Help! Carp Issues!

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by DonScott, May 23, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

Tags:
  1. DonScott

DonScott New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    I live next to a decent sized lake here in Texas. The problem with it is the smartest fish in the WORLD live in this thing! I've hooked quite a few bass but what I've had the most trouble is the carp. I've tried boileys, worms, sweet corn, bread, slack lines, tight lines, everything! I can not seem to get them to bite! The most frustrating part is I can see them in the water clearly! I can hit carp all day anywhere else but these guys are more wily than anything I've ever seen! Any suggestions?

2. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    Explosives????:eek:

When I was a kid way back before electricity, running water, and sunshine,
    we'd sit up on a high bank and shoot them with .22 rifles.
    Getting them was problematic however.
    Carp are an import from China and have ruined many waterways destroying
    habitat for better species.
    Some people actually eat the things.
    When younger I take them with archery and cut them in pieces for fertilizer
    for tomatoes.

3. DonScott

DonScott New Member
      3/25

Blog Posts:
    Hahahahahaha would not mind blowing those suckers up at all! I thought about using my bow on them but I'm not sure how well the neighborhood association would take it!

4. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Try baiting an area before you fish. I have several ways of spreading some bait over a large area to get the fish in the mood for what I'm feeding them. Look up "spod for carp" I made my own. You might try chick peas, or golden raisins or make some of my Granny's special bait. Crush bran flakes, add sugar, strawberry jello mix and then work it as you add big red to it until it is stiff and sticky. Then freeze it over night and it should be ready to go. Freezing seems to make it set up for some reason. Mold it on the hook about the size of a grape and fish it on bottom on a slack line that you watch close. I usually roll up a bunch and throw them in the area that I'm fishing.
    '

5. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    I used to make doughball for carp.
    A mix of flour, cornmeal, and anise oil.
    A ball of that on a small hook worked.
    Also garden worms or night crawlers worked well.

6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Worms and shrimp work well but attract the little perch as well. Not that perch fishing isn't fun too but when I'm carp fishing I prefer things that perch don't have as much interest in. Every time I fish fruit flavored boilies here in South East Texas the catfish eat them all up. That is very annoying when you are fishing a carp tournament. The nutty flavors seem to work as well for the carp without bringing in the catfish. *-