and never stole anything. I guess now they are just called homeless. I've had a lot of homeless friends over the years. I used to do a lot of volunteer work at a Mission and was always picking one of my people up and giving them a ride. Some were a little lost and one or two were crazy as hell but nice nonetheless.

When I look back it seems that almost every time I got stranded I met someone and got helped. I sort of believe that you get back in life what you give so I stop and help people pretty often that are broke down to pay back those that have stopped to help me.

TMT Tactical and Ystranc like this.
  24. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Same here Texdanm....lockpicks and lock shims.

It is something I learned from the olde timers in this shipyard who came before me. This skill and knowledge has helped me out many times over the years.

Have my wallet set in my back pocked right now and carry it with me always.

Watcherchris
    Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    LOL, I first learned and started picking locks when I was working in a shipyard too. I learned a world of cool things there. We did gun work and all sorts of special "government" jobs. Got to meet people from all over the world and collected all sorts of things. I always kept Comic books, Playboy and Penthouse magazines in my locker for trade goods with the sailors off the ships. We built the Glomar Explorer for Howard Hughes and the CIA and rebuilt a couple off WW2 warships and a submarine for museums. I used to machine wooden berrings for the ships rear main berring. It was Lignum Vitae and came to us in drums of water. We cut ships in half and put a piece in the middle of Likes Line cargo ships for the navy's rapid deployment system.They loaded it up with artillery and tanks and in the event of the need a navy crew would take over the ship and go to the nearest port to the problem. We also built three different types of off shore drilling rigs for the Gulf of Mexico and the North Sea. I think it was the most interesting job that I ever had.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I remembered I had been stranded twice when I was in college. I lost my wallet while I was walking the street going to the bus station after going out of school. So what I did I go back to school to look if I had friends still there and borrow money for my bus fare going home. It is too embarassed but it is the only way I thought how to survive during that situation. Then I returned it the next day at school to my friend.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:

Wow Texdanm.....Wow!!

Same here...learn lots of things from the Olde Timers here at this yard...

Saw and did some "Government " jobs as well.

Wow...the Goldmar Explorer was built there where you were working???!!

Yup..I too remember when the shaft bearings were made from Lignum Vitae...some people I knew used to prefer it for home made Knife Handles.

That stuff is become very rare and expensive now..and they are switching to some kind of rubber slat material in the shaft bearings.

I remember Lykes Lines here along with other companies. Even ocean liner lines which came here to be repaired before the Thanksgiving and Christmas cruises.

I gotta tell you though Texdanm...working ocean liners annually in this manner, getting them ready for the Thanksgiving and Christmas Cruises, taught me and solidified that I never want to go out on one for any cruise.

Shorter Harbor cruises...ok..but out on the ocean blue no thanks after what I saw in the yards.

Several ships were rebuilt here too for the Navy/Military rapid deployment forces.

You can see a lot of them rotated into the lagoon at Diego Garcia.
    They are stored in certain harbors around the nation ready to go and be loaded up at a moments notice. Crews are on them to keep and maintain a maintenance schedule to run certain gear...to prevent it from getting arthritis such that they are ready to ship out on a moments notice.

They got caught short in Gulf War 1 and flew the C141 air cargo fleet to death. When they got done the scrapped all the C141 Cargo planes ..they had used up all the air frame hours on them. Cheaper to scrap them than rebuild.

They woke up and got their heads out of their behinds and realized they needed badly a dedicated ready military shipping fleet ...ready to go on short notice. Also a fleet pre positioned ...loaded up ready to go...with all the initial gear on them ...hot to go.

I am ever grateful to the olde timers who came before me who passed on certain skills, ideas, and understandings to me. When I find a youngster properly receptive and respectful...thoughtful...and mature...I pass on what the olde timers taught to me.

Thanks,
    Watcherhris

Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.