How Do You Feel About Teotwawki?

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by TexDanm, Nov 28, 2018.

0/5, 0 votes

1. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking about this the other day and realized that to some extent I actually hope that I live to see this happen. I wish that I was younger but nonetheless would prefer it to happen while I am still here. I don't fear it at all but then I have no fear of death and discomfort really is something that I lived with for most of my life. I actually am in less pain right now that I was for the majority of my adult years.

I think that in some ways I see the current culture as so sick that it just can't survive long term. If the US and most of the European nations continue down this road eventually we ate going to be too weak to resist the forces of evil for lack of a better term and are going to be taken over. The liberals will surrender without a fight as the French did in WW2 and as Neville Chamberlain would have had Britain do with his Peace in our time stupidity. Even in the US the isolationists kept us out of the war for almost too long and this led the Japanese to believe that we were weak and wouldn't fight back if they slapped us down.

We are going to crumble if we don't change and I don't see us changing. If we allow the liberals to bring in hundreds of thousands of uneducated illiterate people that will only get on welfare and vote for cake and circuses we will die a slow and miserable death. These people and the liberals won't fight for their freedom. They come here rather than try to make their home countries be better. In the end when they get here they mostly try to rebuild the same ghetto hopeless culture that they ran from.

I se TEOTWAWKI as just about the last hope for humanity at this time. If we all go down maybe the duds will die out and the next time we will do better. The way we are going it is just a matter of time before the entire world will be ruled by some form of Stalinist dictatorship. Russia and China are alive and growing more powerful while the west is being taken over by the wimps and their endless refugee cattle.

How do you feel? Do you worry about things going to pieces? Do you fear the fall? Are you bored and don't feel connected to our current culture? Am I a NUT and delusional about what TEOTWAWKI would mean and be like?

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  2. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    this is one of the events that I prepare for, I have been derided for it many times on several prepper forums, but I continue to do so.
    I don't fear the fall, given all that is going on in the world today, manmade and natural, I feel it is inevitable. I certainly don't feel connected to modern culture or thinking.
    I think a reset of society is well overdue.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    You & I mostly think alike Tex, & again here I totally agree & feel the same way. The apathy in Australia will be our downfall, I I can't wait for it to happen. I don't think we will ever shake off this totally corrupt to the core government we have unless we have a major TEOTWAWKI situation. Our government system is different to yours, we have just two major parties, Liberals & labor, both are as corrupt as the other.
    I started a petition, two actually, one was gun control based, & I knew from the start that I would never get enough signatures to get it tabled. But the second one is about us having a legal right to armed self defence. This is not about people being able to carry guns in public, it is about being legally able to carry pepper spray or a taser, & people that already own guns being able to defend themselves & their families in an armed home invasion. I think this has about 100 signatures, if this was in America or Europe it would have thousands of signatures!
    This is what the majority of Australians are like, they bury their heads in the sand & vote for this corrupt government year after year.
    I agree that the scum will go down in a shtf situation, because finally there will be no corrupt government to protect them. Right now we have two choices, victim or criminal. We can either let intruders kill us or we can kill them. If we kill them it means a prison sentence & no chance of ever getting our guns back.
    TEOTWAWKI needs to happen! We need a chance at a clean slate. Unfortunately the only threat that I see as a sure thing right now is Global Warming. Part of Australia is in a drought, part in a heat wave that is killing wildlife, & Sydney City in NSW is at present flooded!!! I often wonder if this gets bad enough whether or not Australians will wake up & pull their heads out of the sand, but frankly I don't think it will. School students over here are going on strike for Climate Change, & our Prime Minister is berating them in the press telling them they need to get on with their education & forget about climate change. I wish the majority of Australian adults had the guts that these students have.
    Keith.

4. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      360/460

Blog Posts:
    While I don't look forward to The End Of The World As We Know It I've been expecting it for some years but let's get one thing strait. There is a caveat in that phrase, "as we know it" is a pretty big part of the deal.
    I learn something new each day and things are already changing on a social and technological level far faster then I care to try and keep up with, TEOTWAWKI happens every day, most of the time we don't even notice it. As an example, big corporations have been pumping toxic shit into our environments for decades, cancer, kidney disease, liver failure caused by chemical compounds created for profit, sold to us as products that we didn't know we needed until the marketing people told us. They had to go back to blood samples frozen just after the war to find a clean blood sample clear of contamination from a fluorine based compound used in Teflon it is ubiquitous in our blood, air, water, and food chain. It is toxic in tiny concentrations.
    The world as we know it has already changed and will continue to do so right under our noses. The question is, will you notice in time to protect yourself from the big paradigm shift. It isn't necessarily the collapse of society that you need to watch out for.

5. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I agree, but that isn't TEOTWAWKI that's just the crap we have to put up with in the modern age, mostly by big business chasing the next big buck, at the expense of the consumer, it hasn't necessarily got anything to do with societal collapse.

6. Ystranc

360/460

Blog Posts:
    The world that my father and grandfather knew, the environment, technologies and ethics that they knew have changed, in effect ended. Change is going on constantly but hopefully as a society or species we can adapt in pace with this change. The problem comes when change is too fast or too extreme to be considered the new normal. Often described as paradigm shift.

7. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    probably the same world I grew up in, technology has moved on at a fast pace, not necessarily to my liking.
    on top of that attitudes and behaviour have changed too and not for the better.
    rules that used to be normal are now ignored and in some cases trampled upon.

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    A couple of thoughts. I buy home insurance, auto insurance, yet hope I don't need it.

I prep for bad times. However, this I KNOW is coming. Haven't a clue when. If I die, my preps pass to my family for their protection. Interesting that in these days pre-SHTF, I've had to use these preps and then re-stock. Once, some piece of sh## tried to get into my house. Glad I had a loaded shotgun on the ready.

One cannot go around being paranoid. One puts their concerns in their place. I use dental floss. I practice mental floss -- mental hygiene is very important. Clean your thoughts every day. It improves your spiritual breath.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    Those of us who know this are in a minority, or at least those of us who would be prepared to something about this are in a minority. Our problem is getting a majority to back us to make the change, & this is not going to happen.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  10. poltiregist

poltiregist Master Survivalist
      347/460

Blog Posts:
    Pardon my ignorance , but what does TEOTWAWKI stand for ? IS this an after apocalypt9ic government ?

TMT Tactical and Keith H. like this.
  11. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    The End Of The World As We Know It.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    The world that my father was raised in was very little different from the world that his GREAT GREAT GREAT Grandfather had lived in. The basic social structure was almost exactly the same for centuries. The technological changes were slow and easily understood by nearly every one. The animal powered farming slowly was replaced at first in the big things by steam power that ran the mills and gins then slowly internal combustion engines began to move in. It wasn't until after WW2 that the tractors fully replaced the animal powered equipment. That was because at the end of the war they had a huge inventory of large motors and had to find something to do with them and the price became something regular people could afford.

People had time to adjust and adapt. We knew where our food came from and people in each home cooked the food each day from very basic elements. Most people preWW2 lived in rural areas and were connected to the rural pursuits of growing food and fiber plants. Even the people in the little towns were there most/y to provide the things that the farmers needed to do their work. There was a little town every 25 or 30 miles that had stores, butchers, an Ice house, a doctor and a cotton gin of grain silos and dryers or mills.

Starting in the 1950s things started changing. They did it FAST and in every level of our society and culture. People left the rural places and went to the cities. They left behind the big extended families that had always been a part of our culture. Medicine suddenly made almost every one of the big people killers a thing of the past. Birth control made it so that smart people didn't have to have more kids than they could support and so the standard of living flew up. Women no longer were saddled with a life of endless child raising and could if they desired actually have a career.

The world shrank as the trains and great ships were replaced by individually operated cars trucks and huge airplanes made ship and train travel just too slow. We built bridges and interstate highways EVERYWHERE. We even went to the moon. The telephone which was a wonderful convince has become like our life support system!

My Dad's GREAT GREAT could have been transported in time from 1800 to 1900 and gotten along just fine. His grandfather shipped from 1900 to 2000 would be LOST. I'm not sure that my Dad would know what to do with what I'm seeing on the horizon of the world my Grandchildren will live in if things don't slow down.

All of the most basic tenets of our culture are falling apart. Monogamy doesn't work when both parents work and NOBODY raises the kids and indoctrinates them with the rules and tenets of our culture. Storing kids in daycare isn't the same as raising them! Churches and Lodges used to play a big part in our culture. It is where we polished up our moral beliefs and defined to ourselves what a "good" person was. Now days a lot of the churches are instead showing us what is not good and they still want our money. It isn't just the Catholic Church that is being rocked by the actions of their leadership.

