Having A Support Group For The Apocalypse

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Corzhens, Jul 18, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I know it’s a difficult task to organize a support group for the apocalypse. To be honest, we really don’t know that the future brings but it’s a good idea to be prepared. However, I fined only few people who have that mentality of preparedness since the prevailing atmosphere in most people is to mind the present only. Anyway, I sometimes imagine a scene of total destruction for a group of maybe 4 or 5 people who are well preparedd with implements and resources. For sure, it is easier for them to survive in such a situation because they are mentally prepared and have ample knowledge of the situation

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      375/460

Blog Posts:
    I recommend close family & close friends.
    Keith.

Lee CT NE likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    Any group that is actually going to survive must be head and shoulders above "support group".

I don't want to change topic, but I think along the lines of community/fire-base. Strange combo? No, not really. Think about your firebase having to exist over time -- months, maybe years. Think about your firebase being cut-off from resupply lines. Think about your firebase not taking continual or weekly fire, but having absolutely no idea of the length of the time intervals between assaults.

Me, I think about the growing season and turning all decent yards into gardens. I think about our perimeter in terms of abandoned houses militarized and becoming part of a perimeter. I think about cutting off roads so that egress and regress can be controlled. I think of workshops, turning a house into one enormous kitchen, turning one of the houses into a clinic, ... . I'm thinking of a section of a neighborhood or the better part of a neighborhood/small community -- something FAR beyond a silly "neighborhood watch" program. There would be a military-esque / us-vs-them atmosphere throughout. One big rule would be that big egos are forbidden. "We may not like each other, but here's the way things are." "Get with the program or get the hell out." There would be the understanding that the arrangement would be only until the exterior world got its #### together. The only leadership could be a council of representatives of the varied working groups, food gatherers/preparers, militia, healthcare, builders/repairers, ... . If one wasn't working/producing, then they'd better be in nursery school or royally crippled. Guard duty would rotate throughout those qualified. We'd be our own anthill ... fire ants ... beyond nasty to intruders.

And let us all remember that without a perimeter, it is over

Lee CT NE and Keith H. like this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    yes I agree, and those only, strangers=danger.

Lee CT NE and Keith H. like this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Individual strangers aren't much of a threat to a group. That is one of the advantages of having a group over being all alone. If you are alone you have too many blind sides and times when you just can't be awake and alert. I want someone there to watch my back.

6. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Master Survivalist
      297/345

Blog Posts:
    In my life, I have found "well meaning" idiots and two-faced turncoats to be the most dangerous people on Earth. "Two-faced turncoats"? OK, OK, I just should have said "politicians".

They are also the people who make my blood pressure spike.

What about overt enemies? You know them to be enemies and can act accordingly from the get-go.

7. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    there are many ways to do security, it dosen't mean they all have to be human.

8. lonewolf

410/460

Blog Posts:
    i have never subscribed to the "golden horde" theory so beloved of American fiction writers, certainly not in the UK with its lower population, the main job here will be putting food on the table, not fighting off mongol hordes, our main problem will be boredom!