Herb For Rashes

Discussion in 'Herbalism - Medicinal, Practical, and other Uses' started by willywonka, Jun 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. willywonka

willywonka Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I just wanted to start up a thread about what herbs you guys use to heal rashes. So far I use tea tree oil, aloe vera gel and calandula creams to soothe my skin. Are there any other herbs that grow near you that you use to soothe the skins for cuts, scrapes and burns?

2. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Tea tree oil is amazing for rashes. I use it every day due to having psoriasis. A herb that helps stop the itching a rash might produce is basil. I have used basil to sooth my bug bites as well. Its as simple as mashing the leaves in your hand and rubbing it onto your skin. It relieves a lot of the itching and redness. Aloe Vera gel is one of my favorites for sun burns. It definitely helps cool down your skin and adds moisture.

PracticalToby likes this.
  3. Correy

Correy Expert Member
      141/149

Blog Posts:
    A remedy that we use a lot is making an oil infusion with St John's wort. It's a pretty flower that looks like this:

[​IMG]

...and it grows in many places.

Basically what you do is, you take these plants fresh (take the entire plant if you can, or as close to the root as you can), and shove them in a large jar. As many as you can, but leave some room, because you want to fill that jar with oil as well. You can use jojoba oil which is the closest to being anti-allergic, but we use olive or seed oil. It works just as well.
    You're supposed to leave that jar in the shade for about a month, to reach full potency. During that time the active ingredients of the plant are infused in the oil and it starts to turn into a beautiful red colour. If you remove the oil earlier than when it turns blood red, for example if you remove it when the oil has become orange, then the infusion will simply be a weaker formula.

It takes a little time to do it right, but it works wonders. Smear some of the oil in the affected area and you'll get rid of rashes, itching and other symptoms of inflammation.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    We have aloe vera for more than 10 years. The purpose was for hair growing which was what the shampoo hype said. However, that hair-growing property of aloe vera is not true at all. However, aloe vera is good for insect bites, burns, rashes and other skin irritations. However, aloe vera is not common in the forest or jungle and I don't think you can find one. This I have learned from the rural folks. Find a tree with a sap. To check, all you have to do is to pick one leaf and check if it has that white sap. If there is, you can apply the sap onto the skin irritation. Take note that the sap causes irritation as well. But it kills the bacteria that's causing the rashes. So after 5 minutes you can wash off the sap and the rashes will have been treated and eventually heal.

Justin Baker likes this.
  5. acheno84

acheno84 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Interesting. I had no idea that basil would help with bug bite itches. Does it help repel mosquitoes as well? I tend to break out in hives over the smallest bites anymore so I am always looking to find out which plants helps people with skin issues.

Justin Baker likes this.
  6. Christavia

Christavia New Member
      3/23

Blog Posts:
    Growing up in the country Rose Mary was one of the main bushes used to kill germs from cuts or insect bites. We would pop a leaf and let the stain drops fall in the wound and it heal faster than usual. Cerassee was also used to rub on rashes and to purge blood if we ever ate anything we thought was poisonous.

7. PracticalToby

PracticalToby Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    Now that is useful information. I use dock leaves to soothe nettle stings, but never thought of basil leaves as a medicinal herb. I was bitten by a horsefly a couple of days ago (nasty big dungfly sort of thing) and it's been driving me mad. I just rubbed it with a couple of basil leaves and it's calmed down no end. Thanks so much!

8. amonda

amonda New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Apart from Aloe Vera which is absolutely amazing for rashes, cuts, burns and the whole works, so too is olive oil. Olive is great to soothe any form of itching or irritation due to rashes.

9. PracticalToby

PracticalToby Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I'm just drying sage leaves for winter use in cooking. Does anyone have any favourite medicinal uses for them? Common sense and possibly folk memory tells me they should be good for the digestion, perhaps as a tea? Speaking of which, I'm also drying mint for mint tea. And tomorrow I shall make another batch of mint wine. Which is, of course, purely medicinal!!! ; -)

10. DaBozzLady

DaBozzLady Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    All good ideas and suggestions above. I've personally used both aloe vera and cloves for healing purposes. Cloves also work extremely well on tooth aches. Cloves as well as cinnamon can also be used to disinfect wounds and reduce pain. Raw honey works on wounds because it is a natural antibacterial option. Plantain leaves are also good to soothe burns or cuts. I've also heard of comfrey, something like plaintains, that is anti-inflammatory and speeds up the healing process. Both comfrey and plaintains have also been known to give the immune system a boost and fight infections.

11. bluebetta

bluebetta Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    You hit the nail on the head. I have aloe vera and use it for most skin maladies. Tea tree oil is also a long proven favorite. I just wanted to add that some skin conditions, depending on what they are, have unique considerations. For heat rash or chaffing from hot weather and rubbing, plain corn starch helps. Some things need dried out, other things need moisturized. Chaffing and heat rash seem best off dried out. However you wouldn't want to put corn starch on eczema. Eczema gets worse when dried out, and needs moisturized. For rashes that need moisture, you need your aloe gel, coconut oil, and the like. Rashes are different and we have to consider the cause and condition. Tumeric is a mustard colored spice that will stain the skin a little, but has cleared up infections for me. Infected hang nails, boils,, splinters and things red and inflamed with infection, responded extremely well to a salt water soak followed by a tumeric plaster.

12. Doctorbea

Doctorbea New Member
      1/23

Blog Posts:
    Wintergreen has significant (cortisone like) anti-inflammatory properties , due to the high salicylic acid content.

Mint plants contain menthol, which is used as a tissue analgesic. This can take a lot of the itching and irritation out of the picture .

13. Rere

Rere New Member
      8/25

Blog Posts:
    Apart from Aloe Vera which is absolutely amazing for rashes, cuts, burns and the whole works, so too is olive oil. Olive is great to soothe any form of itching or irritation due to rashes.

Beautiful likes this.
  14. Scarlet

Scarlet Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    I'm using organic products since 2009. I have tried sunflower oil for rashes and it worked wonders. I usually have skin rashes during dry season or pollen season so my doctor advice me to moisturize my skin. A good moisturizer that is at the same time can get rid of skin itchiness that I recently tried and highly recommended is jojoba essential oil.

15. Richa94

Richa94 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Herbs that I use for dealing rashes are chamomile olive oil and aloe vera. If you are looking for herbs apart from aloe
    vera then you should definitely try these herbs.T hey not only help to cure rashes it also helps in soothing
    your skin.

16. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    A common one here is selfheal, also called woundwort. It grows wild and can be used as an infusion, a wash or in salads.

Radar likes this.
  17. Radar

Radar Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Not having any chickweed growing nearby, I used chickweed tea bags I had in stock for poison ivy. It didn't spread, it didn't itch much.
    I'd make the tea then apply cloth compresses soaked in the tea, to where the rash/skin contact occurred. I did that for 3 or 4 days, then noticed it was starting to raise slight bumps and get itchy. I continued this for 8 days total. Worked for me. Oh, i kept it covered with gauze all that time too.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    Basil leaf and Aloe Vera are mentioned well above and also mentioned in thread >>HERE<< , specifically dealing with itching, although, usually, rashes and itching go hand-in-hand!

TMT Tactical likes this.