Have You Ever Tried Being A Vegetarian?

Discussion in 'General Q&A' started by WildSpirit, Jul 17, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    d468baf20c6fcbd92a804f56486d3159.jpeg
    Vegetarianism is a way of life that is becoming increasingly popular around the world and has been increasingly seen as a very efficient path. So, the culture of veganism is becoming present in various aspects of food and this obviously has pleased a lot of fans. :)

But what about you? I mean... Have you ever considered joining this way of life? Or is this something that never crossed your mind? :rolleyes:

2. joegirl

joegirl Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    No. I have never tried to be a vegetarian. I have never found any reason to be. I am perfect healthy and fine with my current choice of food and lifestyle. That's not to say veganism has no benefits. It has loads of benefits but its a matter of personal choice and it's not for everyone. I like eating red meat and lots of it :)

3. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I do that every now and then. It's like my cleansing diet. All vegetalbes and fruits for 3 days.
    To be a pure vegetarian is not going to happen to me. I love my protien so I will still eat meat.

4. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    No, nor do I have any plans to. If others derive benefits from the diet, more power to them, but some the claims are suspect. Eating lean meats is fine for omnivores like us humans.

5. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I am not a vegetarian; however, I eat a lot less meat than I used to when I was younger, and more greens and vegetables. I am not sure if you are referring to a vegetarian or a vegan, since you seem to have used both terms interchangeably in the opening post.
    There is a lot of difference between the two, however, because a vegetarian eats protein foods like milk, eggs, and cheese. An actual vegan does not eat any kind of food that comes from an animal source at all; so they have to get all of their protein requirements from legumes or greens.
    Truthfully, I have never liked the process of killing an animal to eat it, and that includes chickens and maybe even fish, although I am better with that.
    I know that most people just get their meat, dairy, and eggs at the grocery store, and many of them are not connected with being around animals raised for food at all.
    I think that when the times get hard (and I believe that we are getting closer to that time), and there is no more food in grocery stores; people will have to learn about butchering and cleaning their own meats for food unless they are going to become a vegetarian.
    I don't think that this is going to go well for someone who has no experience in doing this, and it might be a good idea for that kind of a person to start thinking about what kinds of plants can be foraged and eaten instead.

6. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, it's all about personal choices. But unfortunately, this is not how millions of people think and end up becoming alienated because of it (and this is very worrisome :oops:). So, they easily become annoying people.

7. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    But you have to recognize that your idea is a very interesting one because I you at least try to get some kind of balance on the two important sides of the scale. Clever choice! ;)

Neiltarquin likes this.
  8. airfightermax

airfightermax Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    I have never tried to become a vegan my whole life. The idea of not eating meat is simply something I can't think of!

Humans were meant to eat meat, so I don't think I'll need to change that in myself.

9. WildSpirit

WildSpirit Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    Of course humans would never imagine going without eating meat (historically speaking :D), but times change... And the priorities as well. But I also fit into the team of those who can't live without eating meat. :p

10. RosieCheeks

RosieCheeks New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    I am not a vegetarian, but I am on its way, I guess. I have managed already to exclude dairy products, meat and poultry from my diet. The only non-veg food I have is fish and seafood, which I adore. Not sure if I would be able to manage without it.

11. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Closest I got when I was much younger. I'd eat a lot of veggies and whatnot but the only meat I'd willingly eat was chicken and eggs because the smell of cooking beef was nauseating. Seafood I avoided because of horrible food poisoning as a child. There's no way I could be vegan or vegetarian but I'm not adverse to having more veggies than meat on my plate as a whole.

Btw lots of Hindu and Buddhist followers are vegetarians, so it's not much of a stretch for people to historically follow that kind of diet.

12. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    It comes to my mind, however, when I heard that we need to eat meat to help our nerves and body muscles to function well, I doubted being a vegetarian anymore. I adhere now in healthy balance diet composed of more fruits, vegetables, nuts, seafood and less lean meat. I do have a habit of just eating salads and fruits sometimes but meat is still a part of my balance diet.

13. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    no I wouldn't become a vegetarian I like meat too much, but the trick is not to solely eat meat or solely eat veg, the best diet is one that has a bit of everything, humans are omnivores, we eat many things.

14. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    actually the modern diet is rubbish compared to our ancient ancestors, our cave man forebears used to eat 2000 different foods, modern humans only eat about 200.

15. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    No, I never tried. I don't even want to. I don't think it's healthy, I need my meat at least one time a week. Sure there are probably articles about how you can maintain a healthy diet as a vegetarian but for me it's false. My friend was a vegetarian and then he starrted to eat meal again and said he feel a lot more energetic and healthy.

16. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I have been seeing this thread but I was avoiding it. And now, maybe I have to tell my story. Yeah, I have tried being vegetarian. During Holy Week (that religious observance comes in March or April), we tried to abstain from meat. That is the tradition in our Catholic religion. But in our home, we extended the abstinence to include fish. In other words, we become vegetarians for 6 days, that's Monday to Friday, and ends our abstinence on Easter Sunday. That's a big sacrifice because we are meat eaters. But in the recent decade, we stopped doing that practice. Why so? It's so difficult to abide with abstaining from delicious food particularly meat dishes.

17. Neiltarquin

Neiltarquin Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, the idea was not mine. It was my cousins idea. I just tried it and it actually good.

18. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Speaking from a Physical educator perspective avoiding meat altogether is bad for you. You need a balanced diet to be healthy and balanced means you should eat a bit of everything. Some people claim they don't eat red meat because of cholesterol and fat and that's reasonable. Now, in my opinion, there is no reason to avoid eating lean meat like chicken and fish. Meat is protein and protein means better muscle repairs when you exercise.

19. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Yes I did for a week :)
    I like meats soo much especially red meats :) I know it's not healthy but yeah I do, So Back then when I was around 18 I had an illness which required me to stop eating meats till when I get better, so my doctor gave me a diet but vuess what I was only able to follow it cor a week!! And I went back to ask him for alternatives I really can't spend more than a week without meats :) so I can't be a vegetarian. And I think They are missing the most delicious thing :)

20. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Expert Member
      158/173

Blog Posts:
    I have basically become about 90% vegetarian, and i am actually enjoying this way of eating. Since I did not do it for either religious or moral reasons, I don’t feel guilty if i do eat meat; but I have found that I do feel much better when i avoid most animal products in my diet.
    All animal foods are inflammatory, and inflammation in our body is what causes pain and sometimes swelling in our body. My arthritis is being mostly kept under control just by the change in diet and eating anti-inflammatory foods and avoiding the inflammatory ones.
    When I do use meat, it is more like just for flavoring and enhancing the meal, and not as one of the main components. I add a little bit of hamburger when I am asking a pot of chili beans, as an example. it gives the chili a better flavor, but it is not enough meat protein to set off my gout or arthritis.
    When I make a salad, I will add eggs, cheese, or a little shrimp or chicken to the salad; but the main meal is the salad vegetables.
    There are enough protein foods that I never have any problem getting as much protein as I need, and I was actually getting a lot more than necessary before when I was eating more meat, dairy and eggs.
    I make veggie burgers instead of hamburgers, and I have found that they are quite delicious ! All in all, I am finding a lot of benefits of eating this way, and so far, no downside to doing it, and I am glad that I made the change.

21. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    nope, i'm a CARNIVORE, I love eating meat!! not necessarily every day, we do eat fish and eggs as well.
    we recently got hold of some goat burgers which were very nice, we try not to buy much supermarket meat you cant be too sure how its been treated maybe just the odd chicken and bacon, most of our meat we buy from one of two local suppliers who only sell locally reared meat.

22. perkin steel

perkin steel New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    No i can't do even think about it

lonewolf likes this.
  23. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    No. I was raised on a working horse and CATTLE ranch.

I find most vegetarians and ALL vegans to be generally pretentious assholes....show me a crossfitting vegan and I will show you someone who will annoy me within a nanosecond of having met them.