New Member Hello From Mass

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Woodsbum, Dec 10, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Woodsbum

Woodsbum Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    Not sure I'm a prepper but I am a survivor. Grew up in central FL and sw Ga.
    I'm an amateur blacksmith and bladesmith. ( Very amateur). I enjoy treasure the time I get to spend in the woods and on the water, primative camping and kayaking mostly. Black powder enthusiast, have not made powder, but have the means to. Mass kind of frowns on the practice. I cast my own ammo.
    Looking to expand my knowledge and learn more.
    Looking to move to North Carolina in the next 18 months or so to start a more self subsistent life.
    I guess in a way I'm prepping for the move.
    From what I've seen here I can accomplish this and maybe make a few friends as well.

Keith H. likes this.
  2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the forum, good to hear you are into muzzle-loading, good choice in my opinion. Me too:) Are you also into 18th century living history?
    Regards, Keith.

3. Woodsbum

Woodsbum Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    Not as much As I would like to be. I am intrigued by how they could survive and thrive on so little.
    I do like the long hunters, those folks had some stones.

Keith H. likes this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    To which region of N.Carolina will you be heading? My mom and her kin came from Western N.C. -- which is to say Southern Appalachia. N.C. is a state of at least three distinct regions, each quite different from the others. Tennessee is also three states semi-glued together ... the glue not working most of the time.

5. Woodsbum

Woodsbum Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    Still researching, ideally 10 to 20 acres abutting the wilds, neighbors not to close. Prefferably with a creek running thru it. Not looking to go totally off grid but want to cut down the foot print so to speak.

Keith H. likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Greetings and welcome. I know what you mean about not being sure if you are a prepper. I'm sort of in that same sort of mindset. I think, at least for me, the "prepper" thing is just a little soft for me. When I think of preppers I think about a woman I saw on a TV show about preppers. She lived in the suburbs of a large city and had a basement just stocked FULL of gourmet groceries and bragged that she was going the be the fattest prepper there was after TEOTWAWKI. She was "PREPPED" but probably wouldn't last a month before her neighbors got hungry and raided her silly butt.

I think you are on a better path. Surviving isn't all about how much you have stored. It is rather more about the mental preparation to make you better able to ADAPT to and deal with a changed world. You will find a lot of great information here of a wide variety of ways to go.

7. Woodsbum

Woodsbum Expert Member
      163/173

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the welcome.

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Very few "wilds" in N.Carolina to be found -- even up in the mountains. Long story, but true. Even Blowing Rock has turned ritzy ... thirty-plus years ago. I don't recognize the once small towns when driving through there.

My mom was raised in a mountain holler in NC. I used to hunt up in those mountains.

Obviously, I'm prejudiced towards the mountains. I'm out of that culture and can let my thick Southern Appalachian accent return in a millisecond. Can't grow but big gardens up in the mountains. Valley land has gone expensive. My people made it on land where the roads stopped -- high altitude & too steep a slope after that. My maternal grandfather started off as a subsistence hunter (part Cherokee; everybody had Cherokee in them; of course the Cherokee had some Ulster-Scots in them).

North Carolina government is going leftist due to all the useless people who live there now. Even Asheville N.C. is now loony-tunes leftist. If you were to ask me about small towns therein, my information is out of date. Go ahead and ask me about some places in northwest NC and I may have some ideas.

Better than a creek, you'll want some land that has water coming right out the side of a mountain. That's where my kin would build their cabins. ALL creeks have parasites, like Giardia.
    https://www.google.com/search?ei=UQ.......0...1c..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.iwOHK99ii6U

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017