TEOTWAWKI is already happening. The future is a blur that doesn't have a lot of good in it that I can see. Liberalism is GOING to take over. Like a bunch of dummies we have allowed the liberals to take over the raising of our children. The schools are little more than indoctrination centers and we have let them have their way with the minds of our future. What I see in a lot of kids these days is truthfully frightening as hell;

We are the LAST generation in the first world countries that could survive a world shattering event. When the liberals fully take over they will flood our nations with the mindless rifraf of the world and then happily fiddle in glee as it all collapses leaving them with total power. A country just can't operate with nothing but lazy illiterate refugees running things and that is what you will have if they keep pulling in more and more losers from every crap hole country in the world.

I, sadly, see a catastrophic collapse as the last hope for western civilization. Without it we will still fall but the fall will be into slavery to whatever place got rid of their losers and then was strong enough to put together a real military. Right now I see it as a toss-up between whether we will be ruled by Russia or China.

The Islamic problem actually isn't a real problem. I could fix it in a matter of weeks. All we have to do is get our noses out of their business. Pull out our troops and let it be known that we are done being the worlds candy-assed police. The only time that Islam has ever been a problem is when fools go down into THEIR lands and try to make them act like Christians. If we get out they will go back to happily killing each other and be too busy to mess with us. We need to trade then weapons for oil and let them be happy. The same goes for Korea. Let them settle their own problems.

My best case scenario would involve the Western nations letting the rest of the world kill each other with the west only getting slightly blown up because they were mostly fighting each other. Then when the bombs stop falling we get a start over with most of the lazy, stupid and criminal people dead and gone.

13. poltiregist

347/460

Blog Posts:
    TexDam I agree with 90 percent of what you say , but disagree on the Islamic problem As for as I know the attack on the twin towers was unprovoked , up to that time we didn't know the Islamic community hated successfully functioning countries . The radical Islamic folks what they say they are mad about is they don't like western culture . This isn't really truthful , what they really hate is cultural success . I don't think if we be nice to them they will be nice to us .I don't read Islamic writing , but have been told in their Koran it states it is fine to rape A white girl if she is over 'I believe 6 years old ' Slavery just fine also . People like that I have no problem blowing away . Tex I know you weren 't implying these were good people but to try to leave them alone thinking they will leave other nations alone , I don't think will work .

14. poltiregist

347/460

Blog Posts:
    I certainly am not hoping for anyone to die in an apocalyptic disaster , but frankly I think I would enjoy 90 to 95 percent of the people gone . I just don't like to be around people much . It took many years for nations to develop into their present state , some countries obviously did a better job developing than others . In TEOTWAWKI it would be a blend of modern knowledge and 1800 survival skills with the biggest emphases being in the old survival techniques .

15. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think we could lose a lot of the population quite happily, there is a lot of "flotsam and jetsam" in society which we could well do without, the Islam problem is only a problem for a few radicalised and stupid individuals - at least in the UK it is- most Moslems in this country aren't any kind of a threat but if we keep provoking them they will, trouble is that problem started with the crusades a 1000 years ago so it wont be fixed that easily.

TMT Tactical and Ystranc like this.
  16. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Hell I don't know if I agree with 90% of what I say a week later!! The issues between the Islamic Middle-East and the European and Western Christian nations is long and bitter and goes all the way back to the many times we gathered up and went down there and killed a bunch of them in the name of the Christian god and called it crusades. It was genocide! The US backed the Shah of Iran and has been a stout ally of Israel. We also have played with their politics to make sure we got the best prices on oil.

When Jimmy Carter started turning against those allies they were replaced by people that hated us for the things that those people had done. The US has always been a schizophrenic friend to those people at the best of times. Every time we bring in a new president they have to deal with a new situation and all the agreements made by the previous one get tossed out. We have done them about like we did to the Native Americans with endless broken promises that we call treaties. I'm a very Pro-American believer but I also am not blind to the reality of what we are to other people and countries.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  17. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      477/575

Blog Posts:
    TEOTWAWKI, is something I rally don't want to rush. Di I think we can turn our country around, NOPE. The Liberals and Globalist will Kill President Trump or his successor, before they will let that happen. I hope to buy about 20 more years to have everything in place for my kids and grand kids. I have a good simple life, but the income is limited and the cost of what needs o be done is not cheap. I have the land, but will have to wait until the wife passes to move to it. It is isolated and she does not want to give up modern comforts. she has paid her dues, so she deserves to live out her years as she wants. I have most of the design and engineering completed, I will just move an RV on site and start the construction, once that time comes. Since I don't want her to pass any time soon, I am hoping for about 20 years more.

