Having A Company

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by Corzhens, May 17, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Not being alone is one formula for survival in a calamitous event. I cannot imagine myself being alone during an apocalypse or even a great disaster like a strong earthquake. I'm sure to lose my composure and panic is a sure thing. But if I have a companion, at least my fear will not be that overwhelming such that I would have the courage to think of what sane thing to do. And searching for a safe place is easier when there are 2 heads thinking.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My Father used to say "two sheep heads are better than one". He used to say this whenever we were working together on something. I was never sure about the use of "sheep heads" as an example, but now I am older I think I get it :)
    Keith.

3. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I do not want to survive a shtf fan alone.

I'm not afraid of being alone but having human company is preferred.
    Humans are social animals after all.
    If we weren't men would still live in caves alone beating their puds.
    Oh! Sorry of that was offensive.
    Prisoners in long term solitary confinement have gone quite mad.

4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Not all humans are social animals, myself & my wife are certainly not. We enjoy each other's company, but prefer to be on our own.
    Keith.

lonewolf likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I am definitely not a social animal, I prefer to be alone than to be with others.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Perhaps you might re-evaluate your thoughts on not being a "social animal".
    After all you are here on the internet and I suspect this isn't the only internet site you visit.
    If you and your mate prefer to be "on your own" why even marry in the first place?
    There are those that prefer to be alone however.
    In a shtf collapse being 100% alone might not be desirable.
    For various reasons.
    To each his own.
    As for me I DO live alone on my place in the woods.
    I tend NOT to socialize much because generally I don't care much for people unless they
    are of like mind.
    If I'd mention prepping like we discuss here to almost all the people I know they would think
    me quite odd, even a bit "tetched in the head".
    The few, very few, people that even know I prep or how many firearms and how much ammo I have,
    think I'm 5 fries shy of a Happy Meal.
    Part of my desire to have "things" like a nice car, guns, ammo, and other sporting goods comes from
    being a dirt poor kid with almost nothing.
    That said having "things" isn't an obsession, just nice but not a need.
    I think everyone should own at least one firearm for defense of self, family, friends.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    many people post SHTF could be left on their own, assuming that everyone alive now will be alive then is a big mistake.
    if someone cannot live a solitary life, if only for a short time until they find others, they may not be around for long.
    given that most people these days are reliant on "the system" and are not self reliant even in a small way, the agreed estimate of the survival rate will be somewhere around 5-10%, in the uk that's the population we had in the 18th century(1750).

8. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    I'm hoping that if a shtf happens a stranded 20 year old bathing beauty model will stop by
    for a snake and coffee.
    Fat chance.
    sigh..........................
    Prol'y his name will be Brucie with my luck!:confused::confused:

9. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    in a reduced population anyone stopping by would be a miracle:D

10. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Population reduction will not be even everywhere.
    In the cities maybe 99% will be dead in 12 months but in rural areas there maybe up to a 50% survival rate, some places may have little change.
    Most young people gravitate toward big population centres and most rural areas are old people towns, the best survival areas will be small towns with few old people but not many towns like that around!

A country boarding school might be the go for survival potential, youth, knowledge, control, with the right leaders a ready made survival group, or pandamonium:eek:

11. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    READ THE PREVIOUS POSTS , I AGREE, ONE REASON I MOVED TO MY SURVIVAL RETREAT PERMANETLY YEARS AGO MY KIDS FOLLOWED SUITE AND ALSO BUILT HOMES WITHIN A SHORT DISTANCE , WE,VE ALLREADY HUNKERED DOWN WITH OUR SURVIVAL GEAR , NO AIMLESSLY WANDERING AROUND FOR US . OUR GROUP IS WITHIN A EASY WALK TO ANOTHER SURVIVAL GROUP . WOULD COMPETE FOR SOME OF THE SAME WILDLIFE FOR FOOD , BUT THINK OVERALL WE WOULD BE MUTALLY BENIFICAL TO EACH OTHER .

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    most people in the UK are 4 generations removed from the land, if not more, and most have no clue where their food comes from or how it is produced, once the power goes down the survival rate will be very low wherever they happen to live.
    ignorance can kill just as easily as disease or a bullet.

13. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Now that society is collapsing and the United States has gone Communist I was wondering what the mind set of our members are now in regard to survival groups . The new communist regime seems to be declaring war on Christianity , life of the unborn , any means of self defense against the communist sanctioned mobs any self freedoms and as predicted preppers . Over the last few months I have received pitiful phone calls by those that are finding themselves inadequately prepared for the Collapse . ---- To look at the collapsing of society and the war on decency I am trying to take a realistic assessment of our survival group now all living on our mountain retreat . We now number 13 plus one in the oven . But realistically I expect with girl friends of some of our group sheltering in our sanctuary for that number to swell . People tend to gravitate toward perceived safe harbors . Is your preparations still adequate ?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    any survival group needs to be set up well in advance of any event, and I'm talking years here.
    taking in strangers to ones group post event is a recipe for disaster unless you can sleep with one eye open!!

