Herbal Insect Reppelent

Discussion in 'Herbalism - Medicinal, Practical, and other Uses' started by Justin Baker, Feb 27, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    As the sun warms up some parts of the country, but not all, bugs start coming out. That means stings, itches, rashes, allergic reactions, and even, in some cases, diseases. This very strong and very effective bug spray will keep you and your loved ones bite and sting free in the coming months!

INGREDIENTS:
    • 1 Teaspoon Rose Geranium Essential Oil (ticks)
    • 1 Teaspoon Lavender Essential Oil (moths, fleas, and mosquitoes)
    • 1 Teaspoon Citronella Essential Oil (gnats, biting flies, and mosquitoes)
    • 1 Teaspoon Lemongrass Essential Oil (gnats, biting flies, and mosquitoes)
    • 1 Teaspoon Thyme Essential Oil (mosquitoes)
    • ½ Teaspoon Cedarwood Essential Oil (ticks)
    • ½ Teaspoon Eucalyptus Essential Oil (all stinging and biting bugs)
    • ½ Teaspoon Peppermint Essential Oil (ants and mosquitoes)
    • ¼ Teaspoon Basil Essential Oil (biting flies and mosquitoes)
    • ¼ Teaspoon Clove Essential Oil (mosquitoes)
    • ½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar or Witch Hazel
    • ¼ Cup Distilled Water
    • 8 Ounce Spray Bottle
    • Funnel
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. Using the funnel, pour the Apple Cider Vinegar (or witch hazel) into the spray bottle.
    2. Pour in all the essential oils, using the funnel.
    3. With the funnel still in the top of the spray bottle, pour in the Distilled Water to top off the container.
    4. Screw on sprayer and shake well.
    5. Make sure to label this concoction.
    To use, make sure you shake the bottle well. Apply liberally directly to any exposed skin every hour or two while outdoors. Again, this is a very strong, powerful bug spray, so be aware!

All the ingredients and supplies can be found through affiliate links on my blog. I use and recommend Starwest Botanicals. Feel free to peruse my website, where I do have some other recipes, some tips on wellness in general, and from there you can also purchase herbs and equipment you may require through my affiliate links. I do earn a small commission, at no extra cost to you, from those purchases.

Oh! And don’t forget, I am not a licensed physician, so before beginning or changing any routines that can affect your health it is always a good idea to consult your doctor. If a rash appears on your skin, stop use immediately and consult a physician.

TMT Tactical, Rebecca and randyt like this.
  2. Justin Baker

160/173

Blog Posts:
    A bunch of natural recipes call for the use of vodka instead of apple cider vinegar, but if you already have any bites, scratches, or cuts, it is going to hurt a lot!

TMT Tactical and randyt like this.
  3. Rebecca

Rebecca Master Survivalist
      315/345

Blog Posts:
    Thanks Justin, I am definitely going to try that. In a month or so there will be swarms of annoying bugs here so it will be put to the test!

Justin Baker and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    I built my place in the heart of bug country way way back in the woods , In the month of june there were so many bugs i used to say stick our hand up and close it and you have 14 bugs in your hand. i remembered an old indians trick, just do not wash at all, for a week. I was by myself building my place so that is what i did and it did work. much later on i finished the work for the time being and returned back to my city house. when i came in the door my wife said STOP RIGHT THERE. i was told to strip down completely and walk directly to the shower. also so not wash with soap, or shampoo, or eat bananas, wear white clothes, never wear black anything. built smoky fires .
    this does work

Justin Baker and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Once it its the fan, and people have to tote water, I would imagine that bathing will take a big hit.

6. Justin Baker

160/173

Blog Posts:
    I find this just as good as the DEET from my childhood in the forests of Glacier, Montana! I also used this in Tennessee! And of course, here in Oregon. At no point has it let me down so far!

TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.