The decline of a country is a long slow process (Gradual SHTF event) and I hope to have everything ready for my families next generation to take over. My oldest son knows of my plans and is in tune with them. So just keeping my fingers crossed. I will not miss all the P.C. snow Flake and will get some satisfaction laughing at their discomfort when their house of cards comes crumbling down.

Morgan101, Ystranc and poltiregist like this.
  18. poltiregist

347/460

Blog Posts:

19. poltiregist

347/460

Blog Posts:
    I agree with the concept of prepping for your descendants . Us older folks usually have more resources than younger folks just starting out on their journey through life . My prepping is done with mostly my descendants in mind , not myself . That's why I bought five crosscut saws not just one . I nearly always buy with our entire group in mind . I had a neighbor bring me some nice flint rock last week for my fire starting . I have accumulated so much prepping stuff there is no way I can hide it ,

20. Ystranc

360/460

Blog Posts:
    Preparing the way to help your offspring is a big part of species survival.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  21. TMT Tactical

477/575

Blog Posts:
    I have designed the BOL with the "Retirement Facility" concept for each generation. The Facility will be built and completed by me. My oldest son will move in and take over from me, when he retires. As each generation retires or decides they want to move in, they can. The concept is it will be there during any time of need but always under the care of family. It will be self sufficient but not structured like the tradition farm. It has to feed one family and be operated by one family but expandable to accommodate several generations, if needed. That has all been factored in and hopefully will function as planned.

Ystranc and Old Geezer like this.
  22. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    STRUGGLE --- A PREPARATION FOR WHAT IS YET TO COME !!!!

Life is a constant struggle.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  23. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Same parts of life seem to be a struggle. A lot of times though the struggle is us unnecessarily resisting the inevitable. The prayer of serenity has been important to my family and me.

God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference.

It is hard to accept some things but it is also foolish to waste your energy struggling against something that you can't change. Instead of struggling when you get slapped in the face with something that you can't beat try to find a way to either adapt to it or avoid it. A good example is getting older. It SUCKS!!!! There are no good ways around it. I can't do a lot of things that I used to greatly enjoy.I can fight it and struggle to still do them and be miserable. I can just give them up and be miserable or I can find a way around my limitations.

A example is my love of fishing. I spent most of my life with fishing as my escape from the normal struggles of life. When I was on the water I left all that behind. My hip basically just wore out and all of a sudden walking or standing for long times was just not possible. I had sciatica so bad that I would sometimes go blind. Yes, blinding pain is real. I just couldn't stand up to fish or walk to a fishing spot and stand there fishing.

For a little while I just gave it up. I wasn't happy and finally I decided to find a way around this. I switched the type of fish that I was targeting from fish that primarily required using lures and lots of casting. I switched to fish that you would cast out a bait and relax and wait. I taught my wife how to back up the boat to launch and land it. I would have t use a ladder to get in the boat so I got in at home. She would drive me to the river back me in and then go home. When I got ready to come in she would come back, get me and bring me home still in the boat. It was GREAT and I was back in business. I even got into tournament fishing again. I did this until I finally got my hip replaced.

I have now had both hips replaced but time is without mercy. I will accept that some things will be harder to do and some things I just won't b able to do as I do now but I look forward to the challenges confident that I will find a way to be happy and at peace.

Improvise, adapt and overcome!

TMT Tactical likes this.
  24. coffee

coffee Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    The struggle sentence was on a wood piece hanging from a mailbox. It is the suggestion that the struggles in our lives are good for us, and we must go thru them....to teach us to be and get prepared for the real, REAL, struggles that are coming our way, otherwise we will not be able to withstand TEOTWAWKI.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  25. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I understand. I have just seen so many people struggle and struggle until they be came hopeless and were crushed by their struggles. For people that have fallen into that hole the only way that they can get out of it is to change their direction and work around the unbeatable problem. If they can't be helped to accept and change what they are doing they get crushed and nobody benefits from that.