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  15. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Same old, same old, this argument is less about survival and more about personality type.
    Going it alone or with a small family group may be the answer if you wish to hide away with your food and goods but if you wish to rebuild any kind of life where your kids (grandkids) can grow up and marry then you're going to need some sort of society.
    Can you ever know everything that you will ever need to...or would you like to be able to draw on the skills and knowledge of others when in need.

16. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    When it comes to the concept of forming a group, I am profoundly biased. I grew up in a small community. Family ties were like steel cables. My grandmother took care of I don't even know how many of her nieces and nephews. The men my father did business with were "family" -- there were rules, but they all were tight and would all come to the aid of an individual member if something went wrong that was out of the control of that individual.

"... well in advance ..." Yes, in my world, it was decades, even generations.

I got no use for strangers. I barely trust some of the people I "trust".

However, families and crews are necessary. Got no eyes in the back of my head, just sayin'.

Cities turn to rot. Anonymity = hiding behaviors = no individual responsibility = breakdown in societal fabric. A human requires a set of responsibilities to which that person is held accountable, else that human begins to become lazy, mentally unhealthy, and less human in all manner of ways. Worst case is when the anonymous become predatory against other members of the too-large grouping.

Families and crews take care of members while these folk are ill. Tribes take care of the elderly due to their stores of memories. As I've said before, I once had a great uncle tell me details about our little town's flood of 1903; he was there as a witness. Families and crews naturally "circle the wagons" when a threat approaches. People with many types of expertise add value to the group.

If the group gets too big, then those who want to depart should depart. This is a perfectly natural process, plus this is what Liberty is all about. Many adolescents strike out on their own or seek other groups -- again, perfectly natural and it adds to genetic diversity.

When the group gets too big, or when the concentration of power begins to set in, it is time for the group to split into two or more functional groups. Groups can be peaceful with each other; indeed, alliances are good things. But when a grouping of humans turns into a zoo ... gosh, we all know what begins to happen after that. Read the news.

Humans need to practice birth control, else it will be wars that thin them out.

Our planet is massively overpopulated with humans at this juncture in history. This creates EXTREME risks for the continued existence of humanity itself. Were everyone possessed of high intelligence, we could address the issues before us. Human intelligence and emotional self-control has not evolved far enough; therefore unimaginable tragedies will play-out soon, very soon.

To me, it seems that people who are called "preppers" are among those groups taking the time to think. The ostrich sticking its head in the sand may work for ostriches; however, this behavior sure does NOT work for humans.

upload_2021-1-25_14-35-57.png

Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    "Groups" in the UK will be family units and family ONLY, maybe extended family if you are lucky to have one, most non family prepping groups fall apart long before any event ever happens, for various reasons, when an event happens we will have only those people we have around us on a daily basis.
    once an event happens it will be every man, woman and child for themselves and you will start to see the baser side of human nature, only trust those people you normally have around you and any stranger should be treated with suspicion.
    I know some people want to help every waif and stray they come across but this may not be possible WTSHTF and in deed may be dangerous if not fatal in some cases.

18. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    This is going to sound mean and nasty but stray children will need to be chased off, once a real shtf event happens. 1) You have to ask yourself, how did this child survive by it's self? 2) How did it to get to your door step? 3) What can you really do to help this child, giving it food and then chase it away? Take it in to live with you? 4) Does the child have siblings and if so, where are they? 5) Are the siblings being held hostage and is the child helping others, unknown to you? 6) Is the child a willing member of some group and will it poison you or try to disable our defenses? All these questions and more have to b asked and answered before the situations arrives at your doorstep. Also these same multitude of questions would need be answered for anybody appearing at our doorstep during a serious shtf event. As Lonewolf points out, family and only family will be viable at the beginning of a shtf event. Later, maybe years or could be decades some stability may return and the rebuilding phase could begin.

lonewolf likes this.
  19. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I a way i am very lucky, I have always gone to the woods to get something that i needed. I fact i used to go an canoe trips and fishing trips and hunting trips all by myself. It was very good training . you had to be 100% there . If you ever just let your selves go an forgot which way You came in you would be f ck . I still like to go to my place up north all by myself , I gives me time to get it all right.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.