How Important Is Knowledge To Survive?

Discussion in 'Other Useful Objects' started by Forelli_CH, Nov 25, 2019.

0/5, 0 votes

1. Forelli_CH

Forelli_CH New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Hi

I've just seen preppers videos on Youtube, so I've only been involved with this topic for a short time. The videos talk about many important points: Water, supplies, shelter, defense, etc. Also how important practical exercises are again and again.

However, I wonder whether it is not just as important to have as much information and knowledge as possible available. For example, information about plants, medicine, chemistry, survival guides, geology, DIY guides, perhaps also school knowledge etc. I don't think you can prepare for every eventuality, so you might have a better chance of responding to unplanned events.

What do you think? Have you also stored books (if yes, which ones?) or do you simply trust your acquired knowledge? Or are there other solutions? How do you feel about electronic data storage such as laptops or tablets (e.g. download Internet;))? You don't have to assume an EMP or a solar storm right away.

Cheers
    Forelli

2. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    My main information storage is my memory. That can't possibly hold and recall everything so I have numerous books. Some are things that I know but many books contain knowledge that I want available. I have either read them and kept them for reference, or just kept them for reference and will read them as time or need dictates. They cover, but are not limited to, energy, medical, construction, repair, and gardening. I have some resources that I keep on my computer but those are there for convenience and are considered as lesser resources as they are easily lost. Anything valuable is kept as a hard copy. I have various books on Kindle. These are for entertainment like novels, or they are educational books where I have similar hard copies.

3. TMT Tactical

TMT Tactical The Great Lizard !
      480/575

Blog Posts:
    All categories are important, yes, food, water, shelter, fitness, (I lost out on that one) defense are all equally important but are also next to useless without the knowledge and skills required to use the knowledge. Printed "How To" books, publication and articles are required. Nobody can know it all but most can read and learn. I store information in many formats, printed , electronic video (my favorite, as I am visual) CD video, and of course electronic data --- computer harddrives. Any and all forms of information storage can be destroyed but we can only do our best to preserve our personal knowledge base. Ask yourself what area of survival are you weak and then start collecting information to help improve your knowledge base in that area. Do not spend a lot of money on "STUFF", until you have the needed knowledge and skills to use the "Stuff" proficiently. As an example: if yo don't know how to skin an animal, then you won't need a smoke house.

Morgan101 and Alaskajohn like this.
  4. Old Geezer

Old Geezer Legendary Survivalist
      515/575

Blog Posts:
    TMT Tactical likes this.
  5. Alaskajohn

Alaskajohn Expert Member
      227/230

Blog Posts:
    Knowledge, skills, preps, critical thinking, location, mindset, health and conditioning, etc are all important. There are way too many variables to chock it up to one isolated factor. The more complete you all in all facets, the better your odds. But everything is interrelated. You can have everything set and find yourself in the wrong location when it hits the fan and it can be over for you. So yes, knowledge is important, but so are so many other factors.

Morgan101, TMT Tactical and Sourdough like this.
  6. Brownbear

Brownbear Expert Member
      230/345

Blog Posts:
    I believe knowledge is key. Without knowledge every single act is a learning step. When TSHTF it will not be good time to learn and learning resources such as the internet may no longer be available.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    knowledge and the skills to use that knowledge will be more important post SHTF than any stockpile of food or other supplies, these will be finite whilst skills and knowledge will last a lifetime.

Brownbear, TMT Tactical and Rebecca like this.
  8. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      452/460

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Forelli,

Welcome to the Forum. Glad to hear of your entry into the world of prepping / preparedness.

Your paragraph 2 is really describing a REAL education: botany, medicine, ... A good education is the key. Education is not to be identified solely with schools and universities.

There are common denominators to both known and unknown emergencies.

I have many subject-matter books here but what I really rely on are selected photocopied pages (and then laminated) of stuff that I typically forget such as how to convert great circle statute miles into nautical miles, how many drops of bleach to disinfect cloudy water, expressions to de-escalate a conversation at, for example, an emergency shelter or truck stop.

For the realistic emergencies I prepare for, I would never remove gloves to type on a PC.

As you delve deeper in preparedness, you'll see what is best for your situation and environment. Then the questions and the seminars at the conference room. This is a close substitute for a conference room !

.... and no ties and sports coats needed !

Again, welcome to MSF.COM.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  9. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      193/230

Blog Posts:
    I managed to staying alive to write this mostly due to a mix of wit, training, common sense, and sheer luck rather than any stored supplies or equipment

TMT Tactical and lonewolf like this.
  10. F22 Simpilot

F22 Simpilot Expert Member
      180/230

Blog Posts:
    As they say, knowledge is power and it's the truth. Or is that fact? :D

Whether it's about self-defense, hunting/trapping/fishing/ first aid, communications, electronic/mechanical, etc all require knowledge and know how.

I hate that books people read are in digital format anymore. Unless all that is backed up to M-Disc, it's going the way of the dodo. And even then, what computer can read it post apocalypse? I personally have several books written by former SEALs, SAS, CIA, etc on how to fight, escape and evade, footprint tracking, you name it. I even have a book on how to stay invisible in this day and age. I know how to bury or properly burn a body if necessary, I can more than likely start a Cessna and fly the sucker where I need to. I do have an above average amount of knowledge in aviation and know my way around a 737 cockpit including programing a FMC (Flight Management Computer). I have acquired a particular set of skills like in the Taken movies. All of my computers are encrypted, their clones, etc and when you walk into my room without doing something in a App on my phone, the computers power off. No access once so ever. I'm not one to be F-ed with. And I do have the Anarchist Cookbook for future use should I need the skills.