You know the old saying that any thing that doesn't kill you only makes you stronger? I try to help those that it is going to kill. You are right though struggle makes you stronger and better prepared for the next struggle. I have known too many though that it killed. Young beautiful people that had so much to look forward too that let some small unbeatable problem grind them down until they had no hope.

Suicide in America is at epidemic proportions. 45,000 Americans die every year by their own hand. World wide someone kill themselves every 40 second 24/7/365! Nobody wants to talk about it and they pretend it doesn't affect them...until someone near them suddenly falls...

This is a semicolon ( ; ) it means that even though a sentence has paused, it isn't done yet. It has become the symbol for people that want to remember those that they have lost and those yet to be lost. I am going to have it tattooed on my right hand this year with a red broken heart as the dot over the black colon...

TMT Tactical likes this.
  26. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    TEOTWAWKI can come any time it likes as far as I am concerned, there are far too many people on this planet, they reckon the UK will run out of clean water within 25 years because of the increasing population, so thats too many people if that happens.
    most don't have too many brain cells, and plenty have their hands out for anything they can get without working for it.
    something needs to happen that's for sure and a reduction in the human population would give the planet some breathing space.

TMT Tactical and poltiregist like this.
  27. poltiregist

347/460

Blog Posts:
    As a friend of mine likes to say " I was born at the wrong time " . He is talking about he would liked to have been born 100 years earlier . It seems some on here feel the same way . I would have been more comfortable 200 years ago . TEOTWAWKI would be a fun time for me . I don't think my group would have that much problem coping , if we were cast into it tomorrow . One of several reasons that I moved to my present location , and all of my kids and grandkids followed me , is this place is like going back in time about 50 years .

28. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    they say Rural France is like Britain was 50 years ago.

29. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      455/460

Blog Posts:
    How Do You Feel About TEOTWAWKI? I guess my gut reaction is not very good. Depending on the cataclysmic event that causes it, I don't see anything good being the result. Almost certainly there would be a massive die-off with the elderly and the infirm the first to go. For me personally, I would lose two very close family members early on; both of which require maintenance medication to live. How far back in time will we go? How many industries and technologies are interconnected, where you can't have one without the other? How many of these will be completely lost? How many will be lost forever with no hope of them ever coming back?

We will be, for the most part. a world without the rule of law with every warring faction trying to gain power. Dealing with that on a local level will be difficult enough; gangs, organized crime, drug cartels, local politicians. Factor in invading forces, and the world turns pretty ugly. If the catastrophe happened in the United States you don't think that the Russians and the Chinese wouldn't jump at the chance to drive a stake through our heart?

For me I will prepare for the worst, but I hope TEOTWAWKI never happens.

30. Morgan101

455/460

Blog Posts:

I agree. I have always thought I was born 100 years to late. I feel a kindred spirit to life in the Old Western United States. That is where I feel I belong.

31. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    if TEOTWAWKI happens then the mortality rate will be huge, most people wont be able to survive without their modern conveniences so I wouldn't worry too much about "warring factions".

32. Morgan101

455/460

Blog Posts:
    lonewolf: I agree the mortality rate will be staggering, but IMHO there will always be warring factions. Somebody is going to want to take over. Somebody is going to want to be in charge, and have power over everybody else. Maybe it is the existing power structure that doesn't want to give up control. Maybe it is the criminal element that can rob, steal, rape, and pillage with impunity. Maybe it is the law abiding citizens who want to live safely, and try to maintain some semblance of civilization. There will be many factions all vying to be at the top of the food chain.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  33. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    it depends on what the survival rate is and where the survivors are, with a huge mortality rate people will be spread out all over the place and there could be huge areas with nobody, with no electric and no fuel contact will be very sporadic , cities will be the flash point.

TMT Tactical and Morgan101 like this.
  34. Morgan101

455/460

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. Cities will be the worst.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    glad I don't live in a city anymore.

36. Morgan101

455/460

Blog Posts:
    My location isn't bad, but not nearly as rural as yours. I wish I was a little farther away from the city.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  37. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I moved from a city 20 years ago, i'm glad i'm nowhere near any large British city, what happens there when any collapse comes dosent bear thinking about(but we do).

TMT Tactical likes this.
  38. Keith H.

