Hotels' Role In Disasters

Discussion in 'News, Current Events, and Politics' started by Pragmatist, Sep 13, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      485/575

Blog Posts:
    Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  2. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      380/460

Blog Posts:
    That still assuming the said hotel still standing after the disaster.

I'm more accustomed to natural disaster particularly earthquake, tsunami, and volcanic thus my line of thinking tend to follow such. In this case, a military command post is far more suitable than any hotel to perform such task due to the availability of communication equipment and the personal needed to performing the role. Furthermore, a military command post most likely has the space to house supplies and if necessary open ground for setting up emergency tents.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Varuna,

The article did address only those viable hotels. Diesel fuel supply arrangements mentioned.

Actually, the military frequently seek hotels for their command posts. Some hotels are built to configure what you describe; communication facilities, large grounds that can be used for tents, etc.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Morgan101

Morgan101 Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    Almost restores your faith in your fellow man to see people stepping up to help. People reaching out and helping people; as it should be.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    the opening photo says it all.
    that's the last place I want to be in a catastrophe, can you imagine all the diseases with that many people? to say nothing of the arguments and fights that with so many people in one place would bring? any disaster there will be much looting and stealing too, its already happening in the Bahamas I think. I know it happened in Katrina.

Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  6. Pragmatist

485/575

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lone Wolf,

Yes, there was lawlessness in the Bahamas during hurricane.

Of course, any type of building , from emergency shelter to hotel, used for disaster evacuees is a petri dish of diseases.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  7. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:
    LW, I think you are right. a shelter is the last place I would want to go. Disease and lawlessness would be rampant. I have heard the same horror stories about Katrina. I had also heard that once you went into the shelter it was very difficult to get out. Maybe GA can weigh in on that. She was there at the time.

I still think it is commendable for them (the hotels) to be reaching out to first responders. That is a difficult job in the best of times. Knowing you have a place to sleep; being able to set up a command post; probably a million other things we never think of; make it all easier when a hotel reaches out.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I did hear that some of the big stadiums were used in some of the American disasters, I think prior to Katrina, theft and fights were common and even some rapes I hear, the toilets blocked up with many people using them and disease was rampant.
    someone said the (armed) guards were to keep people IN not keep them OUT.
    I have no way of verifying this so it may be heresay but I doubt it.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  9. Morgan101

515/575

Blog Posts:

We must be hearing or reading the same reports. That is exactly what I had heard.

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.