Hot-hot-hot-hot-hot All Time Record Heat In Alaska.

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Sourdough, Jul 4, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Sourdough

Sourdough "eleutheromaniac"
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Bump to jumpstart the thread.

3. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    I am feeling the same heat! The weather that is bringing heat is also bringing dry weather. The dry weather is what I’m most concerned about. My modest garden is doing well with the sun, but my rain water collection system will go dry today, but I’ll simply get water for the garden from the stream running through our property.

My main concern are wildfires. I think there are about 170 active fires in Alaska right now. None of the current fires are close to me to be a threat, but the smoke makes its way to me. I am 50 miles beyond the response range of any fire department, so I’m on my own if one starts in my AO. With what I cleared around my main structures, my most critical structures should do fine, but I’d likely loose a couple less important structures.

With the way the climate is going, the positives for me are a better growing season, the honey bees are thriving, the wild berries are better than they ever have, and some of the caribou that have been absent for decades are now back in small numbers. Next year I will double my rain water collection system as this is the second year in a row that I’ve had to supplement with stream water.

4. Sonofliberty

Sonofliberty Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Damn, if it keeps warming up like that I might move there myself

Radar, Keith H. and TMT Tactical like this.
  5. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    You would be far more then welcome.
    My fear is if this pattern continues, and it very well could, based on what I have observed of the steady consistent change in Alaska's weather over the last 50 year. It could result in a massive influx of humans to Alaska.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  6. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I would do fine until it came to those long 24 hour endless nights. I get cabin fever when the weather makes it dark for several days. The good news is that a warmer Alaska hasn't also be reflected in warmer lower 48. The heat seems to be mostly affecting the more extreme northern areas. Are a few days with warm lower 90s temperatures really all that bad? We have days like that in the dead of winter here sometimes and always have. If someone finds the low 90s a problem they definitely don't want to do a summer in the south.

Even with that though. I saw a show the other day that was a rerun on one of the science channels where they were talking about the north polar icecap melting and that within 5 years the North West passage was going to become a major shipping lane. Unfortunately, that was almost 15 years ago and it still hasn't happened.

TMT Tactical and Sonofliberty like this.
  7. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Actually it largely has and is happening "NOW". We have Polar Bears 215 miles inland from the ocean. We have Polar Bears cross breeding with Grizzly Bears.

They are now sailing large ships through that passage. And Russia has truly massive nuclear powered ice breakers to keep it open year around. I think they have two now and five more under construction. It is a short direct route from China to England for shipping product. The petroleum products in reserve in that North Eastern part of Russia is off the charts for quantity.

Kind'a cute: Russia calls it "The Northeastern Passage" what is cute is that for hundreds of years it was to the rest of the world dreamed of, "The Northwestern Passage"

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Nothing good to say about the weather here, we did not get the usual rain in summer, & so far nothing in winter. Winter is not the usual winter either. One lot of snow & then nothing. We are in a drought, & fast running out of water. The nearest town run out of water. Water is being supplied to the town from the nearest small city, but now that city is running low on water too.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Anchorage, Alaska set another new record high temp. today.

TMT Tactical, Keith H. and Radar like this.
  10. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    We need to go back to burning high sulfur coal. The sulfur in the upper atmosphere will help block the solar radiation let in by our planet's collapsing magnetic flux lines.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Keith, I wish we could send you some of our rain. Ever since Harvey about two years ago we have been in an almost constant flood stage. Right now it seems to rain EVERY afternoon. The heat is about normal but the humidity is a killer. If mosquitoes were a cash crop we would all be getting rich! A few years ago we had the drought and the fires all over the place. I'm tired of the floods but they are better than the drought and fires.

12. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    We all know the cure for the global weather problem. Just know one has the balls to come out a say it.

Keith H. and Sonofliberty like this.
  13. poltiregist

poltiregist Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Polar Shift , it happens . Some parts of the globe will experience warmer temperature and some parts cooler temperatures . In the overall picture this temperature shift will increase . Actually some people may find it more survivable to move to a different area .

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  14. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    Progressives have one "solution". See the Georgia Guide Stones for what that solution entails. Hint, Hitler, Stalin and Mao are just poseurs compared to their proffered solution.

15. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    So we just need more humans. Say 7.4 Billion now........all issues solved with 14.8 BILLION humans. Maybe we need to selectively cull existing over population. Maybe around 2.5 to say 3.1 Billion humans might reverse the climate problem.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The fact is that even when the human population was less than a billion there were still periods of blazing hot dry weather patterns that wiped out many fairly large and well-established cultures. Before there were ANY people there were ice ages and hot ages. There are coal deposits and fossil remains even in Antarctica indicating a time when even the pole area were warm enough for plant and animal life.

