Hog Raising In the City

Discussion in 'Animal Husbandry' started by gracer, Jul 4, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. gracer

gracer New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    I have always wondered if there's a possibility one could raise pigs in the city. It has been my thought that if only the law in our city would allow managed hog raising in cities, with all the proper drainage and sanitary facilities in place then I would be one of the owners of pigs in the city. Is there ever a possibility that we can raise hogs in our backyards the way we raise dogs and cats? Any thoughts?

2. joshposh

joshposh Master Survivalist
      260/345

Blog Posts:
    In my local area back in the States, there are 2 categories pets and animals fall under. It's either livestock and domesticated animals. Dog's and cats are considered domesticated and can be raised in the city limits as long as they follow leash and licensing laws. Livestock is basically farm animals that aren't suppose to be in a urbanized area. I know some places in the states where the city actually looks like a rural country side and they have special codes that allow them for open grazing. But as far as heavily urbanized areas, you won't see goats and horses being raised in a apartment building and pooping in the streets.

3. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08 Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    You need to run raising a pig by your city first. I know in some areas of the town I live in it is ok to have backyard chickens while in other areas it is prohibited. I don't want you to incur a hefty fine if your area is not zoned for backyard farm animals.

4. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    I was born and raised in a city apartment. In my younger years, raising pigs was common in the urban area. But it's not for commercial purpose but usually for occasions. Most of the piglets are bought 4 months before the wedding or baptismal and some for the fiesta which is the community holiday. When the pigs are 5 or 6 months old, that's the best age for butchering especially for roasting which is for grand affairs. In those days, most big occasions have the whole roasted pig for the blockbuster dish.

But as the city became crowded, there was an ordinance banning the raising of pigs because of the unpleasant odor. So now it is very rare to see someone in the city raising a pig although I know there are exceptions.