Homeland Prep News Of 12 July 19

Discussion in 'Other Reference Material' started by Pragmatist, Jul 13, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    howler and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    https://homelandprepnews.com/

Good afternoon all,

Above is the current Friday, 27 Sep ed.

Note the article "ASPR's Kadles: Smallpox ... about the 14 Sep explosion and fire at a Russian bioweapons facility.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess that they are not aware that chlorine gas was used along with mustard gas in WW1. Chlorine gas is a killer! You don't need to fund a million-dollar research project to figure that out. I've made and used chlorine gas to force critters out pf places. They either run or die. Even a little of it will burn your lungs. My Mother in law nearly did herself in one time. She was unaware that when you mix bleach with ammonia the result is chlorine gas. She was cleaning in the bathroom with that mixture and it messed her lungs up and ran everyone out of the house.

I had a skunk under the house one time. I put a some ammonia in a gallon plastic bleach bottle with some bleach. I put the cap on it and shook it up. I then went to the opening in the skirting so I could toss the bottle under the house. I shook it up one more time andthen poked a hole in it with an ice pick and tossed it under. About twenty munutes later the skunk came out and left in a hurry. The gas dissipated pretty fast. It is heavier than air and so spreads fairly fast.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  7. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good afternoon TexDanm,

I have a hunch the article is less about applications of chemistry and more so to get the reading public's attention.

This week's Homeland Prep News carried some related bio-chem articles (I believe).

I'm familiar with the history of chlorine gas and the others used during WWI. US Army artillery commander Harry Truman's battery participated in shooting chemical ordnance.

I've personally made chlorine gas - BY ACCIDENT ! The bleach container is sturdy, like the stuff of PVC pipe. The ammonia container is flemsey and it broke at the side. Results during my cleaning project: chlorine gas. Experience is better than a HAZMAT course !

Now, safety governs my cleaning choirs.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    My mother in law thought that if bleach was good to sanitize things that if you added some ammonia to it would just make it better. I guess it did. It will kill nearly ANYTHING!!! It took her a couple of weeks to get over it. Myself personally if hate the smell of ammonia and it is toxic in itself. The Refrigerators that they put in campers that will operate off of 110, 12 volts or propane use ammonia as the refrigerant. If one of them pops a line in a small camper it is BAD.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning TexDanm,

Am hoping mother in law fared OK.

In high school was on track team and cross country team. A requirement was to have an ammonia capsule pinned to shirt just in case - not sure of what.

Real interesting on camper use of ammonia as the refrigerant; a guaranteed hazard.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    And then there is phosgene gas that can be accidentally made by the burning of Freon.

https://www.answers.com/Q/Phosgene_gas_exposure_from_working_with_freon.

https://itstillruns.com/can-fluid-leak-cause-fire-5371463.html

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard ! Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Just to show how stupid people (corporations) can be --- Worked at company that had a chiller ( using Freon refrigerant ) next to a open flame boiler and an air handler (Large unit to push cooled air) --- located with a 20 x 20 foot (approximate size) enclosed room. Talk about the perfect storm. Chiller springs leak, boiler lights and converts freon into phosgene gas and the air handler will suck up the gas and pump the gas into the work area of a couple of dozen worker bee's. When I reported this situation to the Safety manager (graduate of prestigious California university) his solution was the post a sign that said not to enter if you smell strange odor. I opted for a refrigerant detection sensor and an auto pilot lock out. No pilot light, no boiler ignition.

12. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning TMT Tactical,

ROFL - I love gallows humor and example is highest-quality !

Ref the prestigious California university; I assign zero prestige to these institutions. Many of their graduates "merely" purchased their trade cards.

The safety manager's solution to post a warning sign is also an indicator warning sign as to why the US is experiencing a declining standard of living and many of the overseas WWII-devastated areas have upward mobility.

It's as clear as white light passing through a prism.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You have to remove the freon from the system before you make any repairs. It is just about impossible to solder up a hole in a line if there is any freon in the system. Freon expands and contracts in direct relation to its temperature. Before the solder can solidify the freon pressure will blow it right back out of the hole. I've actually never known anyone to try.

One of the biggest dangers of freon is drowning in it. If you are working in a small place or down in a hole you need to be careful Freon is much heavier than air and will pool. It is odorless and colorless and will displace the air. You will not realize what is happening until you get short of breath.

I never experienced this but I used to mess with the young guys in the office some times they would all be sitting around and I would come in and make some dry ice. Carbon Dioxide is also much heavier than air and as I made the dry ice the CO2 would pool and start to build up in the room. I would be standing and have my head above the line and they would be as if underwater. They would start breathing hard and it would take a minute or two before they would figure out what I was doing to them. You then threw the door open to the outside and it would rush out.

I never understood how something that is 5 times heavier than air was supposed to get in the upper atmosphere to affect the ozone layer. Personally, I think that was all bullshit and it cost America alone a half a trillion dollars to convert from CFCs to HFCs for no real reason. The holes in the ozone layer over Antarctica were and are a seasonal thing caused by the magnetic field of the earth and the constant sunshine in part of the year and constant dark for part of the year. Ozone is both made and destroyed by photons striking ozone molecules. Note that after all their end of the word predictions it is now NEVER mentioned. They just moved on to the next end of the world lie...

TMT Tactical likes this.