525/575

Blog Posts:
    If you had asked me this 40 years ago I would have said that I would not want TEOTWAWKI to happen, but right now I wish it would happen asap. I know many of you do not believe in global warming climate change, but I do, & I think that the only thing that can save this planet is a major shtf incident that will shut down all the coal fired power stations & stop the logging of the world's forests. It would also seriously reduce the amount of vehicles being used!
    There will be a TEOTWAWKI in the not too distant future, but this will be caused by global warming. This particular TEOTWAWKI event I believe will come too late to save the planet, it will simply be the prelude to the End of the World.
    Keith.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  39. TMT Tactical

477/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes the cities will be the worst for the unprepared but could be an absolute gold mine for those that understand city prepping and how and what to do. Those that do survive the die off, where some Planning and luck is involved (just like in rural life) will be surrounded by a huge asset garden of eden. Just about every resource will be available for future survival. You need good soil, fertilizer, pesticides, and seeds to grow your food, well the local garden and supply store will have all your needs and the looters will have skipped over them, because the they don't have a clue. Urban Preppers do need to think out of the box but survival is not only possible but once the riff-raff has gone away, then the rebuilding (family scale rebuilding) will be much easier. Now with that all being said, I still hope to be able to set up my rural homestead, because that does not require a massive die off to be successful. Long term survival during an economic collapse does require isolation and self sufficiency. A VZ style economic collapse is going to be very difficult to survive in the cities. An awful lot of luck is going to be involved.

Sonofliberty and Morgan101 like this.
  40. Duncan

Duncan Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    TEOTWAWKI? Ho-hum.

In the long term, it's not a big deal. H. neanderthalis had a real one, thanks to those pesky African sapiens guys coming along about 60,000 years BP, but other than that? The Carthaginians had one, courtesy of Senatus populusque romanum, and the Romans had it in their turn six or seven hundred years later. There's always some sort of national (or world-wide) Control-Alt-Delete every couple of centuries; everyone who survives gets shuffled up, then the smart guys move to the top and grease the skids for their offspring and here we go again.

This doesn't mean I'm pooh-poohing the thought of a major infrastructure collapse, thanks to whatever your bête noir happens to be. But since I've been a prepper or neo-prepper for about a half-century and none of the Really Bad Things postulated has actually come to pass, I take a bit more relaxed attitude.

Of course, if we did have a major collapse of the infrastructure -- whether economic, political or physical -- it doesn't hurt to be prepared and able to pull through. Speaking cynically, if you do, there's a good chance that your grandchildren will be the elite of their day, thanks to your prepping now!

I've got the goats off the bottle and outside now; the chickens have begun to lay, and the early stuff (kale, romaine, peas) is going in the garden in 3-4 weeks, and the SSI and pension checks keep coming. My only big prepper project for now is a FloJak 200-ft hand pump that fits in my well (alongside the big electric pump) which will provide drinking water when-and-if the electricity goes away. It's US$1,000, but it's a lot cheaper than a photovoltaics system, and who knows? It'll still work in a nuclear winter scenario!

That's about it as far as my preps are concerned. We have a little money in the bank (and under the bed), our house is pretty well fixed up, we're friends with all the neighbors, Dawn and I are both in good health for our age, and I even have a couple thousand rounds of various kinds of ammunition!

