Heroin Epidemic.

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by jeager, Jul 7, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. jeager

jeager Master Survivalist
      272/345

Blog Posts:
    An Ohio sheriff says administering Narcan to people who repeatedly overdose is 'sucking the taxpayers dry.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/americas-heroin-epidemic

Sheriff says his agency will no longer use Narcan to save druggies from heroin overdoses.

It's expensive, requires even more training for officers, and druggies go right back on
    heroin anyway.

I agree.

This is another kind of survival. Those addicted to heroin won't survive a shtf anyway
    and will be a huge liability to prepared people.
    These addicts will to anything to get more dope including killing you and me.

Most rehab hospitals were first established to treat alcohol abuse.
    That's easy compared to heroin abuse.
    Neither is good, both are awful but heroin is far worse.
    Heroin is cheaper now than ever before.

Is this a hard stand?
    Sure is.
    Survival is hard.

2. Tina Thompson

Tina Thompson New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    It's not a hard stand to take if people are in survival mode. I do feel though that emergency personnel, doctors, and people in the health profession are obligated to treat anyone in any condition. When it comes to our policemen having to use Narcan to revive a heroin addict I have mixed feelings. I can understand their frustration and it shouldn't be a part of their duty, but they are put in that position especially now with so many overdoses lately that it's literally up to them a lot of times whether that person lives or dies. There's always a chance that a revived person will be scared into not doing it anymore and break free from it. It's all a mess.

3. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    Only 10% of heroin addicts stay off the drug for one year.
    Terrible.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    anyone who takes drugs is taking their lives in their hands, is an idiot and unworthy of my sympathy.
    they aren't going to be around for long post SHTF once their supply dries up.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  5. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    Heroin is a problem in the East African coast and some other urban centres. Most rehab facilities target alcohol and cannabis addicts. It has un be said that by far, alcohol has the worst social and medical cost not un mention the economics since its legalised and this belies its devastating nature.

6. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I think training youths to a more productive life is better. If someone is busy and has something meaningful going for him, he would find it easy.

7. OfficerOtto

OfficerOtto Well-Known Member
      80/115

Blog Posts:
    Just for information here, hardly any officers are carrying NarCan, which requires a needle to use. Officers are carrying Naloxone (both brand names). Naloxone comes with a nasal atomizer and is sprayed in the nasal cavity of an overdose victim. NarCan brings people up fighting where Naloxone is usually much more "gentle." The training, also, takes 15 minutes but some jurisdictions insist on two hours worth of training. The chemical doesn't require a medical professional to administer because it can't cause harm if the person is not having an overdose.

In a survival situation, these are going to be the first people to go. Most people on heroin are truly chemically dependent on it; their bodies will simply shut down without it. They'll be terribly dangerous shortly after SHTF, willing to do almost anything to get their fix, but their danger will decline dramatically soon after.

GS AutoTech likes this.
  8. jeager

272/345

Blog Posts:
    "In a survival situation, these are going to be the first people to go."

Well let 'em go then.
    I hate being harsh but surviving a shtf fan will be harsh.
    I'm the sort that will help about anyone but
    a person with a harpoon in the arm????????
    I don't think so.
    Using those kinds of drugs is a felony.
    Using those kinds of drugs tells me all I need to
    know about that sort.
    Darwin effect don'cha'know.
    My middle son lived in a large city with his
    liberal mother after she and I divorced.
    Son served 6.5 years on prison for burglaries
    he committed while hooked on heroin.
    I let him.
    He's out, with me, works, and won't even drink
    a beer.
    Hard lesson learned. Very hard.
    His cell mate turned him around.
    A lifer at age 18, now 65 or so, that killed a man over $49 bucks.
    His name is George and he's never getting out.
    When I was an officer some of my very best friends were former convicts.
    They turned themselves around after a stint
    in prison.
    I had great respect for those people.
    One fellow did 7 years in the joint due to his
    thefts to support his drug habit.
    He married a nurse, started a family and has
    helped many, many, people kick bad drug
    habits and become decent citizens.
    The hidden addicts are doctors and nurses.
    I know a few and arrested a nurse for shooting
    terminal cancer patients with water and stealing the morphine.
    beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeatch!
    She never served a day in jail.
    Sent to that rehab in Florida for nurses and
    doctors.
    Got out and went back into nursing.

9. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I've had personal experience with junkies. Substance abuse is a choice Not a disease. The mental & physical dependence drives the junky to continue the abuse. Being a compassionate person makes me sad to see people in this state. BUT knowing what these drug crazed Zombies are capable of I would never hesitate to defend myself from them.

10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    not too worried about junkies, they'll be dead fairly soon after their supply dries up.
    its the "gimmie" sheeple i'm more concerned about.

11. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    I hear all the time that treatment is the answer to getting people off drugs & programs to teach ppl not to try drugs...
    The reality is that once an addict always an addict. The rate of relapse for true addicts is ultra steep. Where that rate of true recovery is minute. The state insists on spending billions removing demand by way of treatments rather than full on plan to remove the supply. People are weak by nature & demand or tendency towards addiction will never go away. But if the supply is eliminated you remove the addiction by default. No drug, no addiction. So yes, if SHTF, no supply, no Junkies.

12. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    no live ones anyway!!:D

GS AutoTech likes this.