Hello My Fellow Virginians!

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by NomadWill, May 8, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    (Phew that's a terrible title!)

Hey Everyone! I'm Nomad Will, i currently reside in Northern Virginia (NVA) And I was wondering how many others from Virginia use this website/forums. I guess this is some sort of unofficial roll call ^^

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. OfficerOtto

OfficerOtto Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    Central NC, not too far off. Welcome.

TMT Tactical and NomadWill like this.
  3. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    Thank you, Thank you.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Lower Eastern shore shout back

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Nomad Will, ...

Had just enrolled here. I'm somewhat south of Fredericksburg.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    So glad to finally find others in or near Virginia. I am about 30 miles south of Charlottesville, if looking at a map, north western top of Buckingham County. It would be great if we could meet together somewhere, a central location for all, to meet each other and learn new ideas, etc. Any takers on this idea???

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Coffee,

Yes, a taker on idea.

Can you collect names of those interested with their area location ? Plotting the locations can allow for selecting a convenient meeting site eg a restaurant.

I have some emergency prep pamphlets I'll bring for "hand-outs". I'll also bring some CDC 731, "shot-records" - and other medical info space in CDC 731 - for hand-outs.

Scheduling typically translates to a weekend day because of work schedule...Regardless, something can be developed.

As an aside, my biggest evacuation kit, less our 2 duffels with clothes, is a sturdy nylon bag with coffee-making apparatus; a plug-in espresso maker, a hiking stove with buchu fuel cartridges, and el coffee;Folgers, espresso and Turkish. Love the stuff !

Must get ready for heavy rain enroute soon to Middle Peninsula/Northern Neck. My place is safe but the roads flood.

Time for an espresso break..........

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. watcherchris

watcherchris Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Was just up in Tappahannock, Virginia a week ago at a place called Lowery's. Nice town ....very quiet ..the way I like it.

Too much fast lane here in the Newport News, Hampton Area to suit me now days.

My Schedule would have to be on a weekend.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    How about Saturday, May 18th, say 10:00 am - 1:00 pm. Then any who wish, can do lunch together. I will try to arrange for a separate large, private meeting room at Library, in Mechanicsville, Va. (804) 746-9615 @ 7461 Sherwood Crossing Place. Mechanicsville, Va.23111. This is off Mechanicsville Turnpike (Route 360). Turn at red light between Arby's Restaurant and Virginia Farm Bureau Ins. Co. I just checked, and it is available and if this works for you, I will reserve it. And I will let you list/post it on our group board, if you will. You can say it if both of us hosting. I am Coffee. I can and so can you and others who respond with yes to attend on site. Let me know what you think. The room has a coffee pot, microwave, and mini refrigerator. Also a white board with markers & eraser. I will bring coffee, cups, creamer, and sugar plus artificial sweeteners.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I just posted a proposed location, and date for a get together for anyone in or near Virginia who wishes to meet and share ideas, stories, etc. And if you have items to share or show and tell, bring to meeting. Let me know if this day and time work for you, and after i hear back from Pragmatist, I will reserve the conference room, okay. Coffee

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Coffee and Chris,

Saturday, 25 May is part of the long Memorial Day weekend. It might be advantageous to select a date with more lead time.

Tappahanock is nice.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Hey guys, I can get the side of the conference room with the kitchenette on Saturday May 18th at this same Library. The reason I chose this location, is one, I have used it many times before; it is still a long way from where I am now, but it is Just off 295 which is just off Interstate 95. This makes it central to Virginia and will be easier for any wanting to come from No.Va. or N.C. or wherever. It is very close to Richmond. But, this is just my idea. I am completely okay with anyone other idea, really. Let me know asap.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Tappahanock is okay to me, also. Just need one of you guys to make the meeting place arrangement and set a date. I am okay with any date you guys choose, I just think we need to do this and soon, it you know whats ahead with all this war rattling going on. Bothers me, thinking how close we are, more now than ever before, to the real SHTF.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I was not suggesting Tappahannock but only stating that I was of recent there.

