History;nuc Shelters And Their Food

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Feb 27, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://www.history.com/news/cold-war-fallout-shelter-survival-rations-food

Good morning all,

Per ...

Sidebar: I am a graduate of "duck and cover". One of our signature lines was "This desk isn't going to protect me against an atomic bomb".

"Grandma was already ready for an emergency" because life and it's continuity was ... still is ... an emergency.

Note "sand-like multi-purpose food".

At article's intro picture, bottom left corner, that "entrenching tool" (small handle shovel) can give user a workout exceeding gym class.

Professional historians: Note that liquor was never kept in fallout shelters. Does anyone remember "Pinch" bottle of liquor ? I once saw a sign in Uncle's semi-finished shelter made of cardboard and printed to look like a plank of wood. It had a picture of a lady in a modern skirt. Sign read "She wears mink all day and fox all night". The WWII generation of veterans knew how to prepare.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    I remember duck and cover. I was in Catholic School, so the whole time we were ducking and covering we were saying the rosary. Seems that every classroom had a complete wall of glass windows. I'm not sure if you would be safer being close to the windows and have everything blow over you, or being on the other side of the room. In either case the praying was probably the most effective thing we did.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. All of these biscuits, and Survival Crackers, and Doomsday cookies IMHO are variations of Hard Tack. They do serve the dual purpose of being edible, and capable of stopping a bullet. Not sure of the nutritional value but they will fill the void.

Fast forward many years, and I remember Pinch Scotch quite well. It was an upper level Scotch offering made by the Haig company. Takes me back to my Bartending days. It was very good. Here is a link if anybody is interested.

https://thewhiskypedia.com/dimple-scotch/pinch-scotch

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Morgan,

That's it ! Thank you. Will glance at link soon.

Those WWII guys knew about preparedness.

I am now in the mood for a ...... can't drink ...... but there is a supply of both the corn based and rye based stuff here from era when I could consume the stuff. If / when SHTF, might have to re transmit my heliograph messages to you - because I'm sampling .....

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  4. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    I have been a Scotch drinker for more years than I care to remember. If I don't miss my guess I think Pinch was the affectionate name, due to the bottle, but wasn't it also called Haig & Haig, sometimes abbreviated to H&H? I don't want to tempt you into bad habits, but I am reasonably certain God put me on Earth to be a bad example. I have more Scotch in my bar than most saloons. Bourbons are not far behind. If everything really goes South I may just get as drunk as a monkey, and let the rest of the world go by.

Enjoy whatever it is you can drink.!!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon Morgan,

My memory is getting refreshed.

I do remember "Haig and Haig Pinch" mentioned.

Currently, beverages are only coffee, espresso, and water.

If the corona viruses scare away the hurricanes, I'll be joining you in letting the world go by.

In case my heliograph goes out of service before SHTF, here's my favorite toast:

"The United States - bounded on the north by the Aurora Borealis, on the south by the precession of the equinoxes, on the east by the primeval chaos and on the west by the Day of Judgment."

John Fiske (1842 - 1901)

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  6. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Perfect!! I will have to admit my favorite I can attribute to Dean Martin:

I finally found the perfect girl.
    I have to look no more.
    She's deaf and dumb and oversexed
    And owns a Liquor Store.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Very good Morgan.

You've brought back many faded memories.

Only vaguely I remember the Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis partnership.

TMT Tactical likes this.