People will either adapt as species have had to do forever or go extinct as most species have in the past. The oceans rise and fall. At one time there was a huge inland sea in the middle of North America. There was a tie when the oceans were as much as 600 feet lower than they are now. There were no people around to blame.

Things change. If it gets hotter maybe my great grandkids will grow corn or run cattle in Northern Canada or they will have ocean front property where I live now. People live in places now where it is hot as hell. People are or at least can be VERY adaptable. Or they can be hysterical run in circles and die. Personally, I think that we have allowed too many weak and stupid people to survive in the first world countries and are in desperate need of something that will again allow the fittest to thrive without having to carry the unfit on their shoulders.

The polar bears only REAL problem is that people will kill them if they head South just like they have throughout most of North America. Were it not for that they are already showing a willingness to adapt that many people now seem to lack...

17. GrizzlyetteAdams

GrizzlyetteAdams Crap Creek Survivor
      390/460

Blog Posts:
    The polar bears be hatin' the Alaskan heat waves back in 1919, and the 1940s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s...and are probably saying, "Enough already! Where is my Klondike Ice Cream Bar?"

33b654c7f5731f43f8a022ca9a5588e0.png

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...igh-in-anchorage-on-independence-day/70008741

Heat waves aside...It's those sustained above normal temps that are thawing out the permafrost that gives serious cause for concern.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  18. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Floods we can handle, we are on a mountain. But too much water is as bad as not enough water.
    Keith.

Radar and TMT Tactical like this.
  19. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    I remember back in my hippie days, we did everything in our power to get "The Establishment" to stop polluting our country, and by extension, this earth. It worked to some degree... The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was born on July 9, 1970, when President Richard Nixon finally got tired of all the sit-ins, lay-ins, etc. and took notice of the message.

Fast forward to our present day... I believe we now have more environmental protection laws than any other country. There are more regulations in place than ever before, but similar work needs to be done on a global scale.

Now if only China, Russia, and other countries would get on board with curbing their pollution that is impacting the world.

'fraid that's not gonna happen because...follow the money trail.

Alaskajohn, TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  20. Sourdough

515/575

Blog Posts:
    Was 101* yesterday here on both of my "Un-official" thermometers.

21. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    You know things ain't right when an ol' sourdough is in danger of getting swampbutt... Not only will the heat make the bears ornery but if you are not careful, you will be too.

I hope you never know how swampbutt feels. I have heard horror stories, lol. If you find out the hard way, they say stuff like this helps:

d434d137fe82c23bf1a3e9ed30711a33.jpeg

d434d137fe82c23bf1a3e9ed30711a33.jpeg

22. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Unfortunately that is no longer the case, since Trump took office he has been rolling back many of the earlier environmental controls. He has even been trying to convince the Australian government to relax our food safety legislation so that we will allow more American foods into Australia!!!
    Keith.

23. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    Yes, some have been rolled back and others are being put into place. Even so, we are still leagues ahead of most countries for environmental protection.

More attention should be directed at the offenders who refuse to do a single thing, not at the country who is doing more than most. Make the blows count, and all that...

But that is not what misdirected propaganda wants, which is why I carefully research the source of any message I listen to.

24. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Well you can add Australia to the list of countries that is doing nothing, in fact the government has given a green light to another coal mine, & they are going to construct another coal power station!!!
    Keith.

Radar and GrizzlyetteAdams like this.
  25. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    What is so sad, there are so many individuals who are willing to pull their load, but we are powerless when our global society is run by the machine of Big Business and their political bedpartners.

Even solar panels, batteries, etc. are all manufactured irresponsibly, and the process of making them creates more pollution so we can partake of "clean energy." What a hoot.

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  26. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    You are to blame for the travesty that is the EPA? I agree, it started with the best of intentions but now it is a club used to bash businesses until they go under. Our coal plants are among the cleanest in the world, but the epa is bound and determined to destroy the coal industry. Government could screw up a wet dream

27. GrizzlyetteAdams

390/460

Blog Posts:
    The EPA idea is great, but given enough time and money, almost every organization on earth is susceptible to corruption.

TMT Tactical, Radar and Alaskajohn like this.
  28. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    There are lots of reasons why I moved north to Alaska. The pristine air, water and landscapes was among the top. I am in no way a tree hugging environmentalists, but I detest smog, pollution, and people who crap all over the earth. I’m all for responsible stewardship of what God gave us. I am most certainly pro resource development. Just do it responsibly because it’s the right thing to do.