I know my way pretty well around Richmond, Mechanicsville too...and the library is fine with me...and particularly since it is known to at least one of the members here.

I know how to get to the Calabash Restaurant in Mechanicsville. Not sure where that is in relation to the library.

Putting the 25th into my phone notes section and calendar.

When a decision is made ..I will need follow up instructions on where to go and how to get there.

Good grief Coffee...I just researched Google Maps and the Calabash/Club Midway Restaurant and your library are right around the corner from each other.

Thanks,
    Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  15. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Coffee,

Yes, I can make Saturday, 18 May at Library, Mechanicsburg (What time?).

Mechanicsburg location is better than Tappahanoch primarily in fairness. You're from the Hwy 29 corridor and this is better for you.

Am still learning how to navigate this site. Would like to ask Nomad Will if he is interested. He might be wandering around.

Don't worry about wars. There are more dangerous matters of concern.

16. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    18th...your talking about next weekend..

I have nothing planned right now for the 18th as well. Can keep it open too.

Agree...Mechanicsville is better for me than Tappahannock.

Watcherchris'

Not an Ishmaelite

17. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Can you navigate around site to see if Nomad Will of NoVa interested in attending ?

Coffee is lead in reserving Community Room at Mech library.

Directions to library are: I think / hope:

I-285 Richmond beltway, to:
    Route 360,
    Turn at Red Light between Arby's and Va Farm Bureau
    Library address is 7461 Sherwood Crossing Place

18. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    I missed the time to call to confirm the reservation. I will do it first thing Monday, as they are closed on Sunday. Assuming that goes okay, we are talking about a group get together at Mechanicsville Library at 7461 Sherwood Crossing Place, Mechanicsville, Va 23111 on Saturday, May 25th from 10:00 am - 1:00 pm. Anyone wishing to bring items to share, or show and tell type items are encouraged to do so. This will be an open discussion by all....the first of many, I hope. Let's get together, get to know each other better and learn from each other. Anyone interested in lunch afterwards can speak up, and share a bit longer time together there also. Further directions for Library: off 295, which is off Interstate 95 North & South. Actually located off 360 / Mechanicsville Turnpike, just off 295. At red light, see Arby's Restaurant and Virginia Farm Bureau, the Library is just behind the Arby's. Their phone # (804) 746-9615

PLEASE RSVP IF YOU CAN COME ASAP - ANYONE IN VIRGINIA IS ENCOURAGED TO COME JOIN US, OR FROM OTHER STATES IF YOU WISH.

19. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:

20. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Please come to our get together, see info. above, on May 18

21. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:

TMT Tactical likes this.
  22. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I cannot wait to meet everyone. 10 - 1 on May 18th @ Mechanicsville Library. ALL are invited. PLEASE RSVP

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Please come to our get together on Saturday, May 18th, from 10:00 am - 1:00 pm RSVP please. See below for directions or ask here if you need any help. Hope you can come.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Please come to our get together on Saturday, May 18th, from 10:00 am - 1:00 pm, at Mechanicsville Library. See directions all over this posting. I f you need help will directions, ask here. Please RSVP. Hope you can make it.

25. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:

Watcherchris Can you please head up a new post for this Virginia (and surrounding states) get together with the info, location, date, time, etc

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Watcher and Coffee,

My RSVP Yes.

Planning to be at Mechanicsville Library Saturday, 18 May, 10AM-1 PM.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  27. watcherchris

510/575

Blog Posts:
    Coffee...post and invitation made under the title..."Prepper Meeting ..in Virginia" in the "Suggestions and Requests" section.

Watcherchris.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  28. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Coffee and Watcher Chris,

Looking at calendar and Memorial Day weekend soon here.

Any feedback on Nomad Will ? Wandering around NoVa ?

We need another meeting prior to Fluvanna County tour. The main reason is to have new members for economies of scale". It's not that easy for someone working full time to drive (time and cost) to places like Troy. Plus, hurricane season is enroute and scheduling is difficult.

