How Do You Rate People

Discussion in 'Survival Stories' started by remnant, Jul 9, 2017.

0/5, 0 votes

1. remnant

remnant Expert Member
      190/230

Blog Posts:
    In my country, people rate people based on their level of income by default. This applies in other countries too. There are many heroes and heroines in oblivion who don't come to the limelight based on their material status. I purpose there is an urgent need for a paradigm shift because wealth is worshipped at the expense of moral values even in Christian societies.

2. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't rate people very highly........period.

3. JimLE

JimLE Expert Member
      198/230

Blog Posts:
    it dont matter to me if a person is flat out broke,or the richest person on earth. if not somewhere in between i rate people by how they treat me..if they treat me right,and with respect.then i do the same with them..if their disrespectful towards me,and without just cause.then they've lost any chances of me having any respect for them.in turn,i'll have very little to do with them.if at all..

as a saying goes.i was a people person..then people ruined it..

Radar, GS AutoTech and Ystranc like this.
  4. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    People are as people do. Wealth, race or religion don't come into it.
    Keith.

Radar, GS AutoTech and Ystranc like this.
  5. streettallest

streettallest New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    I rate people based on my personal esperience with them. I try as much as possible to strike up an intellectual discussion with such person. If such person is able to hold their side of the conversation , then such person is intelligent.

Rating people based on wealth is inevitable in today's competitive world. So anyone who leads a comfortable financial life can be rated high by me.

6. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    their wealth wont do them any good post SHTF.
    I've never been very impressed by how much wealth someone had, usually means they stood on a lot of peoples backs on the way up.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Ystranc likes this.
  7. Xilkozuf

Xilkozuf Active Member
      41/58

Blog Posts:
    Rating people? Well.. it's not something I usually do. If I like a person, that's it, if I don't like him or her, that's it as well. There are some people I like, and some that I don't like, but I don't have a way to decide or rate them, it depends just on the person by himself or herself.

But this whole "rating people" questione made me think of the Black Mirror episode "Nosedive", which probably even inspired your question.

8. kgord

kgord Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't rate people. People are people. Some poor people are great, and many rich people are as well. Some poor people are lousy and some rich people are as well. You can't paint everyone with the same brush. There is nothing that goes for all people across the board.

Ystranc likes this.
  9. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't usually rate people. Still, i have a very developed intuition about almost everything and people are no exception to the rule. When I purposely choose not to talk or give attention to someone you can bet I know something others don't and usually I am right. You know that feeling that something isn't right? Well, it's instinct. We all have it and we all should learn to use it.

Ystranc likes this.
  10. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    i don't rate people, I usually have nothing to do with other people in normal life, moderating on one forum and running another one is about all the contact I have with other people.

11. Ystranc

Ystranc Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I don't rate people, I don't have that right. You can never truly know everything about a person so how can you be a fair judge. I do however take notice of an individual's actions, I'm often disappointed.

Radar likes this.
  12. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I agree that intuition is important and we should all pay attention to our feelings but it is difficult to know where intuition ends and irrational emotions or preconceptions begin.

Radar likes this.
  13. Maria_C

Maria_C New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    Well that's a situation we've found ourselves nowadays. It is sad really and that is why if care is not taken one would disrespect another just because he looked like he is not wealthy, looks can be deceiving really.

Ystranc likes this.
  14. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    Aye it is a difficult distinction indeed. From my experience intuition come to you as a light feeling. A friendly voice that tells you what you should or should not do. Irrational emotions like fear and anxiety usually come with a heavy emotional load. You will feel something like "I must do this or else something bad will happen!" It takes some practice but it is possible to differentiate.

Ystranc likes this.
  15. yunken

yunken New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I rate people base on their behaviors, charisma, ability to help the needy and how they handle situations when they encounter any problem. I don't think it is a good idea to rate people base on their personal income. Some may be earning more, but don't have the mind to help the society.

16. Clara1993

Clara1993 Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    For me I like to focus on myself and spend time thinking about what I can do to be better I mean to develop, Working on my dreams and trying to make every minute worthy living, So rating people is not my thing however I value people according to their morals and how they treat me, If you treat me good I treat you better if you are a good person toward others then I'll give you respect but the opposite I will never want anything to do with you.

17. Rhodolite

Rhodolite New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    People as a whole are just not very great in my books. Like the saying goes- a person is smart, people are dumb. Basing a person's worth on their outward appearance is a total faux pas these days. This isn't the 50's. The late 80's-90's was a great wake up call to that. Silicon Valley made people millionaires overnight. Income doesn't mean anything if they can't financially keep themselves above water and if they have a shitty attitude. I know people making 6 figure incomes who are so deep in debt their children are gonna end up paying for their mistakes. If I'm treated fairly by someone then I treat that person fairly. Respect is earned and civility goes a long way.

18. RosieCheeks

RosieCheeks New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    I rate people based on their manners, temper and behaviour. In certain situations, the person shows his or her true face and my perception can completely change. Nowadays, unfortunately, people rate each other mostly by income level, looks, clothes. Whoever possesses the most of it gets bigger respect from people. Well, we live in a material world. Money matters a lot. But imagine the situation when all money is gone, what will matter the most ambitions and richness or sense of humanity and survival skills?!

19. Ken S LaTrans

Ken S LaTrans Active Member
      48/58

Blog Posts:
    I don't care where someone exists on the economic scale. I rate people by how well they treat women, kids, animals, and if they are a hard worker or not. If they treat women, kids, and animals badly, then I have no time for them. If they are a welfare leech, then I have no time for them.

I made a good living. By any standards, my wife who is a trauma surgeon makes a phenomenal living...yet our friends tend to be those of more modest means who work hard, have good values, and try to be decent people.

I don't care if someone is gay, straight, black, white, red, brown, or yellow...as long as they're not a douchebag.

