How Do You Deal With Panic

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by Deathisue, Jul 19, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    In many situations I have seen that when everything starts to go wrong or situations of risk arise that can determine that we live or die people usually give it into the panic to sabotage thus unconsciously, from there I have wondered if will be exist ways to cope with that response to the danger? And which ones will they be?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Master Survivalist
      277/345

Blog Posts:
    Panic is a natural reaction of ordinary mortals. There is a kind of training that can make you avoid panicking. One example is the earthquake drill that gives you a simulated experience. The cut off of electricity, no phone signals, sounds of sirens, can give an atmosphere of disaster and calamity. Experiencing the simulation many times will make you get used to it such that when the real thing comes, you will not resort to panic.

Ystranc and Deathisue like this.
  3. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I see, it is a very natural response but it is very annoying, I have seen people lose control for that, but I see that there are such species of simulacrum.

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Yes, like @Corzhens wrote, it is a natural response but that said, it can be controlled especially if we know what panic actually is.

When for whatever reason the primitive part of our brain is stimulated by something that may harm us, it starts a domino type affect throughout our entire body in order to prepare us for the fight or flight response.
    We get a shot of adrenaline and because of that the heart beats faster and we breath heavier in order to pump more oxygen into our muscles.
    In some cases, people have been known to hyperventilate because the O2/Co2 ratio levels in their brain are too far above normal and if left unchecked a person can actually pass out, but that another issue for another time.

Okay, what do we do about it. STOP! Take a couple of slow deep breaths. The problem with the left side of the brain during a heavy adrenaline spike is that when the primitive reflexes are allowed to take over there isn't a whole lot of reasoning going on coming from the right side. By balancing the O2 levels through slow deep breathing we become a bit calmer which allows the right side of our brain to be "heard" so to speak.

Now that the reasoning part of our brain has kicked in, we can better analyze the situation and determine what, if anything, we have to do to protect ourselves. I wrote, if anything, because throughout life there are some false alarms but as a calmer thinking person it's much easier to ascertain the validity of the alarm and what to do afterwards.
    Note: Whether self taught or in a class, ALL experienced combat military personnel learn how to breath. It saves lives.

All this " breathing" and "reasoning" thing sounds like it could take some time to do but with some practice everything takes only a few seconds and you're good to go.

Ystranc likes this.
  5. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Then the trick is to breathe well to stay calm and to be able to think clearly, it is hard to fight against those primitive answers but it is necessary and more in these cases, thank you for your advices.

6. greymanila

greymanila Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    How can you avoid panic? Foresight and practice.

Like if you fear an encounter with an armed criminal, practice with your firearm,. If you're concerned about fire, do escape drills in your house. If your concerned about medical emergencies, pracitce first aid.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    never been in a situation where I've had to panic. preparation and planning always wins the day.

8. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    Bobby Cole just about covered it, panic is a malfunction of our fight or flight reflex where the basic response to attack or run away is stymied by other influences. Panic is dangerous because we're more likely to make irrational decisions and mistakes.
    Take a moment, it will pass, it's just the effect of natural chemicals flooding into your brain, you can cope with it.

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!!!:rolleyes:

GS AutoTech likes this.
  10. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    Lonewolf, I love the Five P's...

Panic is a natural response to stress overload. Some are more susceptible than others. It can overcome with training & experience.

Ystranc likes this.
  11. LilSoldierGirl

LilSoldierGirl Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    Training overcomes panic

Ystranc likes this.
  12. Bishop

Bishop Master Survivalist
      335/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't panic and I have been in many tight spots where it would have been totally understand to do so

lonewolf likes this.
  13. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    To me panic is what happens when you don't know what to do. That is why I spend a lot of time doing the "What if???" Forethought will allow action and action with hold panic at bay.