Having A Support Group For The Apocalypse

Discussion in 'The Apocalypse' started by Corzhens, Jul 18, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I know it’s a difficult task to organize a support group for the apocalypse. To be honest, we really don’t know that the future brings but it’s a good idea to be prepared. However, I fined only few people who have that mentality of preparedness since the prevailing atmosphere in most people is to mind the present only. Anyway, I sometimes imagine a scene of total destruction for a group of maybe 4 or 5 people who are well preparedd with implements and resources. For sure, it is easier for them to survive in such a situation because they are mentally prepared and have ample knowledge of the situation

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I recommend close family & close friends.
    Keith.

Lee CT NE likes this.
  3. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Any group that is actually going to survive must be head and shoulders above "support group".

I don't want to change topic, but I think along the lines of community/fire-base. Strange combo? No, not really. Think about your firebase having to exist over time -- months, maybe years. Think about your firebase being cut-off from resupply lines. Think about your firebase not taking continual or weekly fire, but having absolutely no idea of the length of the time intervals between assaults.

Me, I think about the growing season and turning all decent yards into gardens. I think about our perimeter in terms of abandoned houses militarized and becoming part of a perimeter. I think about cutting off roads so that egress and regress can be controlled. I think of workshops, turning a house into one enormous kitchen, turning one of the houses into a clinic, ... . I'm thinking of a section of a neighborhood or the better part of a neighborhood/small community -- something FAR beyond a silly "neighborhood watch" program. There would be a military-esque / us-vs-them atmosphere throughout. One big rule would be that big egos are forbidden. "We may not like each other, but here's the way things are." "Get with the program or get the hell out." There would be the understanding that the arrangement would be only until the exterior world got its #### together. The only leadership could be a council of representatives of the varied working groups, food gatherers/preparers, militia, healthcare, builders/repairers, ... . If one wasn't working/producing, then they'd better be in nursery school or royally crippled. Guard duty would rotate throughout those qualified. We'd be our own anthill ... fire ants ... beyond nasty to intruders.

And let us all remember that without a perimeter, it is over

Lee CT NE and Keith H. like this.
  4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    yes I agree, and those only, strangers=danger.

Lee CT NE and Keith H. like this.
  5. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Individual strangers aren't much of a threat to a group. That is one of the advantages of having a group over being all alone. If you are alone you have too many blind sides and times when you just can't be awake and alert. I want someone there to watch my back.

6. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    In my life, I have found "well meaning" idiots and two-faced turncoats to be the most dangerous people on Earth. "Two-faced turncoats"? OK, OK, I just should have said "politicians".

They are also the people who make my blood pressure spike.

What about overt enemies? You know them to be enemies and can act accordingly from the get-go.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    there are many ways to do security, it dosen't mean they all have to be human.

8. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i have never subscribed to the "golden horde" theory so beloved of American fiction writers, certainly not in the UK with its lower population, the main job here will be putting food on the table, not fighting off mongol hordes, our main problem will be boredom!

9. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    personally I could survive easier by myself than with a group , but I would not consider this for my groups sake. my group now is eleven . A potential problem I might have is during an apocalypse is other people wanting to join .

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the problem for me has always been trust, I trust no one except immediate family and that's now, post SHTF this will go ten fold.

11. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely pointless to survive on your own, unless you're in a position to produce offspring, teach then and raise them. Fundamentally we are only here to produce the next generation...end of

12. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Survival group, best be family and friends you've known over a decade. Even then ..

lonewolf likes this.
  13. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    absolute rubbish, I intend to survive just as long as I can, I've never had kids, never wanted kids, cant stand kids.
    i'm not going to curl up and die just because I don't have kids, there is more to life, even post SHTF, than just having kids. there seems to be this attitude that one is less of a person when they don't have kids which is complete BS , of course this is spread by people who do have kids.
    I was brought up to believe that having kids was a privilege not a right.
    in any case, having kids after SHTF might not be as easy or as safe as it is now.

14. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm not saying that you should curl up and die because you don't have kids LW, only that as far as species survival goes you would be irrelevant if you neither had children or contributed to society in any way by helping others. Obviously you should try to survive and everyone is special but species survival has got to be the bigger picture.

