New Member Hello From Colorado

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by F22 Simpilot, Jul 22, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    New here and I'm a SHTF prepper type of person. I read books on things of the subject like SAS survival techniques to books on escape and invasion, etc. I recently read a book called Spy Secrets That Can Save Your Life. It's mostly about escape and evasion, etc written by a former CIA officer. After reading the book, to this day I carry a tactical pen on my person at all times.

My other interests consist of aviation. I fly in the Sim in FSX. Been around the world 4 times now. I like computers, radio communications, (I have yet to get my ham lic.) and some electronics. I can read some schematics, etc. I recently bought a crystal radio for a SHTF scenario. I have been a police scanner enthusiast for about 22 years. Although, I don't just listen to police but aviation and other things.

I have my own website and that's listed in my profile. I always wanted one and it's more or less a learning experience.

Crys B. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day Simpilot & welcome to this forum.
    Keith.

3. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:
    Welcome!

Thank you for the book recommendation!

I have a book list where I type in the names of books that I want to eventually get, and I put a line through it when I actually get the books.

It sounds like an interesting read, and I've added the book to my list.

That sounds fascinating that you can listen to aviation. Out of curiosity, I'm not really sure what a police scanner is. Is it related to Ham radio any?

4. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:

Well, it depends on what type of scanner you get. Some are more of a communications receiver. A lot of scanners can monitor aviation, race cars, railroad, etc. If it's an unencrypted two-way communication you can more than likely hear it. But then there's digital modulation and depending on it you may or may not be able to hear it.

Yes, most scanners cover the typical Ham bands except shortwave. You need a shortwave radio or a transceiver in those bands.

If you're interested in scanners and what not, check out this site: https://forums.radioreference.com/

Crys B. likes this.
  5. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome Sim, the entry level HAM licence for beginners is very simple, 26 multiple choice questions that a 12 year old can complete. If you can find a local HAM group they will usually provide mentoring and tuition pretty much for free but you'll need to pay for the exam and licence (sorry but I've no idea how much it is outside the UK)
    You can even get on air without buying the equipment as there is an online resource which puts you in direct control of a transceiver via the net.

6. Crys B.

Crys B. Active Member
      43/58

Blog Posts:

Thank you so much for the information!

7. F22 Simpilot

407/460

Blog Posts:
    You're welcome.

If you have an Android (not sure about Apple), you can listen to police scanners and other things with the Scanner Radio App.

Just go to your respective play store and search for Scanner Radio. The feeds are provided by people with their own scanner or in fact a SDR (a whole other topic) and fed to Broadcastify at Radioreference.com. In fact, the media often uses archived police audio from Broadcastify and advertises that it came from that source as per Broadcastify's rules.

I've been a member at Radioreference.com since 2003, and back then it was called Trunkedradio.net, and it astounds me at how far the site has gone. It was this one site that caused many others to fall and for the great thick book called Police Call to write their final issue. It's all due to Radioreference.com's vast database.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018