20. Oldguy

Oldguy Master Survivalist
      280/345

Blog Posts:
    I don't judge people but I do observe their actions not their words.
    If one is true to their word then the rest is of little matter.

21. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I don't know as I would use the word rate but I think everyone to some extent judges people and not everyone uses the same standards. You don't even use the same standards as you pass through the years. LOL, in the 60s the "Cool" factor was important. I think as we grow up we learn more and our tastes in what we like and don't like about individual people changes a lot. I think that my personal tastes tend towards people that have honor and a lively intelligent mind. I don't have much patience with ignorance. Stupidity you are born with and can't help but ignorance is a choice. Race, Creed, Color, Sexual orientation or National Origins just doesn't matter to me and money isn't the judge of a man.

22. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    In humans, I value resiliency, intelligence/wisdom, honesty, humility, industriousness/creativity, and a sense of humor. If a person cannot belly-laugh, that individual is damaged goods.

I can care about those who are themselves caring, however when I see a person caring indiscriminately, I lose respect for them -- they are terminally weak.

23. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I have little respect for other people, I find them useless at best and stupid at worst.

24. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    That's sad to me Lone Wolf. People as a species are a pack or tribal in nature sort of animal.

25. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    maybe at one time they were Tex, but I find modern people to be boring, useless and mostly stupid, I am better of without them, the things they say and the way they act are just beyond me.

26. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess that I've just been blessed. I've had some real losers in my life but I've had more good people that made putting up with the occasional bad one worth the effort. As I've gotten older I've gotten a lot better at sorting out the losers pretty fast.

27. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I guess as we get older we are less likely to put up with idiots.;)

28. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:
    Those that say they don't judge are lying without even knowing it. The truth is we all gauge people and "judge" people the moment we meet them for the first time. I think it's like in the first 15 seconds or less. Especially with those choosing a mate. It's in us all including the animal and insect world.

29. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    Well done Simpilot, you just managed to call me and several other forum members liars. I fully understand that you are talking about first impressions and their being a basic biological imperative but I would like to say that was remarkably bad mannered. As I've got older I've often found that first impressions are often completely worthless...some people just don't shine or seem particularly friendly when they first meet strangers or others who may seem personable at first may turn out to be less trustworthy than you would have thought.
    I'll say it again, I try not to judge people but I do take notice of their actions.

30. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    I think we need to take note of what other people are doing but more in a "situational awareness" sense more than any other.
    most people don't make eye contact, they shuffle past with their heads down invariably looking at the screen of their smartphone or with headphones on, sometimes both.especially in the larger urban centres, I blame modern life.
    I gave up on people long ago, people no longer make any sense to me and common sense in the human race is long gone.

31. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Master Survivalist
      407/460

Blog Posts:

I'm not wrong, and like I said, the animal and insect kingdom does it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/only-7-seconds-to-make-first-impression-2013-4

Further, I said you don't know it. It's not like I said you're a blatant judgemental prick or something.

32. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    keep it down a notch please.

33. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    It's ok LW, by his actions Simple is showing us what kind of man he is (or will become if and when he ever grows up a little)
    I have no intention of getting into a swearing match with him over this because I'm better than that.

34. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    One of the things that my wife found so shocking when she first went to work in the prisons was that so many of the young men that she encountered would, had she met them in the free world, been someone you would be happy if your daughter brought one home. They would be intelligent, polite, well spoken and seem to just be nice young men...Then she would pull up their records. Oh my GOD. so many of those "nice" young men had LOOOOOONG and violent histories leading to multiple visits into the prison system.

Strangely enough the most civilized people in prisons are often the murderers. The people that were there for low level crimes were there after many previous convictions where many of the murderers were there and the murder is the only crime that they had ever committed. A lot of murderers are just people that were pushed to far by an asshat or people that just made a mistake of judgement like driving vehicular homicides and getting in a fight and someone dying and that was never the intention.

She spent 25 years dealing on a daily basis with people from all walks of life and one thing that she regularly had shown to her in vivid details is that you can't ever just judge someone by your first impression or even based on one thing that they did.

Ystranc likes this.
  35. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    its okay mate, with my moderator hat on, I have no intention of letting it get that far.

36. reynolds

reynolds New Member
      6/29

Blog Posts:
    Ayn Rand said that about 3% of the population are the sail that drags the rest thru the water and the rest were just the lead that kept the sail upright in the wind. She viewed her job, as a philosopher, to be the creator of an outrigger, so that we dont need nearly as much lead to keep sailing, indeed, to increase our velocity.

37. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    you lost me there mate. people are sails??

38. Ystranc

410/460

Blog Posts:
    I think the gist of that philosophy is that some people consider it the duty of the rest of the population to support them and that part of the rest of the population to be dead weight and should be dispensed with so that the "sails" don't have to work as hard.
    Not cool....

39. lonewolf

510/575

Blog Posts:
    yeah sounds about right. every time I take the car out I drive on the pretext that every body else on the road is stupid or crazy or both, and judging by the things they do i'm proved right!

40. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    That thar Reynolds feller izza talkin' poetree-like. He's gone t'usin' them words what that Ayn Randy girl used to deeeescribe them thar folk what have ther heads up in the sky.

They is them what might think that thar Ayn wuz right fulla herself and all, don't'cha'know.

Then they wuz Mr. Soupy Sales:

41. TexDanm

TexDanm Shadow Dancer
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    Honestly most people don't rate a rating at all. They are thoughtless, shallow and just a waste of space. People used to be able to hide this behind manners that they were taught by their parents. Now with kids being warehoused in daycare and then stored in schools rather than taught by them manners just are not a thing for most younger people. Without this buffer on their mouths their vapidness is on full display.

lonewolf likes this.