GS Auto Tech on lower eastern shore means ron-day-voo via Chesapeake Bay Bridge to Virginia Beach and points onward through Dehydration Chamber (Hampton Roads tunnel). We must factor his travel arrangements in to our meeting place. (I like AM Radio WTOP, just north of Virginia line in Maryland.)

Officer Otto in central N.C. ?

Augusta County ? Hopefully in full and speedy recovery.

One benefit of some affiliation with Lynchburg club is "economies of scale". We'd even get some members from 'em......without pirating them. All of those people surely do not like programs to pet the Dalmatian at the fire station before the fish fry. We will be more active sharing more pertinent material than Army first aid "Out with the good air, in with the bad air, out with the good....".

For that next meeting, we've got to design a basic letterhead stationery so I can place a meeting notice at Bass Pro Shop Hampton and Cabella's Short Pump. The Cabella's up around Nomad Will, is it west of Vint Hill Farms ? ...has a large yuppy crowd who'd affiliate with us.

We need people to car pool; to listen to my disaster planning rambling, to help fund a decal and/or patch.....needed for advertising / public relations.

Last - and maybe least - I hope this is the right place at forum for this post. The MSF.com doesn't get run by air. It takes support and maintenance. Translation: Chapters can send a few piasters to webmaster.

"What we think or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do." John Rushin

29. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Follow-ups;

Cabella's, Northern Virginia Autonomous Oblast, is in Gainesville, Prince William County, northwest of Manassas.

Ed and Kathleen Wiley lived in Powhatan County, west metro Richmond. Ed passed away at Aylett area, King and Queen County.

The famous personality from Powhatan County was John Mosby, the Confederate Army's "Grey Ghost" cavalry officer. After war he served as US Consul to Hong Kong and an attorney with Southern Pacific Railroad. He died as recently as 1916.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  30. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Coffee and Watcherchris - and other Virginians and neighbors regardless of geography,

Just received an envelope from the Virginia Dept of Agriculture and Consumer Services with info on the Spotted Lanternfly quarantine. They send me a couple of extra color copies of the bug. These I will be handing out at our next meeting.

Above relates to the Giant Hogweed matter here in Virginia. This is what I showed at Library when we met.

To partly digress - or perhaps to refocus;

I'm envisioning a org - a club, a society, any organizational name so we become both a clearing house and learning center for all this - includes field trips to that Fluvanna store /facility Coffee is working on. We need more than 3 to attend tour + purchase a few "things", products. If someone helps us learn something important, it is more than worth it - usually.

I went to Bass Pro Shops, Hampton. They don't have a bulletin board but notice can be arranged in some other manner. I believe Cabella's Short Pump and Northern Virginia Autonomous Oblast does have notice boards.

We need to contact Nomad Will of NoVa and - our member from Eastern Shore (or DELMARVA-not sure-wife is a Trooper).

We also need to arrange for some funding for our new org and also for a periodic or per meeting stipend sent to forum admin. If we appreciate this site - it's the best I've run into - ... all this takes some $$$ - not much but some beyond the cost of pigging out at Golden Coral.

There's an annual "camp expo fair" - in tents somewhere in North Carolina. These are places to meet like-minded people and to learn.

It is ridiculous that I have some glossy pamphlets here re hand pump for well houses and this was a subject here as recently as hours ago.

Ditto: There was a discussion on "best" (no such thing as "best") water filters. I once was in a club where we had a seawater reverse osmosis survival system for life rafts. RO systems are 2+ more expensive to get water than pumping from the ground - but this area has sea water aplenty. (For seawater RO, I am wrong; a Katadyn Survivor model is the best.)

If we can draft up a handout "flyer" I will distribute at the annual health fair next month at Wise County, Appalachia, Virginia. Our type of folks attend these fairs.

Much going on and time is of the essence.

TMT Tactical likes this.