Household Emergency Tips For Safety

Discussion in 'Safety' started by Pragmatist, Jan 26, 2020.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      455/460

Blog Posts:
    https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com...cle_51f9fcc5-58ca-5a7a-af4d-6d192d5f0dbb.html

Good evening all,

Per ...

Re Power Outage; Dr Radcliff, could not alternate power source for medical equipment also fail ? Those dependent folks need different and better living arrangements.

Re Heating Loss; President Jimmy Carter already taught us about this. A cardigan sweater is needed.

Re Basement Flooding; Also disinfect rubber boots, whether waterproof or not.

Re Ladders; Consider not using ladders if alone.

Apparently, looking at her attire, Dr Radcliff works in a warm health care facility. Fortunately, the heating bills in New Jersey are subsidized.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  2. Justin Baker

Justin Baker Expert Member
      160/173

Blog Posts:
    VAWT VAWT VAWT! My vote will always go to a good VAWT setup w/ a reliable, marine grade battery bank.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Pragmatist

455/460

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Justin,

The usual headache with power-required medical equipment eg O2, dialysis stuff, is the maintenance requirement.

The sick and infirm cannot work blade pitch and hurricanes. Mother Nature wins.

The chronic sick and infirm must have living arrangements with a paid skilled-labor force or the Medicare money is just donated to Mother Nature.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  4. Justin Baker

160/173

Blog Posts:
    Or someone in trade? Depending on the situation, the sick and infirm, setting themselves up now, for then,... in either a co-inhabitable situation, or with a group dynamic. Everyone has something to give and take, even the sick and infirm, even if it is just knowledge, property, or entertainment.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Pragmatist

455/460

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Justin,

You touched on the REAL problem throughout the US - well beyond the disabled needing attendants.

It's difficult to trade labor because of the political restrictions.

The cartels and the labor unions get the restrictive laws passed with funded enforcement mechanisms.

President Bill Clinton's first nominee for Attorney General was Zoe Baird. She had to withdraw her nomination acceptance when the public learned she did not pay taxes on 2 house workers.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  6. Snyper

Snyper Master Survivalist
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    They could, but not having alternate back-up is an immediate fail.

7. Pragmatist

455/460

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Snyper,

Yet the alternate back-up, like VAWT, is not free.

Planning really does require those relying on medical apparatus to live in a group setting.

If the hurricane sends a telephone pole into a house wall at 75 MPH, both the primary and alternate system are sacrificed to Mother Nature.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  8. Justin Baker

160/173

Blog Posts:
    Bartering with your immediate community is the first step, in my opinion. In a SHTF situation, naturally those established trade routes will be quintessential to survival. Not everyone knows how to fix equipment, but not everyone knows animal husbandry either. Just two labor examples of a trade that has happened up here in my neck of the woods between a neighbor off to the south and one across the river from me. Quite good trades - solar panel system work for half a cow. Both parties are happy with the results and now they are always at each other's BBQs....

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Pragmatist

455/460

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Justin,

True, I do the same here.

Yet, the national perspective is really different. The disabled on medical apparatus are the opposite of the Prepper community.

When a person, a pet, livestock, dies during a disaster, a burial is required for the disease control. Having the nursing homes/old age homes in Hurricane Alley, Tornado Alley, the other routine danger zones, magnifies the regional and national disaster. This follows through to the recovery efforts. Everything is fatigued even before the place loses electric traffic lights.

Could the US quarantine a city of ~ 11 million ? Even today, in decent winter weather conditions, the US is short in mortuary trailers, medical clinics, everything in the mass medical response arena. Even professional health personnel eg Paramedics, dentists, can provide no help if the roads are closed. Add to shortage along with mortuary trailers: road maintenance vehicles.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. Justin Baker

160/173

Blog Posts:
    I agree, and on that level I would say it is up to the individual to reach towards a grassroots approach to preparedness...
    good point, and I appreciate your insights....
    again, if there are smaller, more localized and grassroots systems in place, the people able to give care that are farther away would turn to their right and left and give care there. If I need something I cannot get to survive then I am going to adapt to survive without it if at all possible - or - alternatively, I will not survive...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    barter again, really?
    post SHTF life will be:
    part self sufficiency,
    part self reliance, (reliance on one's own powers and resources rather than those of others),
    part subsistence food production,
    no outside help. no state aid or welfare,
    if you cant make it, grow it, or forage for it,
    then you wont have it.
    the survival rate post SHTF is liable to be quite low, especially in 1st nations where the reliance is on technology rather than skills or knowledge, any survivors will be scattered far and wide.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Pragmatist

455/460

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Lonewolf,

The web is a poor quality vehicle to discuss matters like in a hotel conference room or at a forest retreat.

We are using different definitions for terms.

My "community" is really my extended "family". Madam and I have 10 others who we know well and are members of our group. We know they are all immunized against diseases. I and the others know for SHTF, all will not be present here thus reducing the number from 10.

ANY contact with bona fide "outsiders" is the real danger. It's less about dealing with violent people or the deranged. It's about vectors transmitting disease. The type of disease has little relevance. Whatever one is set up to address governs the situation. Preppers do not stock microscopes because they are useless except at labs and here, especially, medical clinics (forget hospitals !) will exist only for critical personnel like LEO and the politically connected.

In my area, even in these times, once the warm weather returns so too the mosquitoes.

TMT Tactical and Justin Baker like this.
  13. Justin Baker

160/173

Blog Posts:
    pre-post SHTF bartering with immediate and extended family - If they are within walking distance, then after SHTF they are not far and wide. You will indubitably have to deal with them in some way, shape, or form. Why not set the precedent before-hand.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about where you live but here the survival rate will be low and mostly confined to rural areas, low population areas like mine will be even lower still post SHTF.

Justin Baker and TMT Tactical like this.