How Do You Retain Information?

Discussion in 'Mental Preparedness' started by DecMikashimota, Jul 6, 2016.

0/5, 0 votes

1. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    What way for you personally to retain information? Are you able to get something on first try or does it require a bit more effort? If following instructions is more difficult for you then you are most likely a hands on type of person. That's okay, most of us requires repetition in order to get something down. What is an effective way that you have been able to improve your learning and memorization skills?

Keith H. likes this.
  2. richj8am30

richj8am30 Member
      18/23

Blog Posts:
    The best way I've been able to learn and memorize is by incorporating acronyms or a play on words that is either funny or just plain clever. It is even better if your memorization phrases incorporate a topic that you are already very knowledgeable about. Now when it comes to hands on activities, techniques can be memorized in phrases as well, otherwise its just good old repetition.

3. Keith H.

Keith H. Moderator Staff Member
      525/575

Blog Posts:
    I need to see it done & then hands on. But I have done enough experimental archaeology now to be able to read something & then work it out for myself. I teach others hands on & through my videos, so I understand how difficult it can be for some people to learn primitive skills.
    Keith. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHEOMSZJETfj3GnoyONuvCQ?view_as=public

DecMikashimota likes this.
  4. DecMikashimota

DecMikashimota New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    That is true. Thanks to SHTF Youtubers such as yourself, newbie preppers like me have been able to reap the benefits. Seeing some examples done in a step by step format, is probably one of the most helpful ways when it comes to learning new things.

Keith H. likes this.
  5. My3Sons_NJ

My3Sons_NJ New Member
      8/23

Blog Posts:
    There is the old saying, "see one, do one, teach one" concerning learning new skills, especially survival skills. No one innately knows how to skin and/or butcher an animal, build semi-permanent shelters, administer first aid or start a fire without the aid of a lighter, match or other fire-starter. These are the skills that we are taught, work to perfect and then teach the next generation.

6. Valerie

Valerie Active Member
      43/47

Blog Posts:
    I'm a quick study. Being a dancer and having nearly self-taught myself another language, I'm quite good at immediately memorizing things. I also enjoy studying and doing researching, so I know how to find answers to my questions. However, I'm very much a kinesthetic learner, so I need to be able to incorporate all of my senses in fully retaining information. When it comes to survival knowledge, I'm glad my father gave me hands on experience with starting fires, pitching tents and changing tires and other basic mechanics.

7. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Well-Known Member
      95/140

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure but I have a noticed a decline in memory abilities lately. Perhaps age, or just really, really busy lately. Regardless, I have been working at improving it. I was relying heavily on list-making until I noticed that this seemed to be making it even harder to remember things. So I am weaning myself off my lists as much as possible. One thing that is important is to practice mindfulness (staying present - a Buddhist practice). This really helps because it is calming and keeps the mind from racing, thus allowing for better concentration. I also use the power of suggestion and objects to help me remember. Say I need to remember to move the car before go to bed. I could write a sign that says, "Move car before bed". But instead I just put my car keys in a prominent place in order to remind me. This works very well.

8. Arkane

Arkane Master Survivalist
      275/297

Blog Posts:
    In some respects I am great and some things I am rotten at!
    Names and numbers I am bad at remembering unless I am impressed with the subject! I can remember some girls face name and phone number from fourty years ago
    but not the dull nobody from last week or even ten minutes ago!
    Technical stuff I am interested in I remember well, the principles if not the specifics over time.

By now there are few things that I see that I do not understand how it works, its a bit like mental Xray vision!
    After studying anatomy I can easily imagine the working organs of most animals! when guiding a hunt and seeing a shot hit game I can extrapolate how quick it will go down and expire
    quite well! won a few bucks on which organs were hit many times:D

9. lonewolf

lonewolf Societal Collapse Survivalist. Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    I write it down, or print it off if its on the internet, then I keep it in a hard backed file.

10. Deathisue

Deathisue New Member
      8/29

Blog Posts:
    I usually improve my holding ability by repeating patterns, tasks or images or using any possible trick to remember specific information, one of them is to associate things with themes and really helps a lot.

11. GS AutoTech

GS AutoTech Expert Member
      232/345

Blog Posts:
    When I want to really lock down something I read it, say it, hear it, see it, handle it or use it. Then write it. Using as many senses as possible all together at once. My normal memory is good but I have a selective subconscious filing system. If the back of my brain decides "for me" that something should be retained it sticks. Many other things just vanish. Lol

12. PedroP

PedroP Active Member
      38/58

Blog Posts:
    I employ a unique method that I find that it works best for me. Personally, i can't focus on the same thing for long. So whenever I have to study I usually read a couple of paragraphs and listen to some music or watch a video. Then within 10 minutes I go back to studying. This way the mind doesn't get tired and I can study for longer and remember the content better.