How and where to carry your pistol

Discussion in 'Guns, Knives, Tools, Etc.' started by Tom Williams, Jun 3, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    The pistol is awesome weapon where to carry your pistol on you on your belt or in a under the. Under arm rig why to make it easy to reach if you have your pistol strapped to your ankle its a fumble and reach to get to it if its in your bag its weight and useless ladies carry yours in your hand pocket of your coat why slide your hand in its there sometimes just level point and shoot without even removeing it from the pocket you can get a coat but have only one life.

2. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    I found the pistol to be next to useless in a real survival situation!
    Oh today when you have had a good sleep a good coffee and maybe bacon and eggs, it is wonderful you get surprised you have your drills etc etc and poke nice little groups in your target.

Survival is a little different, you might not have slepf for a few days or eaten or washed! you will have a cold/flu/hayfever etc! and serious people with serious guns want to put holes in you!
    Under those conditions very very few people can get decent hits let alone in a good place with a pistol I know I and a few others tried!
    For surviving the Apocalypse there is nothing like a short sawn off shotty to get hits on target!
    After three days with little sleep the flu and a spew machine for a stomach I used both a beratta 92 pistol and a sawn off shotty to hit targets from 50m into 5m
    Standard man target!
    At 50m with 5 shots I got a single round on paper but only just with the 9mm pistol
    with the 12g first round with O buck gave 2 pellets in the x's with 14 for all five shots!
    I did not hit paper with the 9mm until 15m but the 12g was more than a few hits with each round!

At 5m I got 3 out of five on paper but only one x with the 9mm! the 12g were just raggedy holes on target and all x's

The 12g was a clear winner under not so ideal conditions!

If you carry a pistol during the Apocalypse it should be just a backup so strong side back of waist in a holster you like!
    I carry a 12g shottie rather short (not short yet staying strictly legal ) on a one point shoulder sling strong side!
    I can make a hit in any conditions out to 40m first shot!
    Under normal conditions I could rapid 5rds into 6in at 50m with the 9mm or .357m
    But normal is normal and the Apocalypse whatever it is is NOT normal!
    I advise against a pistol for surviving the Apocalypse
    Concealed carry with permit now great! you would have slept and been fed and watered!

3. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    A pistol is a great weapon easy to carry easy to hide when long guns are hard to use ie in your hime or car a pistol will save your life quickly and well arkene you a bit of a idiot to much happy smoke or drunk i guess i see your chances of makeing it at about 15%

4. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    Why thank you Tom! your remarks are noted.
    I am talking end of the world stuff here not everyday life in a cesspit!
    Handguns are cool and I luv them but they have there limitations!

Not legal to "carry" here in Aus its just not needed!
    For a long time I thought pistols were the bees knees for survival
    I competed in all the macho action pistol events and collecting a wall full of trophies and more!
    but under extreme duress my pistol accuracy was not up to it.
    But my shotgun accuracy was!
    I did my testing I got my results! Come the Apocalypse I will take the shotgun over a pistol everytime!

I have made it through 15 close encounters with the grim reaper already I reckon I got a few more in me before old age gets me!:D

ps I neither drink or smoke! and I find your references to that effect offensive! maybe it is something you do a lot of!
    In my previous line of work I have been attacked literally thousands of times by many different things some human some not!
    I was the only one in my job to last past five years bit after 14 and a bit years I bowed out due to health problems!
    I know getting attacked ok!

5. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree, on your hip or a shoulder holster are good. I used to strap on a gun with my pants every morning for many years. Now though I carry my pistol under my belt on the right side, my hunting knife under the belt on the left side, & my tomahawk under the belt at my back.
    Keith.

6. ally79

ally79 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    I carry daily in a concealed carry waistband holster. I personally prefer to carry on my right side just a little bit behind my hip bone, and I wear a shirt or tank that covers it nicely. I invested in a quality holster so even in a thin shirt it is unnoticeable to most people. I have a 12 gauge too for home protection but it is not overly practical to carry when I am out and about. There may or may not be one that lives in my trunk however. ;)