Living in Alaska you see first hand how significantly the weather has changed over the ages. The earth has been warming for many hundreds of years. It’s been warming long before combustion engines were invented. I have no idea what’s causing it. But it’s happening.

29. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Having too much water sounds good until it is your home that has 2 or 3 feet of water in it for the third time in two years. I KNOW people that lived in their homes for 25 years and were not flooded once that have had that special pleasure several times in the last few years.

We had snow three times winter before last and hardly went over a hundred last summer. If you base the climate on what is happening in any one place you can come up with nearly anything. That is weather, not climate.

TMT Tactical, Radar and Sonofliberty like this.
  30. Sonofliberty

407/460

Blog Posts:
    The cleanest power source we could technologically take advantage of is Thorium powered nuclear plants. However, the damned leftists and .gov are working hand in hand to prevent those plants. Stupid leftists just near the word "nuclear" and freak the hell out refusing to listen to reason. ,gov hates Thorium because you can't make nuclear weapons from a Thorium plant. Big business hates Thorium because it is dirt cheap compared to Uranium and we have shitloads of it just laying on the ground in the western US. It is more radioactive in the short term, but long term it is much, much less radioactive. It becomes U-232 in the reaction process Plus, once you get enough processed Thorium, you no longer need any uranium to jump-start the reaction.

TMT Tactical and Radar like this.
  31. NomadWill

NomadWill Expert Member
      240/345

Blog Posts:
    It's been 100+ here all summer, except on the few days we've had storms.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  32. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    To avoid heat, stay away from the equator (Duh!), but also cities. Near American coastlines, ocean currents often bring unnatural heat levels with them. Also, paved roads asphalt or concrete suck-up heat, then even after sunset continue to radiate heat. The more humans pave, the more forests cut, the higher the heat. This is not advanced science.

The Brazilians are cutting into the Amazon rain forest. The Japanese are harvesting our trees in Washington State. In sub-Saharan Africa, the Japanese are cutting down swaths of rain-forest. It was the Japanese who built the trans African Highway

" 'Heat Islands' Have City-Dwellers Swelter In A Concrete Jungle"

https://www.zerohedge.com/weather/heat-islands-have-city-dwellers-swelter-concrete-jungle

"With 130 million Americans under a heat advisory, and tens of millions more on watch for or received a warning of excessive heat by the National Weather Service, one group of people is especially at risk of the negative consequences of very high temperatures: city dwellers.

[vegetation is good, OldGzr; Protect the world's forests!]

"As Statista's Anna Fleck reports, according to a new study by NGO Climate Central, 41 million Americans in 44 major cities – the equivalent of around half of these cities’ populations - habitually see outside temperatures in their Census tracts rise by an average of more than 8° Fahrenheit above those in surrounding areas. This is due to heat intensifying in densely populated and built-up areas that lack vegetation. For 5.7 million Americans in the studied areas, temperatures where they live even exceeded non-city temperatures by more than 10° Fahrenheit on average.

"The city in the study where most people face this problem was New York, with 7.1 million people or 78 percent of inhabitants subject to these so-called heat islands. New York was also the city where the most people have to endure heat islands with average temperature increases of more than 10° F – 3.8 million – or even more than 12° F, which affect 48,000 New Yorkers."

upload_2023-7-30_20-26-58.png

Africa and Japanese intent (actual intent)

https://criticalurbanisms.philhist....e-trans-african-highway/jsah_2020_79_1_61.pdf

https://cdn.un.org/unyearbook/yun/chapter_pdf/1977YUN/1977_P1_SEC2_CH17.pdf

Chinese exploitation of Africa

https://thediplomat.com/2017/06/why...represent-a-brand-new-type-of-neocolonialism/

------------

Seems that trees around the planet are breathing easier due to more CO2. The biomass of forests is increasing. We MUST stop deforestation! Where I live deciduous trees can be harvested and POOF the land grows back underbrush and trees within 20 to 30 years (abandoned houses & properties get grown over within a decade or two; Mother Nature is profoundly aggressive here). This is NOT true of rainforests! This is NOT true of old-growth forests.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/research/treesearch/45295

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/forests-carbon-dioxide-growing-study-b2176956.html

---------

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. arctic bill

arctic bill Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    my two cents, when i started gardening up north my area was list as 2b, then with global warning it was changed to 3b,
    now they said i could never grow tomatoes or cuke up north they said it was too cold and the season too short, well last week i started to harvest cukes , foot long zucchini , and tomates plant is as big as a polar bear,

TMT Tactical likes this.
  34. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Nations need to reduce their CO2 output levels. We must turn to nuclear energy as has been done the nation of France.

