Historic Old Remedies "scrap Book"

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Apr 29, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.motherjones.com/coronav...ue-comforts-my-familys-wacky-old-remedy-book/

Good afternoon all,

The COVID-19 pandemic and the mass quarantines generated this article.

It's about a "scrap book" of home remedies circa mid-19th century.

Actually, germ theory was known by this time. Also, believe some spider webs produced a mild form of penicillin. I recall Daniel Boone of Virginia, and later of places further westward, self-inoculated against smallpox via cowpox.

Great, Great Grandma had no remedies with a tincture of sour mash ?

I read the current POTUS narrative. The lamb stream media changed the Trump statement. Had nothing to do with injecting disinfectant.

When did Brit's RN sailors get the nickname "Limies" ? as per having lime/lemon for anti-scurvy (or other disease?) ?

I believe Wild Turkey brand now has a honey concoction that's excellent for sore throat relief. Don't operate a motor vehicle after this medication.

Before relocating to Atlanta from Chattanooga, circa very early 20th century, believe the pharmacist who "invented" Coca Cola had it spiked with cocaine.

I am now in the mood for some of that San Francisco chocolate - can't spell name: Gh____.

Blitz and howler like this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    Talking about old remedy, does anyone ever try the extract of eastern purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea). It is said to improve immunity system. I've recently try it, unfortunately it seem due to suffering from gastric acid I'm unable to tolerate it.

Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  3. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

Had heard of but never tried the mentioned extract.

Once there is a need to improve upon a weakened immune system, professional intervention is usually required.

Your example of inability to tolerate the extract relates to many with weakened systems seeking improvements. It requires checks on the systems, especially blood chemistry.

At one time the US Veterans Health Administration had a good program but it collapsed.

Blitz, LastOutlaw and TMT Tactical like this.
  4. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    I think I just going back consuming what my own ancestor were using rather than consuming herb extract that too foreign for my body

5. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Varuna, You can also purchase Echinacea essential oil and it can be used by rubbing on skin or by using an atomizer and breathing it in. I use cedar oil for breathing that way and my family rubs peppermint essential oil on our temples for bad headaches. Just a recommendation, since your stomach won't tolerate the echinacea.

Dale

Blitz, TMT Tactical and varuna like this.
  6. varuna

380/460

Blog Posts:
    They are only available as a strip of 4x 300mg tablet here. Anyway I'm back with my own ancestor (from my patrilinear side) herbs remedies which is a mix of true cinnamon, lemon grass, pandan, star anise, ginger, clove, and white pepper. But still can't take much of it due to my stomach albeit less severe compare to that of the Echinacea :(

7. Dalewick

Dalewick Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I'm surprised essential oils aren't available. Hope your remedy makes you feel better. Good luck!

Dale

varuna, Blitz and TMT Tactical like this.
  8. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    Echinacea was all the rage in Aus some years back. I never bothered with it though. I get very sceptical with all these companies bringing out various herbal remedies just to make a quid.

With reference to "limies", I seem to recall the term was originally "lime juicers" but I could be wrong. Lonewolf would be the one to accurately answer that question. I think it was because some bright spark worked out that eating limes stopped scurvy somewhere in the 1800's but I'm sure there's more to the story. Not sure why it became such a derogatory term.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz Master Survivalist
      412/460

Blog Posts:
    When I was sorting out some boxes with my husband's paraphernalia a few months ago, I came across a book that belonged to his father about various household tips and cures. It had me rolling on the floor with laughter with some of the bizarre remedies. Stuffed if I can find where I put the bloody thing now though.

There was one entry I remembered though regarding how to work out if mushrooms are poisonous. You sprinkle salt on the gills and if the gills turn yellow, the mushroom is poisonous and if they turn black, they are safe to eat. Hmmm. Hope I got that the right way around. Don't take my word for it though ... I did gleefully try it out at the time with some mushrooms which had sprouted in the paddock after all the rain but I wasn't game to eat it ...

I'll see if I can locate the book, providing I didn't pack it away again.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you find it, you find it.

The remedies my paternal grandmother visited upon me as a kid may have foreshortened my illnesses, however one must ask themselves if the torture of treatment was worth any benefit.

Mustard plasters -- I've been the recipient victim of them.

Dalewick, TMT Tactical and Blitz like this.