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    probably academic anyway , if we don't get climate change down to below 1.5c above pre industrial levels, we are heading for 3C and a SHTF event of extinction levels.
    and clogging the seas with plastic dosent help either.
    as for survival of the species, some humans have always survived every collapse or we wouldn't be here now, but the population post SHTF is bound to be smaller than it was before the event and it could take many centuries to get back to the populations numbers we currently have, this may not even be possible much less desireable, a lower population would take the pressure off the environment.

Ystranc likes this.
  16. TCinNC

TCinNC Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    Couldn't help but comment on "clogging the seas with plastic", although off topic from the original post. Nevertheless, as an "evil" climate-change denier, the plastic-in-oceans issue (although absolutely real!) is a point of factual contention. The facts: Ten rivers in the world contribute 90% of all plastic pollution to the oceans. Eight are in Asia and two are in Africa. One alone, the Yangtze, accounts for 50% of all plastic pollution. The conclusion: If you can't control China and India, you won't control plastic pollution (or air pollution, or landfill hazmat waste pollution, or many other pollutions). If life on earth ends due to pollution, it's only because of two underdeveloped, overpopulated countries. And the Euro-trash pansy-ass politicians and their Paris Climate Accords are not the answer.

17. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the plastic in the oceans comes from all over the world, just because Americans detest the Chinese you cannot blame them for all the ills of the world!

Ystranc likes this.
  18. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    Yes the garbage barges heading out to sea from NY full and returning empty is a bit of a give away!

lonewolf likes this.
  19. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    lonewolf likes this.
  20. TCinNC

TCinNC Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    Which brings us to two cliches (or in survival terms, two deadly sins);
    You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own FACTS,
    and
    Ignorance is bliss

21. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    It is an acknowledged fact that annually China as a whole produces 3.5 million tons of plastic waste that subsequently pollutes the sea. This is almost half of the 8 million tons that enter our oceans each year....this is absolutely true and no one is trying to deny it, however that still leaves 4.5 million tons of plastic waste that the rest of the world needs to address. We've no reason to be complacent or deny the problem exists.

22. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    while we are on contaminating - ever wondered why there are commercials to send some country bottled water . I here it is because they have crapped in their water. I haven't went to watch them crap so I can't confirm this.

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    probably after some natural catastrophe.

24. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    We are digressing from the original thread a little. I'm sure these topics of pollution and disease are discussed elsewhere.

lonewolf likes this.
  25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    agreed, my fault, sorry.
    back to topic.

Ystranc likes this.
  26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    the problem with "support groups" unless you have a big family or know a heck of a lot of people is numbers.,
    trying to get a group going pre SHTF is fraught with all sorts of problems, principle one being looking paranoid to those who don't understand prepping, post SHTF we have to be careful of others, trust is a tenuous thing, easily given away to the wrong person, which in some circumstances could be fatal.

27. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I often make the point that the time to build trust with those that you can and find out who you should avoid trusting is now, before the shit hits the fan.
    Find out who you can trust, what are their strengths, weaknesses and show them that you can be trusted in turn. Know who you can't trust and prepare to defend yourselves and your property from them.

28. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I like people in general. I don't let most get to close to me because I'm not as trusting as I used to be. Nonetheless the human species is a social animal and anyone that has studied history will see that those that try to go it alone are eventually overcome by a larger group be it clan, tribe or nation. No one person has the talents or time to do all things all the time. Sooner or later they are going to get sick or hurt and that will be the end of them.

Without any of today's many distractions and entertainments being alone will mean being totally alone. I don't think that I would be happy sitting in a dark cabin all alone with nothing but a fire to look at. On those long cold winter nights having people to talk to and share with will make it more tolerable. I guess I'm just a pack animal by nature. I don't tend to be a herd sort but like to run with the other wolves.

29. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    sorry Tex but I am completely the opposite to your good self, I would and have been happy with myself sitting somewhere totally alone looking at the fire, I don't trust people, I've had some good friends over the years but that was more than 20 years ago when I lived in a city and they are still there and will never leave.
    from what I have seen of people over that 20 years, none of which fills me with positive feelings, its lonewolf for me, with a lower population in the UK than you have in the states i'm not expecting a huge survival rate post SHTF.
    I don't disagree that at some point there may be a clan, a tribe, or even a small village- a very small one, but that will be many years post SHTF when the dust has settled and it is safe to approach others without getting your head shot off! but that will be a long way down the road and will depend on how many survivors there are in your given location.
    one should prepare to survive alone for as long as necessary until things improve, self reliance is the only way, relying on others may not be possible nor desireable.