The radical left wishes us to shut-down industry right now -- before replacement energy sources such as nuclear power are online. Meanwhile China is building coal-fired electric generating facilities hand-over-fist.

So, maybe we should invade China and make them stop this? Me, I'm not joining-up in that invasion. Maybe we'll be in a nuclear war with them soon enough anyway.

Were we to begin pumping sulfur up into the atmosphere, that would radically bring down atmospheric temperatures by blocking solar radiation. Currently we are doing everything in our power to keep sulfur OUT of the atmosphere. "Scrubbers" are placed in huge chimneys to lower soot and chemicals. We could stop this scrubbing to get more sulfur up there.

And the Earth changes on its own.

[​IMG]

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. Max rigger

Max rigger Master Survivalist
      415/460

Blog Posts:
    Bit of a break in this Spanish heatwave, its been 42c/110f which is uncomfortable weather to walk around in down to the low thirties, at the moment its 33c/90f which is fine but night temps don't get below @ 28c/82f.

The drought continues with irrigation water in some areas cut by 80% so there will be a shortage in UK supermarkets of tomatoes/lettuce/peppers/melons et al.

Catalonia region is where the drought is really hitting home
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...0adffa-314f-11ee-85dd-5c3c97d6acda_story.html

TMT Tactical likes this.
  36. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    no drought here, wet weather and plenty of it , well it keeps my water butts full up anyway.
    stupid thing is we still have a hose pipe ban here and local reservoirs are less than 60% full.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    Hottest June in the UK since records began and maybe July will be the coldest and most wet on record.

They are arresting farmers over here for digging illegal wells on their property.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    whats illegal about digging a well on their own property?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. Old Geezer

525/575

Blog Posts:
    "A strawberry and fruit war broke out between Spain and Germany."

https://europeantimes.news/2023/06/strawberry-and-fruit-war-broke-out/

"The regional government plans to legalize irrigation around Donana, despite scientists warning that the park is in critical condition with lagoons drying up and biodiversity disappearing amid a prolonged drought.

"Reducing the amount of water extracted is one of the main solutions to save the wetland, according to scientists.

"The association denied that farmers were using water from illegal wells in the national park or that huge amounts of water were being pumped out, as alleged in the petition. She added that they use cutting-edge techniques to ensure efficient use of water.

"Interfresa added that the nearest farms to Donana are 35 km away, and the majority of companies in the berry sector are 100 km or more from the area, meaning that only a small proportion of farms will use the irrigation system , which will be legalized if the law is approved.

"Strawberries are not the only ones in the spotlight. Early last month, 26 people were arrested for digging illegal wells to grow tropical fruits such as avocados and mangoes in southern Spain amid a prolonged drought. During a four-year investigation, authorities have uncovered more than 250 illegal wells, boreholes and ponds in the Axarquia region of Andalusia, which has been suffering from a drought since 2021."

TMT Tactical likes this.
  40. Max rigger

415/460

Blog Posts:
    If you draw water from a well you are in effect taking water from the water table in that catchment area, plus these wells are unlicensed.

One thing I have learned about the Spanish is they love bureaucracy and stamping documents, why accept one complete form when you can demand ten ;)

You have to apply for permission to go off grid, I filled in the forms, submitted them and six weeks later they replied saying all panels must be non-reflective. Re-submitted the amended application and it took five weeks to rubber stamp it.

Spanish regional control is very fractured, different rules for the same thing in two towns because their regional boundaries are different. Same goes for the language

"
    Which regions of Spain have their own dialect?
    "); display: inline-block; height: 24px; width: 24px; transform: rotateZ(-180deg);">

The autonomous communities have established the following official languages in their respective territories: Catalan in Catalonia and the Balearic Islands, Valencian (a variety of Catalan) in Valencia, Galician in Galicia, Basque in the Basque Country and a part of Navarre, and the Aranese language in the Aran Valley."

The Standard language is Castilian Spanish which is taught as standard in schools but so is the regional variations. If a Mexican or Cuban comes here they may struggle because the regional dialects are very distinct.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  41. Brownbear

Brownbear Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Let us be mindful that when the term "since records began" is used they only began in 1884. There were previous recordings, but the first accurate and regularly recorded measurement really began that recently (this was due to a combination of previously inaccurate equipment and no authorising body to oversee measurements).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  42. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    officials love their beaurocracy dont they?
    some wells are built where there is a spring.

Brownbear and TMT Tactical like this.