Ystranc, Morgan101 and TMT Tactical like this.
  41. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    Personally I think the climate change is a bunch of BS to distract people from the crap the politicians are up to and the control they're taking as they steal all the money too. In the grand scheme, humans and our records are a spot of fly poop on the timeline of the planet. I mean just over 200years ago was when we were just coming out of the last mini ice age and was about the time we got semi precise instruments and started keeping limited and often sketchy records. If one looks at it relative to the eons of time the planet has been spinning around the sun we don't have data to make any sort of statistical significance. Also with the numerous pieces of "evidence/ research" that the climate change crowd point to as proof have been shown at best to have been twisted and in most instances been proven to be straight out fabricated, it's hard to take it serious. Now I do agree a lot of the stuff we're doing or have done and are not trying to remediate is horrible. Logging isn't terrible when it's select cut and managed, in fact it reduces the forest fires like those that have ravaged the western US for years due to short sighted forest "management". If logged areas where better managed and followed up with critical replanting of areas that were clear cut and if forest succession plans were developed we could make great strides in making more diverse and healthy eco systems. If the principles of permaculture are applied and used to remedy areas that have been destroyed with things like strip mining or in areas where ag has created areas of desertification, it'd be a huge step in the right direction. Understanding that water needs managed, redirected and stored high up in the mountain ranges instead of making things like rain harvesting illegal and forcing people to let all the water run off. If given time and allowed to soak in from the top of the mountains on down to the plains the water tables can be rebuilt and vegetaion and land brought back to health. On the coal plants, there is state of the art technology to make plants clean but the govt restricts it being implemented and restricts it being sold off shore to the really bad polluters like China and India. Pet alternative energies are championed when there are many other options that make more sence - i.e. ethanol fuel gets subsidies while things like biofuels or say algeae generated oils are passed by when they are less energy intensive and more effective. I recall maybe 15 years back where a pilot system was built where CO2 was captured from a coal plants emissions and percolated thru tubes of a green algea that was then able to be harvested as an oil and used to generate diesel. huge promise and very little energy input but instead the govt backs a loser called Solyndra and threw away(into their pockets) half a BILLION dollars.

I don't think that TEOTWAWKI would be the reset button people think it would be. In fact, it most likely would be an environmental catastrophe. When the world is literally on fire, with cities, forests and the other things that make up our modern world flaming away; with the millions of cooking and heating fires survives will rely on; with nuke plant melt downs (they aren't all going to SCRAM); chemical plants/ refineries are burning (we just watched a small sneak peek of this in Houston this week), etc... what will that do for the air and water quality? When enough of that pollution gets up into the atmosphere and shades things out it will become like a nuclear winter. Gonna be hard to grow food in that weather. lots of trickle down impacts to air and water quality. I just don't see TEOTWAWKI ending up with the world becoming this garden of Eden. Maybe a 1,000 or more years after the fact things would settle down... but we'd all long be dust.

42. Duncan

Duncan Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Are you saying that human-induced climate change (as in your paragraph above) is a real possibility or a "bunch of BS"?

TMT Tactical likes this.
  43. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, to be clear I think climate change is a "bunch of BS" based on pseudo science. At least at the scale the progressive movements want everyone to believe. Are there localized environmental impacts - yes and can have micro-climate changes but overall global climate change I say no.

Cow farts aren't the downfall of the planet, heck the number of buffalo used to be about 2/3 or more of the number of cattle in North America today and our ancestors didn't die from them 150 or 200 years ago. The eco/enviro crowd appears to me to follow knee-jerk reactions to whatever they think will get them attention and money. I recall reading somewhere how back in the 70's around the time the first earth day was set up by the climate crowd they were screaming that we were headed into a global cool down akin to a nuclear winter and we'd all die in an iceage due to our pollution - to the point they suggested a plan to coat the polar ice caps in something like carbon black so the black color would draw heat and help to melt them back so we didn't freeze to death or die of thirst as the water was taken up and frozen in the ice caps and glaciers. When the attention and money was drying up, *poof* it's global warming and to cover their bases for the future they change the term to "climate change" when people weren't buying global warming.

44. Duncan

Duncan Expert Member
      170/173

Blog Posts:
    Well, given that even the nations which support doing something about climate change (i.e., every nation in the world except the US) are only paying lip service to any action, we'll probably find out a bit better in ten or fifteen years. I know that Idaho is a hell of a lot cooler and has more groundwater than Arizona, which is one of the reasons I moved up here.

CountryGuy, Ystranc and TMT Tactical like this.
  45. TMT Tactical

477/575

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I know several that have moved to Idaho and I have no problem with their choice. Since my plans do not require a working farm (all greenhouse and raised bed) then I don't need the fertile soil, I will import it to start and generate replacement or supplements soil as needed. I would not survive in a cold climate, so the desert suits me fine but it is not for everybody.

Morgan101 likes this.
  46. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    How is the tax, political and gun environment in Idaho? I know it seems like its a hot destination for survival and liberty minded people, just wondering if it's still that way or if they're getting an influx of the left coasters to jack things up like they have in Colorado and are trying to do in Texas.

I love Pennsylvania, I was born & raised here before I left for the Navy and then later after college when I left to start my career. I love the climate, fertile soils, heritage and the scenery here along with the open game lands and forests for hunting, fishing etc. And our family's are here.