7. CivilDefense

CivilDefense Expert Member
      235/345

Blog Posts:
    It depends on where I am and in what attire I am wearing. If I am wearing a sportcoat or suit jacket, I carry a 5-shot snub-nose revolver (Taurus 605) in an inside the waistband holster or a small automatic (Kel-Tec P32) in the inside pocket. If a tux, I'm pretty much stuck with a small auto. If wearing my pea coat, one of those items in the front pocket. I have, on rare occasions, carried in an ankle holster, but I've yet to use one that wasn't a complete PITA. On my own property, I can, and do, carry openly. It is normally a full-sized .357 Magnum revolver or a .45 ACP M1911A1 automatic in a holster on my belt.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  8. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    All great choices the point is to have it where its easy to reach when needed i carry a 38 derrenger on me at all times most times in a slash pocket off jacket so hand in pocket its pointed at your chest as you approuch i can get a new coat or sew up the one

9. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    If you don't mind me asking, what make/model of derringer do you pack? I carried a couple (.22 WMR and .38 Special) back in the day, but sold them off. Thanks.

10. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
    My 38 is a davis

11. CivilDefense

235/345

Blog Posts:
    Davis had a great warrantee back in the day. IIRC, they were sold to Cobra in Utah.

12. Tom Williams

330/345

Blog Posts:
  13. Para173

Para173 Well-Known Member
      95/99

Blog Posts:
    Over the years I've found that about 99% of my situations I could get by with a good handgun. I generally carried my handgun on my right side because I am right handed. Later on, as I became more involved in tactical operations for a local police agency and a military group, I discovered that having two or more handguns was a pretty smart move. In tactical slang having two or more handguns is called, "A New York reload." A New York or New Jersey reload is when you go for a back-up handgun when your primary handgun malfunctions or needs to be reloaded. This is also where the saying, "Two is one and one is none." comes from. A broken handgun doesn't do the user any good so some people carry two, or more, just in case of a malfunction.

14. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    For concealed carry I carry it in the small of my back with the but to my left. I'm ambidextrous. For general carry in the open I carry cross draw on my left hip in a custom holster. LOL, I sweat too dang much in the Texas heat to carry much of anything under my arm!

A hand gun is a tool. Survival means to live longer. In some places like a mall, a handgun is about the best you can do. Even in Texas carrying a pistol gripped combat shotgun is considered a bit rude and excessive in most stores. If you have nothing and someone makes a run at you in the store or in the parking lot you are pretty well done. It is just a matter of time before the terrorists start coming to middle america and the malls.

Now, if it was the apocalypse and I could only have one gun a handgun would not be in my first 10 choices of firearms. I like shotguns but it would be real sad to have someone stand off about 150 yards and shoot me with a rifle when all I had was a shotgun. One gun???? Probably a 30 cal Battle Rifle.

I like derringers. I used to carry a 38 over and under all the time. The top was snake shot and the bottom was a slug. If you ever work under old houses and have me a snake face to face while on your belly you know why the shot round came first. Now I have a NAA mini in 22lr and the first two in it are shot as well. Besides being great snake deterrent I suspect that getting shot in the face would sort of suck a lot and be hard of the eyes. I know that at 6' a 16 oz beer can is just covered with holes. Again it isn't my first choice for survival in most situations but it works for some real well. I wade fish a lot and that little pistol rides in my shirt pocket. I've even had it in the band of my boonie hat a few times.

The best gun in the world when something BAD is going on around you is whatever the heck you HAVE with you right then. Handguns even tiny handguns are better than nothing and are just soooooo easy to have with you. Try carrying a Glock in your elastic band shorts when you are working in the yard.

15. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    this reminds me of one of my favorite Actress Monica Spear who got killed with her husband in attack when she was in vacation!! Whenever I watch the video trailler of that event I put myself in her place And think about hundreds of things I could do to survive,
    However The point of carrying a weapon is to put it somewhere easy and quick to access, that would be on body while walking and Don't forget to hide it, But for drivers To carry it on self it may be uncomfortable which is why I suggest to use seat holsters to carry your guns while driving :)

16. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I carry out side the pants full size I just make sure what I wear cover it up when I buy shirt's I always have this in mind

17. texsun54

texsun54 Member
      23/29

Blog Posts:
    Where I live you can conceal or open carry. I prefer when in public settings to conceal, so I will use inside waist band in a holster at 4 O'clock position. It gets hot here in summer so I also pocket carry in the summer time a lot. If I am out hiking trails I will use a shoulder rig. I have different gun for each type of carry.

18. Okaviator

Okaviator Member
      13/29

Blog Posts:
    I preferrebly carry my pistol in my holster. Purely because I don't want to have to pistol go off if I have it strapped on with a shoulder strap. Just my two cents on what the safest way to wear a pistol is.