New Member Hi From Upstate New York.

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction' started by BigJohn87, Apr 13, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. BigJohn87

BigJohn87 New Member
      1/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi guys I'm Big John. I'm based near lake Oneida and have been prepping for 3 years or so now. COVID-19 has proven that it was a wise choice to get prepared. Glad I did.

I hope I can learn a thing or two and maybe share a thing or two.

Thanks for reading.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome from Missouri.

"Every mornin' at the mine you could see him arrive..." How many times have you heard that?

Good to have you with us.

TMT Tactical and BigJohn87 like this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Big John,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your 3 years of prepping definitely paid out much, much, much with this national event going on !

Yes, indeed, posting here helps the learning experience of the reader and the poster.

Looking forward to your active participation.

Transmitting from the Chesapeake Bay area of Virginia.

TMT Tactical and BigJohn87 like this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Howdy Big John. You've already helped educate me. Y'know, Americans know about New York's Finger Lakes, but lake Oneida ... uhhh ... I didn't know jack about that one. Now I do. Went onto geo map and flew over it. HUGE, 80sq. mi. ! Sorry the area is so flat. I thought there were at least some hills up there, nope. Farm land y'all have farm land -- that's super good. I note forests, super excellent!

Do you have a garden? You gotta wife to help you out with your chores?

Great that you are an engineer. Your technical inputs will be of great value. There are several on this site who are short-wave radio folk (one of my sons is, not me).

I've worked for the big companies (techno-world, electronics, medical electronics) so that allowed me to get to know a handful of folk from upstate NY. I've always split NY into American upstate NY and international (not a part of America) NY City. I have a very positive feeling for upstate NY, but see NYC as a spiritual cancer.

If I may ask, do you live north of lake Oneida, or south of the lake?

Glad also that you are so very young. One goal of older preppers is of course to get the up'n'coming generations prepared. (All of my "kids" are older than you.) So what if I get a dirt blanket! My body is broken, I'm finished. I care about my kids & grandkids.

On this site we have been getting new folk onboard and that is good. My recommendations to you would be to look at the old posts within the areas in which you are most interested. Your profile says that you like the outdoors. Lord only knows how many posts concerning outdoor survival techniques/tricks/equipment have been posted here! Holy crap! But you may find other topics that may spark your curiosity and get you to become more prepared in that area of survival.

Due to how I was raised, one of my interests has been gardening. Thus my question to you above. The wifer and I put back a bunch of food from our garden last year. Now what with this covid19 puppy, being stuck in our house and such, this means that we are not having to head out to the grocery over and over and over, as do those who have not put back food. My wife could be making squash bread for months. Peppers, I could go into the hot spice business. We store dried noodles; from the garden my wife made numerous jars of tomato paste; so we could now turn into Italians in the cuisine department.

Welcome on board Big John. I'll be looking forward to your inputs from your neck of the woods.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to this forum.

I served four years at a state institution* in Rochester, New York. They worked diligently attempting to get my mind right, they failed. Governor Nelson Rockefeller signed my release papers, and I was off to majestic Alaska.

*Rochester Institute of Technology

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Warm Welcome from the Arizona valley folks. USA

7. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    A warm welcome from Alaska!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member
      82/115

Blog Posts:
    Welcome!!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    Welcome, from South Carolina! Yeah all the people who thought we were crazy for being Preppers.. Haha who was right now?!

Stay safe up there Brother!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the forum from West Virginia.

Dale

TMT Tactical likes this.