I'd start with the book called Art Of War by Sun Tzu. *Waves hi to all the king's horses and all the king's men* LMAO

TMT Tactical likes this.
  11. F22 Simpilot

180/230

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a threat unless shit hits the fan. Then I pull a Nathan Hale and tomahawk an aggressor's ugly face.

IaJ8GTsisx6X8slCZ_nkK6ZS_JcbO9F6.jpeg

TMT Tactical likes this.
  12. Morgan101

Morgan101 Master Survivalist
      455/460

Blog Posts:
    It looks like it is pretty universal. Knowledge is critically important. Having a hammer and a saw doesn't make you a carpenter. It is the one thing that can never be taken away from you. No matter what the situation you will always have it.

13. varuna

varuna Tree killer & a cat person
      193/230

Blog Posts:
    That is true, however I recently just learn (since 2 months ago) that both physical & mental health / fitness are far more important than anything.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  14. Forelli_CH

Forelli_CH New Member
      3/29

Blog Posts:
    Thank you very much for your contributions, I am very impressed about this forum!:):)

I also think that knowledge is the key. I will put together a set, if possible on simple paper. I will also think about in which area I miss the most knowledge and continue my education there. I can't be prepared for everything, but maybe a little better than now :)

During my research I found a free opensource software where you can download the whole Wikipedia and load it onto a tablet (search for "kiwix", hope it's not illegal advertising, but it's free, I can't get rich;)). That sounds interesting, but it is electronic, which is not the best solution.

What do you think? Besides the electricity, can I really keep any electronic data safe?

Caribou and TMT Tactical like this.
  15. TMT Tactical

480/575

Blog Posts:
    No, electronic data will degrade over time. But it may last as long as we do. :D All the data storage forms have their special place in relationship to need and retrieval. Best bet is to store on computer and then sort and print the most important info and file it away. You can't be the library of Congress :eek: but you can become one of the best informed preppers. :)

GateCrasher and Caribou like this.
  16. Caribou

Caribou Master Survivalist
      250/345

Blog Posts:
    As TMT says, print out the important stuff. Many peppers have 3 ring binders and organise their information by category, i.e. medical, gardening, survival, etc.

Having a list of websites is also a good idea. Remember to prep for everything going along fairly normal. Disasters can be global, regional, national, or local. They all have one thing in common with the last category. They are all personal. I've never seen a tornado but I have been sick and unable to work.

GateCrasher and TMT Tactical like this.
  17. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Master Survivalist
      452/460

Blog Posts:
    Good morning Caribou,

Excellent point ! Disasters ... one thing in common ... They are all personal".

If, for example, someone living in Hurricane Alley needs to routinely take a RX medicine, appropriate supplies of this medicine are still needed if the area's water turns into ice bergs. Same for decent work gloves.

The related premier point frequently neglected is getting sick and I'll add "infirm" related to the aging process. Did not participate but read about that 40yo guy with the 8 German Shepard dogs living in some sort of buried 20 ' container. Thre picture showed the exit via a ladder. If this "hermit" (I believe we are BLESSED that the real journalist did not label him a Prepper !) got hurt or sick, he'd have problems getting out. My example re this is not using multi-tools. I have arthritis and cannot always open them - presuming I'd even take off gloves in certain situations. Sheath knives are the premier solution. Same principle for evac masks.

TMT Tactical likes this.
  18. F22 Simpilot

180/230

Blog Posts:

Already did that and I stuck the whole thing on M-Disc along with other stuff like the entire Bible, the National Anthem, etc. It's my wish to have this disk/s placed in my casket when I die as I believe one day my grave will be an archeological find.

Google M-Disc. They have at least a 1,000 year life span.

GateCrasher, TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  19. TMT Tactical

480/575

Blog Posts:
    F22 good info on the disks. I had never heard of them.

Caribou likes this.
  20. F22 Simpilot

180/230

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, you can buy M-Discs on eBay. You'll need a Blu-ray burner capable of burning M-Discs. I have a Pioneer myself.

TMT Tactical, Caribou and GateCrasher like this.
  21. GateCrasher

GateCrasher Expert Member
      247/345

Blog Posts:
    Great advice about prepping for the "fairly normal", don't spend all your retirement savings buying preparations for a global catastrophe.

On knowledge, agree with Morgan and his carpenter comment. But on the flip side - you might, for example, try to start your car and hear the solenoid click, feel/hear the starter motor start to turn and then stop, and come to the knowledgeable conclusion your battery is most likely dead. That knowledge alone however isn't going to start your car.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  22. lonewolf

lonewolf Moderator Staff Member
      510/575

Blog Posts:
    knowledge could be the thing that divides the living from the dead in a SHTF situation.
    the masses will not know what to do( no knowledge, no research) because they didn't think anything bad could happen to them.
    obtaining the knowledge beforehand could determine who lives and who dies.

TMT Tactical and Caribou like this.
  23. watcherchris

watcherchris Master Survivalist
      410/460

Blog Posts:
    I'm good people. I deserve the best this world has to offer....and someone else to pay for it for me!!!

Therefore all I have to know about is what the Kardashians are doing.

Watcherchris

Not an Ishmaelite

TMT Tactical likes this.