How do you know if a cave is inhabited?

Discussion in 'Natural, Temporary, and Permanent Shelter' started by branchd77, Jan 17, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. branchd77

branchd77 Administrator Staff Member Gold Supporter
      257/345

Blog Posts:
    So if I were to stumble upon a cave in the wilderness and decide to use it for shelter, how would I know if it was inhabited? I wouldn't want to sleep in there with predators or other dangerous animals.

Tom Williams likes this.
  2. DavidH

DavidH Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    There would probably be footprints and a worn area around the entrance, most animals that would use a cave for shelter are carnivores so there would probably be remnants of dead animals around I.e.bones

Dustin and branchd77 like this.
  3. Rick Cahill

Rick Cahill Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    If the cave roars - leave. Look for trails to the cave, the smell of animals live or dead, and scat nearby.

4. Porcheagle

Porcheagle Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    Look for signs of tracks at the entrance. Anything living in there is probably going to be coming and going.
    Personally I wouldn't use a cave unless it was an emergency. Most likely your biggest threat will be little wrigglies that bit or sting.
    Happy trails

5. BIll Dockstader

BIll Dockstader Active Member
      33/47

Blog Posts:
    there is also the problem of fracturing stone, especially if you are planning a fire inside.

6. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:

7. Tom Williams

Tom Williams Moderator Staff Member
      330/345

Blog Posts:
    Cave look for tracks. Bones from meals shit shed fur. To deture them from comeing pee on trails that lead to cave human smell will most times turn away

8. jahroberts

jahroberts New Member
      0/0

Blog Posts:
    That's great advice mate.

I too was wondering about caves and took a look at this thread, this really helped me.

Definitely going to apply this to the rest of my knowledge as I'm not too experiences and/or knowledgeable on all this.