New Member Hi From Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by 20Gt, Feb 12, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. 20Gt

20Gt Member
      18/29

Blog Posts:
    Just looking around, didn't have any idea what a prepper was until one week ago.

If a SHTF event happens are there large groups of people that already set up a quasi or real leadership and have plan or is it basically fend for yourselves?

2. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the forum.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to here, 20Gt!

Many feel that the best way to "disaster-proof" ourselves is to prepare on a personal/family level. It is a good idea to remain low-key and not broadcast your prep plans or you will be a special target for freeloaders (and takers) if and when a severe or prolonged event happens.

Large groups? Great stuff for books and movies, but not so much in the real world. Although some large groups do exist, I suspect that they have not yet been "tested" by hard times. But having a network of trusted and reliable friends and family is not a bad idea.

Keep in mind, your outcome may depend upon who/what you are surrounded by. Extreme deprivation brings out the worst in most people and the best in others. Even family members. If you don't want to fly solo, construct your group or network with extreme care. It has always been my policy to never reveal the full extent of my preps to ANYONE. You never know when a trusted member of your circle of friends and family will take on a significant other that does not measure up to your level of security...then what? Plan ahead for that eventuality, too.

On the other hand, flying solo has its advantages and drawbacks as well. It seems to work best if you are in a super-remote area.

There is an interesting thread being discussed right now about that very subject: https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads...-and-bigger-is-better-theory.6129/#post-41607

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Good day 20gt & welcome to this forum. For the most part we concentrate on individual prepping/survival on this forum. There may well be groups out there, but I don't think they are represented on this forum.
    Keith.

Sourdough and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

Start with your self and then when You feel your are able to stand on your own, then consider a group or follow GrizzleyetteAdams and create a network of friends and family. Most important don't be afraid to ask questions and research the many old threads here, there is a wealth of information on this forum.

Morgan101 and Sourdough like this.
  6. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:

Whoops, I think maybe you meant "follow GrizzlyetteAdam's" idea/example/...or? Rather than literally join my network? I hope so, because we are an uber-private closed group that took decades to construct, lol.

20Gt, I think this may be what TMT was referring to: See the first post in this thread. https://mysurvivalforum.com/threads...lore-backups-for-plan-b-or-c.6141/#post-41488

Works for us!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  7. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the forum! We look forward to your posts! To your question, I prefer to focus on my family as the only group I trust.

Sourdough likes this.
  8. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:

Yes I did mean for 20Gt to follow concept / idea. --- But ON the other hand, it might be fun to have a few hundred lost souls following YOU across hill and dale. Yeah, I know I have a very strange sense of humor..

Sourdough and GrizzlyetteAdams like this.
  9. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    8b295b064201b22dd75372ecfa33fa9f.jpeg via Imgflip Meme Generator

10. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I do know of a couple of UK groups but they're small and a little too political for my taste (I suspect that I'm not political enough for their tastes either)
    I want nothing to do with them after TSHTF, instead I have a small network of like minded friends including doctors, teachers, mechanics etc. We all live in a rural area, some of us even own or manage adjacent property.

TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  11. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Missouri. Good to have you with us. Read the old posts and learn as much as you can. If you can't find what you need ask questions. Sound advice from TMT Tactical. Start with yourself, and get your own house in order, then you can look for a group. I doubt that any group would accept you if you came empty handed.

TMT Tactical likes this.