New Member Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by Alaskajohn, Jan 28, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Thought I’d introduce myself! I’ve been an Alaskan for about 10 years and currently spend most of my time on an old homestead that the wife and I purchased about 4-5 years ago about 100 miles from nowhere. I’m retired army paratrooper and medic. About 2 years ago I retired from my second career to spend more time in the woods.

Originally from deep in the mountains of Appalachia with my early years growing up on our family farm. Family moved to Nebraska and I spent about 9 years on a small farm before seeing the world curtesy of the military. Most of my adult life and my first job outside of the army were in the Central America, tropical locations and the southern bayous. But the mountains have always been where my heart was, and Alaska called. The wife and I never looked back. We both love the Alaskan seasons, the isolation and the fresh air.

I look forward to reading and hopefully participating in the homesteading and wilderness sections!

2. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good introduction John, welcome to this forum.
    Keith.

Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA There are many others here that like the white fluffy stuff --- but I will pass on it. Love my summers.

Alaskajohn likes this.
  4. Alaskajohn

415/460

Blog Posts:
    I have a friend in southern Arizona (close to bullhead) and another in the highlands in the north (close to Jacob Lake). Both a little bit too dry for me, but I think I could adapt to the higher areas to the North!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    You might like the Flagstaff area. Forest and just a little bit (too much for me) of the white fluffy stuff. I love the heat and dry weather. I am just fine with 120* F. I tested positive for reptilian DNA. :D

Alaskajohn likes this.
  6. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Missouri. Good to have you with us. I'm with TMT on this one. Raised in Southern Arizona, and I still love the desert and the heat. Alaska is beautiful, no doubt, but I prefer something warmer. Much warmer. Welcome aboard.

TMT Tactical and Alaskajohn like this.
  7. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking forward to reading your posts, Alaskajohn. I see your southern bayous and raise you one fried alligator tail, a fais do-do, and a few stories.

8. Alaskajohn

415/460

Blog Posts:
    While I love gator tail, I still have a powerful hankering for crawfish!

Glad to see you made the jump!

9. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Me too, AJ, on both counts!

Pssst... it's that time of year again!

9dec2219c266e3ee75f1af15b8c75c82.jpeg via Imgflip Meme Generator

10. Alaskajohn

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Oh man, you are killing me. What I wouldn’t do for some of that and a beer!

You can get all the usual Cajun seasonings up here. I substitute crawfish and andouille sausage with Alaskan Shrimp, clams and caribou sausage. All the other ingredients are pretty easy to come by. Pretty good, but just not the same!

11. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I moved away from home to my BOL some time ago but will always make pilgrimages to the Best Coast to visit family, friends, and to stock up on foods to bring to my landlocked location.

Speaking of andouille, when I run out of the real deal, I substitute with Walmart's "Sam's Club" brand of Andouille. The flavor is outstanding, which surprised me.

(Note to our French friends: A properly made Cajun andouille sausage is not the same as French andouille, in terms of taste...and well, everything. Cajun andouille is so good that it is used to season foods to the finest order!)

There are recipes for making your own Cajun-style andouille.

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/andouille-sausage-recipe/

http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/meats/pork32.htm

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Alaskajohn and TMT Tactical like this.