But I'm so over the corrupt politicians, legal system and the crazy taxes. PA has the highest gas tax in the nation, some of the worst roads, and they steal the money to send to Philly, Pittsburgh and the other Dem bastions to keep their votes. Old school repressive laws, still some old Blue Laws on the books. I'd move but it'd take a train-full of explosives to move my wife away. I thought it looked like parts of Utah might be interesting but I don't know much about the state, the pictures I see things always look dry and barren so ...

47. Morgan101

455/460

Blog Posts:

CG: Good to see you posting. We are a thousand miles apart but really kindred spirits. I was a transplant to Missouri, and I have never been disappointed. I was very lucky to find a very compatible spot. At one time I wanted to move to California, but my wife, much like yours, would not move out of the shadow of the Mississippi River. You just resign yourself to it, and make the most. We have been very happy, and I am quite glad I never moved. Our politics aren't quite as bad as yours. I think we are much more conservative, but you have Philadelphia and Pittsburg, we have St. Louis and Kansas City. The city of St Louis doesn't even have an accredited school system the politics are so bad.

The climate here is pretty temperate. We have all four seasons, but our Winters aren't nearly as severe. Growing season is pretty good, and we can grow most anything. Water supply is the least of our worries. There is plenty of game, and hunting seasons probably run 9 months of the year. We even have a Beaver season. Deer and Turkey I wouldn't need a gun. I could just run one over with my car. Geese, ducks, dove in ample quantities.

We do have the New Madrid fault, but that seems to be more localized in the boot heel. If it really broke loose St Louis may be hit pretty hard. Seismic charts don't seem to show it going to far west.

Idaho seems to be a dream location for a lot of preppers. It would be interesting to see how Duncan likes it. James Wesley Rawles seems to swear by it. You are so right about libtards moving in and ruining the place. Ask Colorado how all that legalized marijuana is going.

poltiregist and TMT Tactical like this.
  48. CountryGuy

CountryGuy Expert Member
      173/230

Blog Posts:
    I get out to MO every few months. One of my employers customers is in St Louis *yuck* and I have a supplier in Lee's Summit which I like and I fly out of KC. Can't say I've been downtown KC. I'm not much on big cities anymore; I've spent time in NYC, Boston, D.C., Atlanta, Chicago, LA, San Diego, DFW, Miami, etc and they can keep'em all. My employer has a plant in Springfield but I've not made it out there yet. I've driven from St Louis to Lee's summit and saw what's along the interstate and it is pretty. I was blown away how the soil in some of the fields looks almost black.

I was pleasently surprised to find a pretty cool little survival shop outside KC, Riverside Survival. It had some decent stuff and prices. Last time I was there I picked up a few small things I could fit in my bag and get thru airport security.

Sonofliberty and TMT Tactical like this.
  49. Colorado Prepper

Colorado Prepper Expert Member
      123/173

Blog Posts:
    I guess I'm just gonna pop my head in here and leave my 2 cents. I personally would like to see a civil war, right here on my front porch. The things I see going on in my country, I can not bide by. And it is almost everyone. Every piece of Gov't is corrupt to some extent. And that allows for elitists to take hold, and they control the liberals through consumerism and the media. And the ones that control them, control the Gov't. I'm getting my ass taxed clean off. The more money I make, the more I an forced to pay out. I'm tired of being the middle man for the Gov'ts money. I'm tired of never being "allowed" to own anything. This country (and world) needs a cleanse. And I would love to be a person responsible for starting it. All gov't needs to fall. Every single person that so much as leans left needs to be dealt with. There are entire religions that need to be wiped from the face of the planet. You know the one. And if I mention this subject anywhere else on the web, I get censored, blocked and banned. No one can gather to start these things, because you can't communicate. Sometimes I just want to disappear from society and let shit happen how its going to happen. It's a rather frustrating feeling to actually BE someone that CAN do a lot for this country, but gets silenced. Makes me feel helpless to do anything.

50. TMT Tactical

477/575

Blog Posts:
    @Colorado Prepper

I hear and feel your frustration. And yes many of us want changes. I do not want a civil war, not now or in the future. I do want better for my country and would / will fight to defend it. War and especially a civil war is a very ugly and brutal event. I wish for better, I wish for my country to turn around before it goes of the cliff but I do not wish for civil war. If it comes, then so be it, but always be careful what you wish for, you just may get it.